What's The Best Windows 10 Web Browser?

HardOCP News

[H] News
What is the best Windows 10 web browser? To find the answer to that question, the folks at ZDNet put today's most popular browsers to the test.

On this system, besides the latest versions of Edge (25) and IE 11, I tested at the latest versions of the most popular desktop web browsers. These are Chrome 49, Firefox 43, and Opera 34. I didn't include Safari in this round-up because Apple no longer releases new major versions of Safari for Windows.

Best browser... that's like asking which form of cancer is your favorite.

Varies by who you ask. It's like asking who makes the best car. They're all a pain in the ass when it comes down to it.

They all have their pros and cons. I still like Firefox for it's flexibility, and for having a development agenda that is not dictated by the goals of any specific large corporation.

Yea whichever one works best for you and properly handles the most important websites you need. Sometimes there just is that old site or whatever that doesn't work right and you need a different browser to view, less common as of late it seems for me though.

Is Edge any better? I tried using it, but the no-plugin decision made it useless to me. It also didn't do anything that really wowed me, so I just stuck with Chrome.

They all have their pros and cons. I still like Firefox for it's flexibility, and for having a development agenda that is not dictated by the goals of any specific large corporation.

There is such a thing as the Mozilla Corporation. SJWs have a hand in Mozilla and therefore Firefox. Notice how many features Mozilla launched over the last couple of years are being killed off.

On Windows 10, I think clean builds of Chromium (not Chrome) are the best way to go.

The best one is the one that works for you.

Indeed, it's not like you can't have 4 different browsers installed like I do typically. The question is what do you want as a default.

Is Edge any better? I tried using it, but the no-plugin decision made it useless to me. It also didn't do anything that really wowed me, so I just stuck with Chrome.

The problem with Edge is lack of features at the moment. But I'm finding the engine pretty solid. It's fast, works well on resource constrained devices like Atom tablets, touch friendly and better on battery than Chrome.

If you read the article, it's all about the writer attempting to show that Edge is the best browser now, but he couldn't do it with a straight face because Edge doesn't play well with Facebook yet.

If you read the article, it's all about the writer attempting to show that Edge is the best browser now, but he couldn't do it with a straight face because Edge doesn't play well with Facebook yet.

Hmmm, my wife uses FB with Edge all of the time on her tablet with touch, she prefers the web site to the app. A Bay Trail Atom tablet at that and it works fine. In the rare cases I use FB, I use it with Edge with no problems.

lynx_zpso68jol42.png

Same browsers I used on Win7 :)
locked down / customized Palemoon for the usual browsing, Chromium as default browser (snappier then Palemoon). Chrome/Firefox for websites that can't stand not using the latest crap (and some reason I'm visiting them), and Opera 12 for those special moments.

After putting my new computer together I did the plunge to Win10; while I have pretty much everything back the way I like, I gotta say this white theme is pretty ugly :)
Anyone have any luck getting transparent titlebars working?

conversations-between-browsers-2.jpg

More seriously though, are performance benchmarks really that important in browsers (within reason?)

I'd argue that proper rendering of web standards and security should be the things that really matter.

Performance is only a concern if it makes the browser so slow to use as to be annoying, and I haven't seen any browser like that...

On Windows 10, I think clean builds of Chromium (not Chrome) are the best way to go.

Mostly agree. Chromes built in and patched flash plugin is very useful though. Or at least has been.

Hopefully soon we will be rid of flash once and for all.

Zarathustra[H];1042085892 said:
Hopefully soon we will be rid of flash once and for all.

Flash is going away but it's still going to be years more before it's insignificant I think. There was simply a lot developed in Flash and that's just going to take time to get moved over.

Don't get me wrong.

I actually prefer a nice command line and text based config files to a gui and endless menus, at least in a server environment.

And lynx/links2 are great in a pinch, but there is no way I'd prefer then to a GUI browser.

Serious question: If someone uses a pure text-based browser like that one pictured above, and they visit the [H] or some other websites that are ad-revenue funded, does that count as ad-blocking in some manner or... or simply ad-deficient or some other term I can't come up with at this moment? :D

Serious question: If someone uses a pure text-based browser like that one pictured above, and they visit the [H] or some other websites that are ad-revenue funded, does that count as ad-blocking in some manner or... or simply ad-deficient or some other term I can't come up with at this moment? :D

The term you are looking for is "old school", but these days it's only done by hipsters to impress the locals with how authentic they are.

"I'm sorry. Your browser is not Ad-Compatible."

I think there were a couple of attempts, but they never really had a good solution to bring the joys of javascript to text browsers.

Vivaldi just might be the future. You can use chrome extensions and Vivaldi needs a better way of doing the bookmarks. Other than that it runs very well and fast.

Does the browser let you get done what you need to get done? The extension support of both Firefox and Chrome place those two browsers at the top of my list. Internet Explorer is third and is rarely used.

As for Edge.... with it's current lack of extension support, it's unusable to me. At a minimum, I need to have LastPass available, followed by XMarks and a ad blocker.

On the six computers I've tried Edge on, it was never even remotely useable for me. IE11 at work won't load half the pages on our intranet without issues (even though they were "designed" for IE11... Chrome is the browser I use almost exclusively now and has yet to let me down.

IE11 at work won't load half the pages on our intranet without issues (even though they were "designed" for IE11...

So people at work designed sites that were "designed" for IE11 and must have never tested them for that claim because they probably should at least load.

So people at work designed sites that were "designed" for IE11 and must have never tested them for that claim because they probably should at least load.

yeah.... it's a struggle. Hell, we've switched to Office 365 and the Outlook web portal we have to use doesn't even work in IE11. The app loads, but you can't open any emails. Open the same thing in Chrome, and it works perfect.

All depends on what works for you. Chrome for me. It may not be the fastest but works best across all my devices, not just Windows 10.

am i the only one who think this? edge feels like it was made by a 15 year old, (just like metro). it crashes everytime i have more than 1 tab open, i cant import favorites right (never mind exporting them). to me edge is a complete failed product. and look at what they did to ie 11, only a couple of months after its death, if u try to use it it's like it is really dead, nothing works (on ie 11, they killed it for good because they wanted people to use edge, what kind of thinking is that?).

Edge works perfectly fine for me. No crashes or stalls or any abhorrent behavior.

I've grown used to Chrome and all of its quirks. Being on Android, the fact that all of my mobile stuff everything is so tied to it probably also factors in.
I wouldn't mind Edge if it had plugin support.

Back