10 Days Left To Claim Free Bonus OneDrive Storage

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is a friendly reminder for those of you who would prefer to have 15GB of storage instead of 5GB.

In early November, Microsoft announced a sweeping set of changes to OneDrive, specifically by dropping its free storage options from 15GB to 5GB, dropping unlimited free storage that came with some Office 365 plans, and by dropping some paid plan tiers. Of course, this caused a bit of a firestorm, and in December, Microsoft backed down, giving current OneDrive users the opportunity to keep their 15GB storage plans by opting in.

It's a joint MS/NSA offer: scan through 15GB, instead of 5GB, of personal data. Claim the offer now!

My bing bonus is still good though till next year anyways so free 100gigs.

My bing bonus is still good though till next year anyways so free 100gigs.

Did you follow the link to "reconfirm" that? Otherwise they might cut you off in 10 days for that. There was no grandfather clause, it was come Jan 31 we are dropping all of this stuff and you get 5gigs only. If you did what that link says and click a button to confirm your account or whatever they are calling it then you get to keep at least some of the bonuses, don't think all of them however.

Many times 'free' comes with a very high price. :eek:

OneDrive Preview needs your permission to:
Sign in automatically
Signing in with your Microsoft account will automatically sign you in to this app.
View your profile info and contact list
OneDrive Preview will be able to see your profile info, including your name, gender, display picture, contacts, and friends.
Access your email addresses
OneDrive Preview will be able to see the email addresses in your profile.
Add or remove bonus storage
OneDrive Preview will be able to add bonus storage to your account. It will also be able to remove this storage (but no other storage), at any point in time.

Many times 'free' comes with a very high price. :eek:

OneDrive Preview needs your permission to:
Sign in automatically
Signing in with your Microsoft account will automatically sign you in to this app.
View your profile info and contact list
OneDrive Preview will be able to see your profile info, including your name, gender, display picture, contacts, and friends.
Access your email addresses
OneDrive Preview will be able to see the email addresses in your profile.
Add or remove bonus storage
OneDrive Preview will be able to add bonus storage to your account. It will also be able to remove this storage (but no other storage), at any point in time.

I don't see where you are pointing at a problem there. If you log in with your Microsoft account it has access to your Microsoft account.. makes sense. I would hate if I logged into my email and it didn't have access to my contact list, or my name or any other needed info. That would be a minor issue. One Drive, outlook (previously Hotmail and live mail), office apps, xbox live and skype are all parts of one service. So it makes sense that they all have access to your account info since they are all tied to the same account. The mail app would give you the same thing, yet you wouldn't be surprised by any of that.

If you choice to use the service and you choice to use the app, and if you log into your computer with a Microsoft account (3 things you decide to do) it automatically connects your one drive share so that you can access your files without having to log in yet again to the service. Again makes sense as I would hate if I logged into my computer and then had to log into every single network share on my computer when in the office. Imagine the pain in the ass that would be, you need to upload a file so you have to enter in your username and password in the office every time you save a file, then when you go to open a file. This is the same only for home use. You have already logged into your computer, thus it has the information needed to map the share (one drive) that you told it to map.

So personally all of that looks correct to me.

Question: How do I keep my 200gb free storage offer once it expires? :p

Sign up for Office 365, and get 1TB... um... outside of that sorry. Personally I am not a fan of this change. That is nice that they gave those of us who use it for "normal" things the ability to claim our extra storage for at least a little longer but in this day and age if they want to actually offer a service it needs to offer a lot of space. Just like how email used to all be 10MB of space or something like that, then around 100, then 1GB, then unlimited as they realized that people would store more and more and that space is cheap. Same here, people want to store files online. I can see maybe not having an unlimited amount of space, but higher limits and keeping with free bonuses for using their products / services should stay. Xbox 360 cloud save storage used to be 512MB, now with the Xbox One including backwards compatibility which uses cloud saves they made that 1TB now. So they expanded that. Why shrink the desktop side when they are starting to push that as a service to use between windows phone, windows desktop and everything else. Even recordings from your Xbox one want to save themselves to your One drive.

Thanks for the reminder. I use it store documents across the computers in my house....it's easier then using a flash drive. It also came in handy when I rebuilt my garage computer and completely forgot to save the car maintenance logs I had on it. Luckily I saved them to Onedrive and was able to recover them easily.

Back