Microsoft: iPad Pro Will Always Be A Companion Device

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft doesn't seem very impressed with the iPad Pro. While talking up the Surface, a Microsoft rep basically dismissed the iPad Pro as a companion device.

Dan Laycock, Senior Communications Manager for Microsoft Surface, says that while consumers can get by with a single Surface product, the same can’t be said for Apple’s heftiest tablet. “Microsoft really wants you to only carry one device for tablet and PC use,” explains Laycock, speaking to us at the Consumer Electronics Show 2016 in Las Vegas. “Whereas the iPad Pro is always going to be a companion device.” He adds: “The strategies are very different.”

lol, tell that to falling consumer PC sales. Phones and tablets are replacing PCs for an uncomfortably large segment of consumers.

The Surface is a tablet.... Microsoft fully understands the falling popularity of PC's. That's the point of the Surface / Pro.

Too many non-basic functions on the iPad devices are still incredibly awkward without a separate device like a PC (or Mac).
Tablets are 100% cutting into the need to buy NEW desktops and laptops, but you'll find most people still use and need one of some sort.
The Surface doesn't. If it fails, it's almost assuredly the fault of how MS pitches the device and not due to any actual issues with it.

Apple market shares continue to fall while Microsoft Surface shares are on the rise...

Apple market shares continue to fall while Microsoft Surface shares are on the rise...
MS Surface sales were slowing in the last reported quarter. Later this month MS will announce last quarter's results.

But enough of the financial stuff; we want to know sales. Microsoft said Surface revenue fell from $908 million during last year's first quarter to $672 million this year, which the company said is likely due to its flagship tablet, the Surface Pro 3 being released in June 2014. Also, the Surface Pro 4 came out this month.
(FYI, calendar year Q3 2015 is MS fiscal Q1 2016)

In the same quarter, to give an apples to apples comparison, iPad sales were up. Apple will also report later this month for last quarter results.

This is also the second quarter we’ve had a breakout of iPad sales, which did not do as well as Apple’s more popular mobile product, the iPhone. iPad units sold went down from approximately 11 million to 10 million from Q3 to Q4 2015.
(Calendar year Q3 2015 is Apple fiscal Q4 2015)

Maybe I can't do math too good, but Apple sold about 20% fewer iPads year over year (12 million in fiscal Q4 2014 vs 10 million in fiscal Q4 2015), compared to MS getting about 25% less revenue in the same year over year period. :p I wouldn't gloat about either one... both results kind of sucked.

MS might report growing sales by some tiny slice of a sub-segment of the PC industry, but MS ain't selling anywhere near 10 million Surface tablets a quarter. MS peaked around 2 million Surface tablets in an exceptional quarter about a year ago while dumping unsold older stock at huge discounts.

As a smaller ipad owner I can only say they are 100% correct.

With iOS being as restrictive as it is it will always be a toy for entertainment consumption.

Too many non-basic functions on the iPad devices are still incredibly awkward without a separate device like a PC (or Mac).
Tablets are 100% cutting into the need to buy NEW desktops and laptops, but you'll find most people still use and need one of some sort.
The Surface doesn't. If it fails, it's almost assuredly the fault of how MS pitches the device and not due to any actual issues with it.

That is exactly why my next tablet to replace my ipad will be the surface. I find it to be impressive as I see more people using it. I even played with a few at the Microsoft store while waiting for my new Windows phone. The ipad is way too limiting as a productivity tool.

It's not up for debate. One is a professional tool and the other is an overpriced toy.

Even girls at the local university carry Surface Pros now and not an iPad toy or even Macbooks.

I saw the iPad Pro at Costco...wondered why the hell you'd want to carry around such a massive tablet.

I saw the iPad Pro at Costco...wondered why the hell you'd want to carry around such a massive tablet.

Just as a normal media consumption/entertainment tablet, I don't think many would, which was the point of the keyboard cover and pen.

I can't imagine much is going to change for desktop sales. They're so powerful nowadays. You can buy one and rock it for the next 5 years and probably still not need to upgrade.

These lower powered tablets, ultrabooks, etc are paving the way forward, as they are strong machines, but just aren't super powerful. So when a new proc comes out, you can actually feel some kind of performance difference.

lol another pointless microsoft headline... they keep doing this, but their sales says otherwise.

Why do we need *one* device for everything? Operating systems and hardware that are specialized for a task are generally better at that task then something that tries to satisfy all needs.

I have many computing devices at home, and I use them for situations they are most appropriate for.

Even my Chromebook, which is an abysmal computing device, is still my go to device for the specific task I use it for.

iOS is why the ipad can't be a replacement for a desktop/laptop it's also why it's not priced the same similar to android tablets, their tablet OS is just too restrictive for quite a few tasks. Although quite fine if all you need to do is read emails, write simple reports/papers, watch and read shit on-line, play mobile games etc. Most people probably could get away with using a tablet for 95% of what they do on a computer it's just the other 5% would be a hassle so they buy a 2-in-1.

Why do we need *one* device for everything? Operating systems and hardware that are specialized for a task are generally better at that task then something that tries to satisfy all needs.

I have many computing devices at home, and I use them for situations they are most appropriate for.

Even my Chromebook, which is an abysmal computing device, is still my go to device for the specific task I use it for.

As enthusiast, we don't mind having multiple devices for multiple uses. Not everyone wants such. They're fine with their jack of all trades, master of none devices.

MS is just trying to cash in on that with their 3 devices. For them, they'd rather not build tons of different devices to cater to different users. They'd rather try to convince users they only need one device. I'd say for millions of users, they would be fine with a Surface 3, Surface Pro 4, or Surface Book. Your power users need look elsewhere.

MS Surface sales were slowing in the last reported quarter. Later this month MS will announce last quarter's results.

(FYI, calendar year Q3 2015 is MS fiscal Q1 2016)

In the same quarter, to give an apples to apples comparison, iPad sales were up. Apple will also report later this month for last quarter results.

(Calendar year Q3 2015 is Apple fiscal Q4 2015)

Maybe I can't do math too good, but Apple sold about 20% fewer iPads year over year (12 million in fiscal Q4 2014 vs 10 million in fiscal Q4 2015), compared to MS getting about 25% less revenue in the same year over year period. :p I wouldn't gloat about either one... both results kind of sucked.

MS might report growing sales by some tiny slice of a sub-segment of the PC industry, but MS ain't selling anywhere near 10 million Surface tablets a quarter. MS peaked around 2 million Surface tablets in an exceptional quarter about a year ago while dumping unsold older stock at huge discounts.

It simply isn't a fair comparison. Microsoft is way into more areas of revenue than simply MP3 players, tablets, and computers like Apple is.

I do agree with Microsoft about the iPad. I have had an iPad and failed to utilize it for anything remotely constructive except once but it was still lacking in key areas that a iPad simply can't keep up with. The Surface 3 with the attachable keyboard is quite simply the best thing ever to come to mobile computing. It's powerful enough (for me), and it has all the advantages of a PC and all the advantages of a tablet. The only thing severely holding Microsoft back from getting a bigger marketshare of tablet sales is that the Microsoft Store for apps is still abysmally bad which I honestly just don't understand. Between the people that use Windows 10, touch screen laptops, Windows phones (I know, not many of those) you would think that the market for Windows apps would be higher than ever especially with their unified architecture.

To think that Apple is anything but a company that sells anything but a fashion statement at this point is a understatement. As great as their products can be, they have lacked luster since the iPhone 4S to me. Microsoft I think has done a fantastic job of coming back into the market with some truly evolutionary products like the Surfacebook which while overpriced is the nicest piece of tech I saw last year.

This is just the way of things. Ebbs and flows. Apple eventually will come back with some evolutionary and captivating, but right now Microsoft is in the limelight and rightly so.

lol, tell that to falling consumer PC sales. Phones and tablets are replacing PCs for an uncomfortably large segment of consumers.

Right up until they reach the limits of those devices and the PC's end up on the rise again. ;)

And the bad news continues for PC sales: http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/12/10757134/windows-10-pc-sales-decline

Though, it looks like neither one of these surveys counts all 2 in 1s. Ones with fixed keyboards yes, something like a Surface Pro or Book, no I think. The numbers from financial statements are going to be very interesting.

Not at all bad news since many do not need a new computer at this time. Also, the free upgrade to Windows 10 is giving new life to a lot of computers that might have been replaced otherwise.

As enthusiast, we don't mind having multiple devices for multiple uses. Not everyone wants such. They're fine with their jack of all trades, master of none devices.

MS is just trying to cash in on that with their 3 devices. For them, they'd rather not build tons of different devices to cater to different users. They'd rather try to convince users they only need one device. I'd say for millions of users, they would be fine with a Surface 3, Surface Pro 4, or Surface Book. Your power users need look elsewhere.

I am a power user and I need not look elsewhere for mobile computing devices. I have a Surface Pro that replaces any laptop well working as a tablet and in a pinch, I could use it as a powerful desktop if I had a dock with external monitor. The Surface Pro with a 128GB drive and i5 is just stupid fast.

However, I do have a powerful desktop at home and at work since I work in IT and game.

Even when such device costs 950$+ ? ;)

And the bad news continues for PC sales: http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/12/10757134/windows-10-pc-sales-decline

Though, it looks like neither one of these surveys counts all 2 in 1s. Ones with fixed keyboards yes, something like a Surface Pro or Book, no I think. The numbers from financial statements are going to be very interesting.

Does a fixed keyboard count as a 2 in 1? I don't think it does. My laptop has touch and the keyboard is fixed, but it is marketed as a laptop.

Does a fixed keyboard count as a 2 in 1? I don't think it does. My laptop has touch and the keyboard is fixed, but it is marketed as a laptop.

I believe that is correct. the determination is based on whether the keyboard is fixed. So something like a Yoga would be counted as a PC while something like a Surface Book isn't.

Back