Netflix Price Hike For Grandfathered Members Coming Soon

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just a reminder that Netflix members like myself, that still only pay $7.99 per month, are facing a price hike soon. It's only two bucks so it's not like a big deal or anything, especially since everyone else has already been paying $8.99 to $9.99 for more than a year already.

In its fourth-quarter letter to investors, Netflix NFLX, -0.68% said it will release a substantial number of those subscribers from their grandfather clause. That means they’ll have a $2 increase in their subscription if they want to keep the standard service, or otherwise sign up for the lower-tiered $7.99 service that streams video in standard definition on one screen. The company didn’t specify a date, but said it will happen through the second and third quarters.

I like how they say 'it will release a substantial number of those subscribers from their grandfather clause.' Like they are doing us a favor by releasing us :rolleyes:

No doubt some will cry like their wages have been garnished.

^LOL... between Netflix and Amazon video I am super happy with internet video. If it wasn't for College football on ESPN I would have already cut cable.

Yeah, mine will go up in after mid-May. Not a huge deal but I do get a little ticked when the catalog loses stuff. Like all the Star Trek movies used to be there, now many are gone like Wrath of Khan and the new Star Treks.

^LOL... between Netflix and Amazon video I am super happy with internet video. If it wasn't for College football on ESPN I would have already cut cable.

I am in the same boat, but at the rate my cable bill keeps going up I'm tempted to cut cable any way and just deal with missing some games.

I like how they say 'it will release a substantial number of those subscribers from their grandfather clause.' Like they are doing us a favor by releasing us :rolleyes:

You do realize this is a letter to their investors, their investors that expect Netflix to make money on their investments.... :rolleyes:

Of course its worded like they're doing a favor, because they ARE doing their investors a favor.

Completely worth it. Not only has their streaming content vastly improved since launch but their original programming has proven to be some of the best stuff on "TV."

Completely worth it. Not only has their streaming content vastly improved since launch but their original programming has proven to be some of the best stuff on "TV."

Yea house of cards is amazing its up their with breaking bad

Baseball is what really gets me - almost 0 broadcast games.

I'm so glad I don't watch any sports. You suckers are the ones keeping the old-media buggy-whip makers in business. Don't worry, something's got to give at some point. I've been cable-free for a while, I hardly noticed for the first few months, apparently I don't watch much tv anyway.

I remember people getting all BENT out of shape when they raised the prices for new sign ups. Sounds like Netflix has managed to direct that RAGE toward the cable companies jacking up prices.

After the grandfathered pricing expires, and if no 6 or 12 month pricing packages are put forward to replace it, I'll probably drop to subscribing every couple months, I just don't even watch Netflix that much anymore.

Not a fan of it, of course (who likes paying more for something?!). But, it's still worth it at $10 a month.

The way I see it, buying a season of tv shows is around $2-$4 episode on itunes, rentals are $1-$6/movie, etc. $10/month is still pretty good value assuming you watch more than 5 hours of netflix a month.

The rotating catalog is a bit annoying, but you can always buy movies/seasons of stuff you really like on itunes or blu-ray or whatever.

I'm still paying for TV... but I might give it up this summer when my contract expires. Lately there's been shows that it won't let me PVR... pretty much ends tv for me. Commercials are bad enough, but trying to force me to watch something during a time slot is a complete non-starter....

The best value netflix offers me is their own new content. Keep that coming at high quality and I'll keep paying. I tried shomi and cravetv (canada's netflix alternatives by Bell/Shaw/Rogers etc) and canceled both. crave had a couple things I was interested in, but once I finished them there was nothing else. shomi was a technical disaster and the quality was crap.

Oh, looks like this will affect me - think I'm still only paying ~$7/mo. But for the amount of entertainment available there I'm ok with paying a little more. Compared to how much I used to spend on collecting DVD's and how much binge watching I do on NF currently, I'm making out like a bandit by getting the majority of my entertainment from them.

That said, there are other options out there, and I will totally cancel my membership if/when they hike it to $15+ a month.

I'm so glad I don't watch any sports. You suckers are the ones keeping the old-media buggy-whip makers in business. Don't worry, something's got to give at some point. I've been cable-free for a while, I hardly noticed for the first few months, apparently I don't watch much tv anyway.

I watch a bit more TV, but not enough to justify keeping cable.

I've only kept cable so far to be able to skip commercials with the DVR, and to be able to record NFL games when I'm on the go.

But now that Hulu has an ad-free option, which covers all my Comedy Central and Fox (Gotham) and NBC (American Ninja Warrior). And I can get Showtime without cable, which covers about everything.

I'd be saving about 50 bucks a month even with Showtime and ad-free Hulu. Now I just need to find the right USB tuner card for my HTPC :D

If you live in the US check out Sling TV. It has ESPN and ESPN2 (as well as a lot of other "cable" channels) for $20/mo and streams over your internet connection using a Roku/Amazon Fire TV

Yeah, mine will go up in after mid-May. Not a huge deal but I do get a little ticked when the catalog loses stuff. Like all the Star Trek movies used to be there, now many are gone like Wrath of Khan and the new Star Treks.

I kinda feel like movies that I go back and watch are worth buying, thus the loss of Trek doesn't bug me. It's when a movie goes a way and I didn't know it was there until a few days before it's pulled (cause Paste tells me this stuff)

Well I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix. If they raise price, I guess I have to drop Netflix.

$10 is still acceptable as long as they can keep up with their great original programming and keeping up with adding contents as mentioned already. And now that there is a Netflix gift card, it is possible to buy it at 20%~35% off to offset the increased cost. Same with paying by iTune gift cards which can be purchased with the same amount of discounts easily.

Netflix raises prices from $8 to $10, a +25% increase, and everyone is oknp

Time Warner increases prices by $5.50, a +9% increase based on their $50/mo 200 channel promotional pricing, and everyone is up-in-arms.

Amazing the perception of value!

(I'm oknp with Netflix increase)

Netflix raises prices from $8 to $10, a +25% increase, and everyone is oknp

Time Warner increases prices by $5.50, a +9% increase based on their $50/mo 200 channel promotional pricing, and everyone is up-in-arms.

Amazing the perception of value!

(I'm oknp with Netflix increase)

Most people watch 5 or 10 channels. The other 190 are just clutter on the dial.
People like the quality of Netflix programming.

Also, those are 200 commercial free channels (or even 5 to 10). Honestly, I suspect Netflix could go to 15. Maybe not today, but over the next 5 years almost certainly.

It's not a big deal now but one day it will be $20 per month instead of $10 and then it will be a big deal - baby steps.

We have Prime and Netflix. Never had cable. We hardly watch broadcast TV anymore.

Currently rocking subs to DirecTv, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. More and more Netflix just serves to disappoint me when I can't find a movie I want to watch that's cycled off their roster.

I subbed waaaaay back in '99 when they started the flat-rate monthly rental stuff. I was out in Okinawa at the time and the service was great since our dial-up internet sucked. Quit my sub for a while in 03-06, then got sucked back in. Was pretty miffed when they doubled up the price if you wanted to still be able to get DVDs. More and more it seems like the stuff I want to watch is DVD only but I'm not gonna pay twice just to rent the occasional movie.

The only thing keeping the Netflix sub active is kid's shows.

it really depends on the shows and how up to date you want to be on your shows. for me, i like netflix. i don't watch much tv and the quality and stability is very good. however, my gf watches a lot of crap tv shows (think "reality" shows) and she always wants to keep up to date with them. so we keep koditv as adjunct, but even though she's really pushing to get back on DirecTV.

Unless you actually like the Netflix exclusive stuff, the value of the service has gone way down. It's far more like they are charging a monthly fee for a single TV broadcast station.

Currently rocking subs to DirecTv, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. More and more Netflix just serves to disappoint me when I can't find a movie I want to watch that's cycled off their roster.

I know it's "old school" but their mail DVD/bluray service has a much better selection of movies than their streaming service, both in terms of newer popular movies and older/more obscure movies. It's not as convenient as streaming, but I'd rather have less convenience and actually be able to see the movies I want to see.

I think their selection of TV shows on the streaming service is generally a lot better than their selection of movies too, although even a lot of those get cycled off the roster randomly.

About a year ago I consolidated my mother's account and my stepfather's account into my account ($11.99/mo quad stream). That package doesn't appear to be changing in price.

Does anyone know what Netflix says about account sharing? Is it acceptable for parents to share their account with their 3 children? How about four adult friends sharing the same account?

Sling TV has espn and espn 2 for $20 a month.

I have netflix, amazon prime, hulu, and sling tv. With other apps and my brothers log in I also have access to HBO Go, FX Now, and Fox Sports Go.

With all that and my internet bill of $50 a month, it is far cheaper for me than the $145 bullshit TWC was trying to push on me with a HD DVR player, HD channels and the same speed internet.

I know it's "old school" but their mail DVD/bluray service has a much better selection of movies than their streaming service, both in terms of newer popular movies and older/more obscure movies. It's not as convenient as streaming, but I'd rather have less convenience and actually be able to see the movies I want to see.

I think their selection of TV shows on the streaming service is generally a lot better than their selection of movies too, although even a lot of those get cycled off the roster randomly.

I'm not sure why teh Cycling is a huge deal (though I get the disappointment if you want to see a movie that just went away). This isn't that different from a premium movie channel. Movies are there for a few months then they go away.

That said, I agree if you want to watch lots of movies the disk service is the way to go....better quality too. Of course if you're interested in new releases, Red Box is always an option too.

Does anyone know what Netflix says about account sharing? Is it acceptable for parents to share their account with their 3 children? How about four adult friends sharing the same account?

As far as I know, i havent heard anyone getting penalized or banned for sharing accounts. I think when you try to stream over the limit, it just kicks you off or prohibits additional streams until the limit has not been exceed.

http://time.com/money/4043147/hbo-netflix-amazon-prime-share-account-password/

Read something that Reed Hastings doesn't really mind sharing; I guess it leads to people getting their own sub once they run into device limits.

Read something that Reed Hastings doesn't really mind sharing; I guess it leads to people getting their own sub once they run into device limits.

Eventually that stand will change, but for now, they don't care. HBO largely has the same position about sharing HBO Go.

Back