Cool Kickstarter of the Day

I don't want to deprive anyone of their dream, but I mean I can buy a $5 adapter with USB ports included and I don't have to replace the outlet. I just don't see a lot of market for this unless the price is so reasonable that new construction can install them everywhere.

Two things come to mind when I see this, first any chance they really get NEC approval? Being as it's a plug it is considered a permanent fixture, so it needs to go by them first, not just UL certification. Second, that constant movement of the plug outward, what's happening to the wires in the box? Are they moving at all? If so that's a huge no no since that'll stress them and cause breakage over time. And even if the wires aren't moving, how does the socket move without wires? I would think even if they had some floating contacts that overtime those would wear down and then you get the potential for arcing and fire hazard.

Two things come to mind when I see this, first any chance they really get NEC approval? Being as it's a plug it is considered a permanent fixture, so it needs to go by them first, not just UL certification. Second, that constant movement of the plug outward, what's happening to the wires in the box? Are they moving at all? If so that's a huge no no since that'll stress them and cause breakage over time. And even if the wires aren't moving, how does the socket move without wires? I would think even if they had some floating contacts that overtime those would wear down and then you get the potential for arcing and fire hazard.

Even if the wires don't move themselves, SOMETHING that's making contact (whether it be some form of brush, or conductive bushing of some type) IS moving. Eventually whatever it is WILL wear out, and these become dangerous.

Even if the wires don't move themselves, SOMETHING that's making contact (whether it be some form of brush, or conductive bushing of some type) IS moving. Eventually whatever it is WILL wear out, and these become dangerous.

This ^

First thing I thought of as well.

Yes my last sentence that you quoted ;)

It's a neat concept, but there's a lot of problems with it. Primarily, there's very little room inside a typical single gang electrical box to allow for a 12v transformer, Romex wirring, release mechanism, hinge and plug/rotation assembly. Also, a plug like this would likely be 10x - 20x the cost of a similar solution using small wall warts. USB standards are constantly evolving; it would likely be obsolete with the next release of fast charging cell phones.

BTW, their illustration shows the use of a deep single gang outlet box which aren't as typical in interior installations.

In addition to the issues already brought up, I just don't see two extra outlets making that much of a difference for most people. I'd still need power strips anyway, so why get this? I'd benefit more from a bunch of USB ports, than two outlets.

The release latch looks like the 1st thing that will fail. Prefer that the hidden sockets themselves could rotate 90 degrees for those oddball wall adapters. See Quirky Power Pivot power strip if you want to example.

Really this looks like it's all about cost. If they can get mass manufacture them cheap it will sell.

Even standard wall outlets wear out over time. The cabin I was staying at a couple weekends ago had worn out receptacles. Plugging devices into them they weren't "snug" and whatever you plugged into them they would almost just slip right out.

Also gotta say in the video the picture of the microwave, coffee maker and toaster all in the same area... yeah you do NOT want to plug all of those into the same receptacle as that's a sure fire way to trip your breaker if you decide to use all of them at once.

Also gotta say in the video the picture of the microwave, coffee maker and toaster all in the same area... yeah you do NOT want to plug all of those into the same receptacle as that's a sure fire way to trip your breaker if you decide to use all of them at once.

That's why you disable the breaker, dummy. Duh. :D

Nothing says toast + coffee + oatmeal like a house fire. Really gets you up in the morning.

The problem I have with outlets is when I need one, it is behind furniture.

I'd like it better if it had no moving parts. As it was always in the "out" position, its not like it wastes a lot of space.

I'd like it better if it had no moving parts. As it was always in the "out" position, its not like it wastes a lot of space.

But then you'd bump into it all the time. There's a reason outlets are usually flush with the wall.

As for the electrical connections wearing out I think a brush system would work. Brushes in motors spin thousands of revolutions per minute and last for a very long time so I could see that aspect lasting a life time. The hinges and latch however look like a problem.

I see this as a bad product that has already been solved by power strips or if one knows they are going to need that much power in a location you can put 2,3,4 in a row with proper breakers but for your home electronics an ACP would be ideal. Then I go out to the living room and my wife has 6 powerstrips plugged in together with all her lighted do~dads and holiday stuff buzzing and smoking so I just raise my insurance and buy stock in fire extinguishers.

Even standard wall outlets wear out over time. The cabin I was staying at a couple weekends ago had worn out receptacles. Plugging devices into them they weren't "snug" and whatever you plugged into them they would almost just slip right out.

Had the same problem with my house.
Only 20 years old, and almost every plug had the same problem. Since the house was a fixer anyways, I ended up replacing every plug and every light switch as I redid each room. Even the nice décor ones where cheap when bought in 10 packs.

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't just install a standard 4 or 8 socket unit. You've not saving much space and you have the chance of mechanical failure. It all just seems like a cheap gimmick rather than an innovation anyone really needs.

Usually when I need to plug in more than 2 things to a single outlet, I need to plug in a lot of things. Media center, Computer, etc. I would need a power strip anyway. If and when I get new sockets, I am going to get z-wave ones.

Legrand already makes outlets that have similar functionality. Lowe's sells them. The receptacles have a flat face and popup revealing 3 sided outlets. Great way to hide them from babies.

But then you'd bump into it all the time. There's a reason outlets are usually flush with the wall.

Constant out would be nice for specific areas. Plugs behind shelves and files cabinets chief among them. Can be a real pain once everything is installed and being used and then years later a person wants more power an the only plug is behind very full furniture. A plug out at an angle like this would make things slightly better.

However not sure it would be worth it even during the construction phase if you couldn't pop it out or swap it quickly and easily. And without an electrician being required.

My first though was great a new way people can overload circuits then complain when the breakers pop.

Video wont play only audio, I get the typical "flash is blocked because it's unsafe" stuff but when I say unblock only the audio plays.

But form what I imagine it is, it looks like a neat idea if it's solidly built and does not feel too flimsy. I would also hope that the USB only works when something is plugged in, so it's not wasting energy for the conversion process.

Video wont play only audio, I get the typical "flash is blocked because it's unsafe" stuff but when I say unblock only the audio plays.

But form what I imagine it is, it looks like a neat idea if it's solidly built and does not feel too flimsy. I would also hope that the USB only works when something is plugged in, so it's not wasting energy for the conversion process.

It doesn't have USB ports :p

More practical to just get one of these:

5pSUoGl.jpg

as mentioned, there is quite a few obvious flaws with something like this

you can see in the demo when the pop it open one of the other plugs almost falls out too, and the moving parts are a fire hazard at some point

Don't see much use in this. things will now stick out more from the wall due to the design, as other said you can already get 4+ port outlets. If you need to replace the box anyway might as well go with the existing tech that won't break as easily.

As far as USB ports. I am always a tad iffy on getting something like that as I know that older chargers won't work on new devices. Do you have the same problem with the ports on the outlets where you put in an outlet with USB ports and then something new comes out that needs more power and suddenly they are worthless?

Do you have the same problem with the ports on the outlets where you put in an outlet with USB ports and then something new comes out that needs more power and suddenly they are worthless?

I have 1 in my house in a spot in the kitchen where we walk in and throw down our keys, mail, etc. And the only reason I have it is my company built some of the parts in there so it was an extra sent to us for display. So far the only thing it won't charge is my Surface3 (non-pro). I believe it is only a 1a output. But it's been good for my phones and such over the last ~5? years. It works, but I wouldn't go replacing them all over my house.

When we remodel the kitchen I already have plans for our "put your shit here" spot, but still haven't figured out what kind of outlet we will go with. USB A is headed out the door so...

Such a horrible idea... Looks like most of the posters above have covered my thoughts...

2 extra plugs? Most adapters won't fit, then there's the safety standards to adhere to and I have a hard time believing it's not going to burn my house down, moving in and out like that...

Back