X99 Motherboards Will Support Intel Broadwell-E Processors With BIOS Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the rumor mill, the yet-to-be released Intel Broadwell-E processors look to be supported by current X99 motherboards with only a simple BIOS update required for most motherboards. Good news for all you X99 motherboard owners out there with plans to upgrade to the Broadwell-E processors when they hit the market.

not bad if true, would certainly save me a few pennies if i wer to decide to upgrade

It will be interesting to see how much the Broadwell-E will cost, and exactly how it stacks up against the 6700K.

Broadwell-E is just a die-shrink of Haswell-E so I wouldn't necessarily expect anything miraculous in regards to performance.

Broadwell on the desktop (5775c) performed so well because of it's massive 128MB eDRAM L4 cache. That cache is shared with the GPU though and the GPU is almost certainly the main if not only reason the eDRAM is even on there. Since Broadwell-E won't have an integrated GPU, it's pretty safe to say that it won't have any eDRAM L4 cache either. So much for that performance boost...

If it overclocks extremely well compared to Haswell-E, that could be nice, but given what we've seen from 14nm so far, I would make sure to set expectations low...

The final questions are, particularly for the affordable chips, how many cores? How many PCIe lanes?

Back