Uber Driver Pulls Gun On Passenger

HardOCP News

[H] News
Feel like you are going to get sick while riding in an Uber car? You might want to think twice about that. Just imagine what would have happened if the passenger would have actually puked in dude's car. :eek:

Upon opening the rear passenger door, McDonald “attempted to pull the victim out of the car by grabbing his left arm,” a Manatee County Sheriff’s Office deputy alleged. During the argument that ensued, McDonald first took an “aggressive fighting stance” and then reached into the car and “produced a black semi-automatic handgun,” according to a probable cause affidavit.

Too bad there wasn't a good Uber driver with a gun to fix the situation. This story has too low a body count.

I love how it is somehow magically newsworthy when Uber drivers act like cab drivers once in awhile. I've taken more than 50 Uber trips and haven't had a single issue. I've only had a couple cab rides that weren't a clusterfuck in some way, with the worst being left unconscious in a snowbank at 3am.

Look at the dudes other comments and friends comments, look and sound like a bunch of ass hats. Willing to bet they were all drunk and acting up, he decided he no longer wanted to give them a ride, they didn't want to get out. Gun should have never been pulled however, unless something happened that was not mentioned.

I love how it is somehow magically newsworthy when Uber drivers act like cab drivers once in awhile. I've taken more than 50 Uber trips and haven't had a single issue. I've only had a couple cab rides that weren't a clusterfuck in some way, with the worst being left unconscious in a snowbank at 3am.

... Well? You gonna leave us hanging here about that story?
I've very rarely used cab. I used 8888888 and it was a run down vehicle that smelled like gas. I called 3333333 from a hospital waiting by the ER, never showed up.. They kept saying yeah yeah they are going, I would wait 30 min call again for 1 and a half hours.. I was not there as a patient but maybe they thought so never intended to pick me up. I then called 7777777 and it was fine.

Maybe thats because Uber made it a point to throw it in the media that passengers are not allowed to have guns.....

No one mentioned this part?
article said:
When questioned by cops, McDonald admitted “grabbing the gun out of the car,” but denied pointing it at Fabry. McDonald said he retrieved the weapon “because he was in fear for his life.” Asked why he was scared, McDonald replied that his passengers were talking about “sticking dicks in his ear.”

Is this story real?...

If someone ordered me out of their house or car and I instead decided to tell them to eat shit, I would pretty much expect to be staring down a gun barrel.

How could this happen? I thought uber had a no gun policy.

Yeah we're going to need some details on that......

Got really drunk at a show, called a cab because I couldn't obviously drive, handed my ID (address), and bank card to the Radio Cab driver, passed out about halfway home, woke up a couple hours later in the snow with my hat and cards in hand still two miles from home.

Cab driver also gave himself a 100% tip on my card. Contacted cab company to file a complaint, no one claims to have given my a ride that night but my bank statement says otherwise.

Got really drunk at a show, called a cab because I couldn't obviously drive, handed my ID (address), and bank card to the Radio Cab driver, passed out about halfway home, woke up a couple hours later in the snow with my hat and cards in hand still two miles from home.

Cab driver also gave himself a 100% tip on my card. Contacted cab company to file a complaint, no one claims to have given my a ride that night but my bank statement says otherwise.

Hope you printed out proof and then promptly called you CC company to reverse the charge, if they cab company sticks to their story they wouldn't fight it and you'd get your money back.

Look at the dudes other comments and friends comments, look and sound like a bunch of ass hats. Willing to bet they were all drunk and acting up, he decided he no longer wanted to give them a ride, they didn't want to get out. Gun should have never been pulled however, unless something happened that was not mentioned.

You're right, He never should have pulled that gun.

Instead he should have driven them to the Police Station and told them to get out just one more time .... :D

If someone ordered me out of their house or car and I instead decided to tell them to eat shit, I would pretty much expect to be staring down a gun barrel.

Except that the car is being operated as a business so personal property or not, people have entered into a business agreement here. And you know what, even in someone's house, "if you are invited in", and in this case the passengers were invited in. Then in simple terms, even if asked or demanded to leave, unless you provoke the owner and become threatening, the owner shouldn't be going for a gun, he should be going for a phone.

That is what you should expect from others and yourself. Unless of course you aspire to living behind bars awhile.

They're trying to build a narrative to either get rid of Uber or regulate them into the ground. Have you heard about what is going on in France? Cab drivers barricading highways with burning tyres.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35410038

That is terrible, and extremely dangerous for him to do that. In that state you could have been passed out long enough for hypothermia to kick in. I get it that it's probably really annoying for cab drivers to deal with that (and I'm sure it happens often) but come on.

That is terrible, and extremely dangerous for him to do that. In that state you could have been passed out long enough for hypothermia to kick in. I get it that it's probably really annoying for cab drivers to deal with that (and I'm sure it happens often) but come on.

Yeah that was terrible, and I imagine they deal with a bit, but this time he was guaranteed payment ( I imagine some pass out before any payment presented) ... Taxi driver could have killed the poster like you said... Just wow!

Pretty much. End of story. It he said/she said crap but if you are on or in someones property and are told to GTFO..... you better get going.

That's why you don't take a cab. You try to make it home before you pass out. You can get seriously injured or killed by a cabbie. Better to be safe than sorry. :) (don't take that seriously, please. I definitely don't suggest drinking and driving!).

Sounds like he over reacted to the situation or wanted to be a bad ass... He failed.

Who the fuck drives a $75k car to do Uber runs?

On the flip side, if the guy asks you to get out, you get out. Sounds like these punks could have used a pistol whipping.

Every driver I get is from the local university and they are always foreign students with immaculately clean cars and very polite. Maybe it's because I'm always needing a ride back Sunday's mornings?

In response, one of Fabry’s friends remarked, “Nice... You should have puked in that shit!!” Another pal declared, “You shoulda shit too. LOL.”

I'm going to totally profile that guy (the passenger, not the driver) based on the photo in the article and his friends' reactions, and jump to the conclusion that he was probably acting like a twat and deserved it.

Maybe you threw up in his cab and he kicked you out? I could see someone giving them a big tip for the cost of having to clean that up.

He still should have taken you home though. That's dangerous.

Except that the car is being operated as a business so personal property or not, people have entered into a business agreement here. And you know what, even in someone's house, "if you are invited in", and in this case the passengers were invited in. Then in simple terms, even if asked or demanded to leave, unless you provoke the owner and become threatening, the owner shouldn't be going for a gun, he should be going for a phone.

That is what you should expect from others and yourself. Unless of course you aspire to living behind bars awhile.

You entered an agreement to not act like a total douche bag when you got in the Uber car as well. The moment you start acting like a dick the "business agreement" is null and void. Driver kept to his side of the deal until the other side failed to do so.

Was a gun excessive? No. You don't know these people, you don't know what they're capable of, and they're threatening you. They aren't getting th fuck out of your car like you're telling them too and that can make someone feel very threatened.

Think about shit before commenting.

You entered an agreement to not act like a total douche bag when you got in the Uber car as well. The moment you start acting like a dick the "business agreement" is null and void. Driver kept to his side of the deal until the other side failed to do so.

Was a gun excessive? No. You don't know these people, you don't know what they're capable of, and they're threatening you. They aren't getting th fuck out of your car like you're telling them too and that can make someone feel very threatened.

Think about shit before commenting.
Not really your an independent contractor using ubers agreement which doesn't have such clauses so you are in violation of the silent contract in which uber would label that under normal wear and tear and not be liable to clean anything up for you. Uber doesn't give a shit about it's drivers.

AHH. Vampire rules :)

The title is misleading. The way I read the details is that the Uber driver was doing his job, he reasonably asked the passenger to exit his vehicle (if you're going to puke, you don't belong), and the passenger was probably drunk and belligerent and trying to physically harm him, so he nipped it in the bud and pulled his gat to defend himself.

Maybe it played down differently and the cabbie over-reacted, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over a lack of information.

What the driver should have done instead is drove and stopped near a police officer and asked for help removing the people from his car.

The title is misleading. The way I read the details is that the Uber driver was doing his job, he reasonably asked the passenger to exit his vehicle (if you're going to puke, you don't belong), and the passenger was probably drunk and belligerent and trying to physically harm him, so he nipped it in the bud and pulled his gat to defend himself.

Maybe it played down differently and the cabbie over-reacted, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over a lack of information.
v7IqVJt.jpg

There were passengers in the car. Fabry the potential vomiter asked the driver to pull over in the event that he would throw up. After the driver stopped and Fabry felt better asked for the route to be continued driver demanded that he leave. When Fabry did not do so driver attempted to force him out. After that Fabry exits the car and begins to argue with the driver at some point the drivers produces and brandishes a gun at Fabry.

The Uber driver isn't suppose to have a gun so he wasn't doing his job. He also picked up Fabry with other people and failed to do his job of actually completing the route. He was far from doing his job, drivers begin and end the charging process so the driver can accept a ride, fail to deliver on the ride and charge a passenger for that period.

Instead when Fabry tried to avoid vomiting in the car instead of doing the reasonable thing and ask the other passangers and Fabry to keep an eye on him so the driver can pull over in case of vomiting or produce a bag to vomit into like a reasonable person who drives people places he demands Fabry to leave the car in god knows where then tries to force him out then pulls a gun on him after Fabry exits to argue with him.

Back