Reed Hastings Started A $100M Education Fund

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings just announced that he is starting a $100 million education fund. The first two donations will benefit the United Negro College Fund and the Hispanic Foundation of Silicon Valley.

I’m thrilled to announce that I’m funding a new $100m philanthropic fund for education, creatively named the Hastings Fund, through the Silicon Valley Community Foundation. Neerav Kingsland is the CEO of this fund, and will donate these funds in the best way possible for kids’ education.

The first two gifts are to United Negro College Fund and to Hispanic Foundation of Silicon Valley to support college education of Black and Latino youth, totalling $1.5m. I’m so blessed to be able to do this, and I hope to do more in the future. Thanks to all of you who are Netflix members or employees for making this possible.

I wonder if he will catch any flack for giving to those racist organizations?

How dare he use his money like this. I pay for Netflix so that I can get movies to stream. How dare he waste money on this instead of putting it towards more and better content for their streaming. This is a complete outrage that he would spend his money like this. I think there should be full legal action taken against him for such a horrific act. Wait sorry, thinking of the wrong person and company... this is perfectly fine. ;)

While there is nothing forcing them to do so, it is always nice to see people with spare cash laying around use it to help others. Just have to hope that this isn't a $2 million goes to help and $98 million goes to the CEO and others to run the fund. As that is pretty common in this area.

Funny thing... If there was a united white college fund, it would be called racist.

These color/race college funds are ridiculous. "Here, people! You're too stupid to compete against the rest of the country for scholarships, so we have a fund here that betters your chances against only people that can't cut the mustard either."
Funds like this, affirmative action, etc... Are all just forms of reverse racism.

Good for him though. He is helping out, and is reducing his enormous tax liability at the same time. Two birds with one stone!

What about my white privilege honky fund. I am offended. Time to sue for reverse discrimination.

Why do they need extra help? Do people think they are so stupid that they can't compete with others? That sounds like racism to me. Then again, in the US it's always about dividing everyone into sub groups and pitting them against each other rather than one unified group.

Back