California Trying To Ban Sale Of Encrypted Smartphones

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though California is following New York's lead in calling for a ban on all encrypted smartphones. What happens to existing phones if this is passed? Will you have to get a new phone to be in compliance with the new law? Will it be a crime to be caught in possession of an encrypted phone?

California assembly member Jim Cooper (D-9th) introduced the legislation -- bill 1681 -- which requires any smartphone manufactured "on or after January 1, 2017, and sold in California after that date" to be "capable of being decrypted and unlocked by its manufacturer or its operating system provider." Any smartphone that couldn't be decrypted on-demand would subject a seller to a $2,500 fine.

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

What in the fuck is going on in this country and that god forsaken shit whole of a communist state?

It looks as though California is following New York's lead in calling for a ban on all encrypted smartphones. What happens to existing phones if this is passed? Will you have to get a new phone to be in compliance with the new law? Will it be a crime to be caught in possession of an encrypted phone?

California assembly member Jim Cooper (D-9th) introduced the legislation -- bill 1681 -- which requires any smartphone manufactured "on or after January 1, 2017, and sold in California after that date" to be "capable of being decrypted and unlocked by its manufacturer or its operating system provider." Any smartphone that couldn't be decrypted on-demand would subject a seller to a $2,500 fine.

It specifically said a ban of the sale of said phones, which would not include previous transactions. It is gonna be a rough sales tax time if this were to go through. People will buy their phones outside the state.

Just another reason why I'll never step foot in NY or CA....let alone live there.

Big Brother much?

To be clear, this is one retard democrat in the State Assembly, 1 out of 80 members. Introducing a bill doesn't mean it passed. This guy is in his 60's and and probably has nostalgic dreams each night about the era before smartphones and technology.

To be clear, this is one retard democrat in the State Assembly, 1 out of 80 members. Introducing a bill doesn't mean it passed. This guy is in his 60's and and probably has nostalgic dreams each night about the era before smartphones and technology.

You give the democrats in the State Assembly way to much credit.
This guy is just the front guy pushing the bill. The majority of them are fascist that think only a bigger government (run by them of course) can protect you. The rest are common criminals getting rich off big government.

stupid question what about the tourists that come to both these states for a holliday?

While this may be one silly retard, asking for even more retarded regulation - I'm pretty sure Silicon Valley will just tell him to go fuck himself.

You give the democrats in the State Assembly way to much credit.
This guy is just the front guy pushing the bill. The majority of them are fascist that think only a bigger government (run by them of course) can protect you. The rest are common criminals getting rich off big government.

Technically Communists, not Fascists. They look at China with envy.

Say, didn't we see that thing the other day about China's Pentagon-inspired shopping mall that they spent billions of their taxpayer's dollars on that now lies vacant?

Welcome to the future folks.

stupid question what about the tourists that come to both these states for a holliday?

They aren't banning all encrypted phones, only sales of encrypted phones. You can come and go as you want to with a phone you bought previously, or from somewhere else.

I wouldn't buy a car in CA either. Why pay extra for CA emissions when you can go somewhere else?

Don't worry guys. There will always be some country that makes phones that aren't unlocked so it won't be that much of an issue...
Oh wait a minute, it WILL be an issue for everyone reading this since nobody here uses teh interwebs to order stuff online! :p

This is beyond stupid.

It will hurt regular users by making their personal data and banking information vulnerable to identity theft, while doj g nothing to stop anything but total amateur Terrorists and criminals, as if you are up to no good, it is trivial to install a mobile OS with your own encryption.

The people introducing bills like these are fucking morons.

We should be doing the opposite, requiring that all devices, be they mobile or stationary provide bulletproof end to end encryption on ALL communication.

Police didn't have cellphones to collect evidence from before the smartphone era, and they still managed to do their jobs.

Maybe they should focus on doing real investigative work rather than being lazy and trying to rely on snooping on people's phones through backdoors that inevitably make them less secure.

Well I guess because I have an iPhone, that makes me the bad guy. Sounds like every thread in this forum. :D

Please remember politicians are not the dog. They are the tail. Where is the money coming from?

Please remember politicians are not the dog. They are the tail. Where is the money coming from?

Yeah, which is why I find it unlikely that with Apple and Google both having such large presences in California, their lobbyists are already at work killing this bill.

At least I hope so.

Tek Syndicate said it best with the idea that Apple and Google could sell cell phones without software but when brought home it could load up the software, including the encryption. See the phones weren't sold with encryption, that was something added after the phone was sold.

Given how many talented modders and hackers there are in the world, it wouldn't be hard to implement encryption technology back into phones Smart Phones today are just computers and like any computer it can be modified. If I wanted to I could load Ubuntu instead of Android, and that'll really throw off authority. A Cop would be like, "What's this an iPhone or Android?"

Just put a crappy vendor OS in that is immediately wiped and replaced after point of sale.

Sell it unencrypted with an icon on the front screen "Encrypt now" for the user to do it as soon as they get home. Problem solved.

Sell it unencrypted with an icon on the front screen "Encrypt now" for the user to do it as soon as they get home. Problem solved.

Yup, if this even passes that is the most it will do, it probably will ask you 3 times at initial setup and randomly afterwards

I wouldn't buy a car in CA either. Why pay extra for CA emissions when you can go somewhere else?

You can't register a new car into CA if it doesn't meet their emissions standards. Now if you only buy used cars (2+ years old) then you could do it, but not sure that you'll save much in that case.

Won't pass either chamber, so even a veto threat is unnecessary.

It specifically said a ban of the sale of said phones, which would not include previous transactions. It is gonna be a rough sales tax time if this were to go through. People will buy their phones outside the state.

This is just the start. I did tell you guys that the government would not let Apple get away with this.

I can see the game play now, it's starting in NY and CA because they want to drive Apple into dealing with the Federal Government avoiding making them look like the bad guys. The Feds keep asking Apple and the others to work with them to develop as solution that fits. This is simply the result of Apple and others refusing to accept that they will not be allowed to make it impossible to tap a phone or retrieve user data when required by law.

Sorry, but I told you so.

Looks like we need to recall the good Assembly man from the 9th district.

I'm not sure that buying the phone from out of state will get around it either.

(3) "Leased in California," or any variation thereof, means that
the smartphone is contracted for a specified period of time to an
end-use consumer at an address within the state.

Looks like we need to recall the good Assembly man from the 9th district.

Exactly. It's amazing how many in this thread are acting like this has already passed or that it is representative of the official stance California is taking on this issue. It's not. California is a big state and this is just some dumbass assemblyman from the valley (mostly poor people and farm land, only notable city is Sacramento).

This is standard operating procedure in California. Cars have to be set up a certain way in order for them to be sold there and registered. With guns, there is an "approved" list of guns citizens of California are allowed to possess and own. Now, it's smartphones.

Exactly. It's amazing how many in this thread are acting like this has already passed or that it is representative of the official stance California is taking on this issue. It's not. California is a big state and this is just some dumbass assemblyman from the valley (mostly poor people and farm land, only notable city is Sacramento).

I am already talking to my rep on twitter. He is not very supportive of attempts to remove our right to privacy of our own data. Time will tell if he has the nerve to tell them to stuff it.

This is standard operating procedure in California.

Because a single assemblyman (out of 80) introducing some dumb bill means it is law amirite?
tard.gif

Do you understand that any assemblyman (or woman) can essentially introduce any bill that they want to, and that it doesn't mean jack shit until it passes? Do you understand how representative government works, or do you only understand click-bait headlines?

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

What in the fuck is going on in this country and that god forsaken shit whole of a communist state?

Correct, welcome to the new and improved nanny state.

Fuck the bill... and Fuck that Jim Cooper....

How the hell all these morons are serving our nation...

Just another regulation in the state of CA. These idiots have nothing to do so they just make shit up.

Correct, welcome to the new and improved nanny state.

Wrong wrong wrong. This is an authoritarian position, which runs across the political spectrum. I doubt I agree with you on very much (I'd certainly never use the meaningless nanny state pejorative), but I agree that we shouldn't have back doors for encryption and we shouldn't ban it.

Diane Feinstein is only one democrat as well. You can see how little she cares for the Bill of Rights as well.

Fuck the bill... and Fuck that Jim Cooper....

How the hell all these morons are serving our nation...

The same way that guy from Vermont that thinks Guam is gonna tip over from too many Marines being stationed there.

Diane Feinstein is only one democrat as well. You can see how little she cares for the Bill of Rights as well.

Diane Feinstein is one of two Senators that represents the entire state. This assemblyman is just one fucktard that represents nothing but his relatively tiny and insignificant district. And as much as I hate Feinstein, I doubt even she would be dumb enough to support this sort of bill.

Back