NVIDIA-Powered Cars Unveiled At Detroit Motor Show

HardOCP News

[H] News
It may be 10 degrees outside of the Cobo Convention Center in downtown Detroit, but things are heating up inside as the 2016 North American International Auto Show (aka the Detroit Auto Show) opens its doors to the public tomorrow. The Big 3 and most other major automakers are showcasing what the world will soon see on the streets. Here’s a taste of some of the NVIDIA-powered cars on display.

Doubling down on its Motor Trend “SUV of the Year Award,” the Volvo XC90 just bagged the “North American Truck of the Year” at the show. Volvo will soon add NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 as the artificial intelligence brain of this luxury SUV when its Drive Me program kicks off next year. This first-of-its-kind program will let Volvo customers operate leased XC90s in a fully autonomous mode around Volvo’s hometown of Gothenburg, Sweden.

Presenting another highlight of its product portfolio, Porsche is introducing the 911 Turbo and Turbo S, with neck-snapping acceleration and less fuel consumption compared to previous generations. But the car itself isn’t the only thing that’s quick. The 911’s new infotainment system, powered by NVIDIA, can access the latest traffic information and even visualize routes with 360-degree images and satellite images. It’ll make sure you not only arrive in style, but exactly where you need to be.

I always imagined that GPGPUs were the future for all the electronics that are being added in cars. Perhaps game developers and physics cards could work together on real cars and to benefit both hardware and software. They do say GPGPU computer programming is really really reallllyyyy hard.
As a Michigander I find this exciting!

Back