Microsoft HoloLens: “Totally Wireless,” 5.5 Hours Of Battery Life

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The unit will feature both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and under heavy use, should last 2.5 hours. The developer version is priced at $3,000. Will the HoloLens be the catalyst for a major display trend?

…the best part of Harris’ talk was the mention that the HoloLens will apparently be able to connect with other units, including over the Internet. HoloLens owners will thus be able to share experiences with other HoloLens users, viewing an object at the same time. The experience will naturally depend on the available bandwidth, like for any Internet-connected device.

>and under heavy use, should last 2.5 hours

So actual runtime will be ~1.75hrs?

The developer version is priced at $3,000.

So...$500 for the hardware, and $2500 for the developer license?

MS should be paying more attention to how Oclulus did development (gave away the dev tools, and charged below cost for the dev hardware), but instead they seem totally fixated on the way Sony does things (charging a premium for dev hardware, while charging an excessive amount for the dev license).

Fixating on only one competitor (especially the one most similar to you), while ignoring all the others, is a great way to come in a distant 3rd or 4th place. A perfect example of this is MS fixating on Palm and Blackberry while developing windows phone, only to get wiped-out by Apple and Google.

So...$500 for the hardware, and $2500 for the developer license?

MS should be paying more attention to how Oclulus did development (gave away the dev tools, and charged below cost for the dev hardware), but instead they seem totally fixated on the way Sony does things (charging a premium for dev hardware, while charging an excessive amount for the dev license).

Fixating on only one competitor (especially the one most similar to you), while ignoring all the others, is a great way to come in a distant 3rd or 4th place. A perfect example of this is MS fixating on Palm and Blackberry while developing windows phone, only to get wiped-out by Apple and Google.

There are a few things to keep in mind. One is that the Oculus is a VR system, this is an AR system so you are looking at completely different areas. The Oculus and Hololens are not competitors to each other by any means. Things you do on one system can't be done on the other at all. On top of that the Oculus needs a pc to do all of its rendering, its processing... the Hololens is a standalone unit that does all of that on its own. So basically a tablet worth of hardware wrapped around your head. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if the price actually ended up being more than the Oculus. I would say that $3000 seems a little high for them to be able to sell them for retail, but I could see a price tag of $800 - $1000 being possible for a starting price given the difference between the two. That is still cheaper than the cost of the Oculus and a new pc with needed hardware specs. Plus they have very different uses.

Very interesting, I wonder if the tx built into it will cause tumors like a cell phone can.

Everything is know to case cancer in the state of California. Even play sand for a sandbox. So I am going to say yes, California will prove that it causes tumors somehow. Might require you keep it running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on your head for 100 years before it causes one, but that is enough for them.

I meant in actual normal everyday use the way cell phones have been shown to. The same way police radar has in officers using that tool.

Which had never been proven. There is currently zero evidence that cell phone use is tied to cancer in any way. Same goes for using wifi or police radars. Showing that cancer has went up as cell phone use has increased doesn't mean anything. During that same time the national debt has increased also. Maybe the national debt is giving us all cancer. I mean I can very easily prove that both have went up.

You should go to work for ReynoldsAmerican.

Had to go look up who that was. In that case there is proof that cigarette use causes cancer. However there is not a study that shows what you stated before. The cancer association along with all other medical groups all say that there is no evidence from studies that it causes cancer.

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

Although there have been some concerns that radiofrequency energy from cell phones held closely to the head may affect the brain and other tissues, to date there is no evidence from studies of cells, animals, or humans that radiofrequency energy can cause cancer.

It is generally accepted that damage to DNA is necessary for cancer to develop. However, radiofrequency energy, unlike ionizing radiation, does not cause DNA damage in cells, and it has not been found to cause cancer in animals or to enhance the cancer-causing effects of known chemical carcinogens in animals

To get back to the actual topic.

I wonder how long before they come up with a way to use it and charge it at the same time. Or how hard it is to change out the battery. That would be the one problem I would have with something like that. We all know how quickly a laptop's battery goes to shit and starts giving you 1/2 the charge time. And also if you invest in one of these to use for project design you aren't going to want to stop working for X amount of time every few hours for your monitor to charge. Imagine if you had to stop using your laptop every time the battery got low for you to charge it back to 100% before being able to start using it again. That would be a pain.

Back