Seasonic Proudly Presents Its New Flagship PRIME Series Power Supplies

HardOCP News

[H] News
During the past forty years Sea Sonic has never stopped setting new industry standards. Its continuous focus on innovation and perfecting power supply design has made SeaSonic the leader in power supply design and manufacturing. Like many times before, Seasonic has again arrived at a major breakthrough and it is proud to announce its latest innovation: the PRIME Series.

Initially, our engineers have set out to create the quietest active cooling power supplies. The creation of the PRIME Series is a renewed testimony of Sea Sonic’s determination to push the limits of power supply design in every aspect. This elegant-looking, exclusive lineup of new products will include 80 PLUS® Titanium - in the range of 650W to 1000W and Platinum-rated units in the range of 550 W to 1200 W, with excellent electrical characteristics, top-level components and fully modular cabling.

The culmination of the PRIME Series is the result of Sea Sonic’s close collaboration with graphics card manufacturers during the development phase. Undoubtedly, the electrical performance of the series is unsurpassed by any analog power supply on the market today. Seasonic PRIME Series power supplies are made with industrial grade components, employ an innovative circuit design with Zero PCB Cabling, and go through rigorous testing to ensure each unit’s amazing load regulation, performance and efficiency. Clean power and prolonged hold-up time (that doubles the current industry standard) are the main characteristics for the ultimate stable performance of the PRIME series power supplies. Sea Sonic strives for the utmost customer satisfaction by demonstrating its commitment to reliable quality with a ten-year manufacturer’s warranty.

Is a 10 year warranty really something you would be needing on a power supply these days? What will we be doing 10 years from now? Will we even recognize computers then to be using the current ATX Power supplies?

Don't get me wrong, I love products that are backed up by generous warranties, but I think 10 years for anything computer related may be more marketing hype than of practical use.

You're joking right?
The atx spec hasn't changed that much since it was introduced in 95.

The only thing that's really changed is standby power minimum requirement and the addition of pcie power adapters.

Even if a new power connector comes out I doubt I will anything outside 5 3.3 and 12vbrails based. You can get adaapters for anything.

Well the ATX standard itself is already 20 years old and lets face it computer power usage has pretty much peaked, I mean you technically need non-standard wall wiring, sockets, and breakers to go past 1200W safely. I'm still using the same power supply I originally put in my case back in 2009 that's lasted about 3 systems so far. Hell people are still happily using 2600k's from 2011 with little need to upgrade. PC parts last a lot longer these days, if anything longer warranties make more sense now.

Is a 10 year warranty really something you would be needing on a power supply these days? What will we be doing 10 years from now? Will we even recognize computers then to be using the current ATX Power supplies?

Don't get me wrong, I love products that are backed up by generous warranties, but I think 10 years for anything computer related may be more marketing hype than of practical use.

Yeah, a 10 year warranty is nice to have. There's a limit on how much current you can get from a standard wall outlet in a home, and power consumption is down from what is was a few years back for components. Even if you went overkill with say... a 1000w PSU today, it's entirely possible to be using that same PSU for quite some time into the future assuming you can get adapters for appropriate connections since I don't see any changes in component power requirements(like needing 24v or something else that isn't already standard) happening any time soon. Being modular makes connectivity concerns less of an issue as well(if it comes down to it you can just get the connectors yourself and make a cable).

As long as you aren't abusing/neglecting it, there's no reason a decent PSU wouldn't be usable for 10 years these days.

How nice, they named a power supply after me. :)

A 10 year warranty sounds good to me. I don't think the voltages are going to be changing any time soon and adapters can be used if new connectors come out.

A 10-year warranty is a sign that the company has absolute confidence that the product is of the absolute highest quality when it is an established organization (such as Seasonic, who make the best PSU's in market).

There are some exceptions to the rule - for example Japanese auto manufacturers have historically used very long warranties to gain consumer confidence when trying to enter the US market; both Toyota and Hyundai did this. KIA (not Japanese I know) is now trying this and it hasn't really had the same effect as the aforementioned. Toyota was able to get their quality up very quickly and Hyundai has done ok, but KIA hasn't gotten there.

And like others have said if you have been around for a while, ATX isn't going anywhere anytime soon for this application...

News should read: "And yet another amazing Seasonic power supply you can't buy literally fricken nowhere"

Can substitute same news title for any PC Power & Cooling power supplies

Looks like another class set of products.
My Corsair AX750 based on a Seasonic X has been running 24/7 for 5 years and hasnt put a foot wrong.
Feels like it will last forever!

Its sad Corsair have cheaped out now but at least this is a decent alternative.

Seasonic power supplies rock as does Seasonic customer service.

Now if only [H] does a review AND a drawing.

Seasonic and PC Power & Cooling make the cleanest power supplies out there (Baring Corsairs DSP power line)

But if I need a power supply that has to run in an environment hotter than satan's butt I kinda edge towards Channel Well Tech

I'm still using an x750 I bought I think 5.5 years ago, and I'll keep using it for a while so I'd take the 10 year warranty. It's an excellent power supply and there isn't much reason to replace it when doing a new build as it very much over what I actually need power wise. Its lasted me 4 builds so far and I hope it keeps going.

News should read: "And yet another amazing Seasonic power supply you can't buy literally fricken nowhere"

Can substitute same news title for any PC Power & Cooling power supplies

That is because they are no longer in active production and the OEM for the Turbo-Cool's no longer has interest in retail/enthusiast work to make new designs. The Silencer's were always second tier and have had wild fluctuations in quality when they were in production.

Just replaced my 9.5 year old Corsair HX620 (made by Seasonic) because I ran into a spontaneous reboot (no warning, no OS crash info) for the first time ever. So, yeah, not that challenging to get 10 years out of a PSU. What did I go with? Seasonic. Just wish I would have cashed in on the shellshocker Newegg had on the X-850 yesterday, but I still got a reasonable deal on the X-650.

PC Power & Cooling power supplies

PC Power & cooling were too proud of themselves while not being truly any better than the other vendors, as long as you stayed away from the cheap chinese shit.

I like Seasonic. ATX is an ancient format though, time to start competing with PicoPSU.

I had some bad cables once, one phone call to Seasonic & they replaced them, even sent an extra.

Not passive? Not interested.

I also heard Seasonic passive psu's have problems with coil whining. Meanwhile my passive Super Flower PSU is quiet as the sin itself and has been like that for the last five years. They released Platinum graded passive PSU more than a whole year before Seasonic did.

I highly disagree I'm still running on my corsair HX 620W i bought when they just got released. that was in 2006 i think. and still going strong.
certain products don't change that much

All I can say is,

I've owned both Corsair and Seasonic PSUs.

I currently run 4 PCs with Corsair and 1 with a Seasonic.

Wattages run from 650 to 1200, either Seasonic "X" models or Corsair "HX" models.

Recently I had a Seasonic 1050W go south and a Corsair AX 1200 go south. The 1050 was less than 6 months old and the 1200 was 6 years old.

Seasonic sent me a used refurbished unit, Corsair sent me a brand new 1200 AXi.

Just sayin.

All I can say is,

I've owned both Corsair and Seasonic PSUs.

I currently run 4 PCs with Corsair and 1 with a Seasonic.

Wattages run from 650 to 1200, either Seasonic "X" models or Corsair "HX" models.

Recently I had a Seasonic 1050W go south and a Corsair AX 1200 go south. The 1050 was less than 6 months old and the 1200 was 6 years old.

Seasonic sent me a used refurbished unit, Corsair sent me a brand new 1200 AXi.

Just sayin.

The AX1200 is no longer in production so if Corsair has run out of refurbs then their only option (which they don't like) is to send you a like product. This is normal warranty procedure and nothing special. The PLATINUM-1050 is still in production so you get the normal RMA service.

Just sayin.

The AX1200 is no longer in production so if Corsair has run out of refurbs then their only option (which they don't like) is to send you a like product. This is normal warranty procedure and nothing special. The PLATINUM-1050 is still in production so you get the normal RMA service.

Just sayin.

-If that's the normal procedure, then that shows how much value the companies give for their own customers, meaning zero value!!
Since the customer paid for a new product, if this product were proven to be malfunctioning, then the company that values their customers, should replace it exactly like the customer's original order, meaning brand new !!
-If the customer had ordered a refurbished one, then, and only then, the company would have the moral right to replace it also with a refurbished !!:eek:

-If that's the normal procedure, then that shows how much value the companies give for their own customers, meaning zero value!!
Since the customer paid for a new product, if this product were proven to be malfunctioning, then the company that values their customers, should replace it exactly like the customer's original order, meaning brand new !!
-If the customer had ordered a refurbished one, then, and only then, the company would have the moral right to replace it also with a refurbished !!:eek:

When you sent the product in 6 months or 6 years after you bought it it was not a new product. So customer paid for new product. They use the product. They sent in a USED product and got back a refurbished product. There is no moral right to a new product when you send in a used product.

Yes, refurbs are normal procedure in electronics. So, in your opinion, companies place zero value on their customers. I'm not sure how this is news to you? Have you never read the warranty on a product you bought? Here is Corsair's:

Corsair may, at its discretion, provide new or equivalent-to-new refurbished parts in good working condition, or repair or replace the hardware returned to Corsair.

When you sent the product in 6 months or 6 years after you bought it it was not a new product. So customer paid for new product. They use the product. They sent in a USED product and got back a refurbished product. There is no moral right to a new product when you send in a used product.

Yes, refurbs are normal procedure in electronics. So, in your opinion, companies place zero value on their customers. I'm not sure how this is news to you? Have you never read the warranty on a product you bought? Here is Corsair's:

-In my previous post i meant about the scenario that a product is used for a while, then the customer sees that is a faulty one, and then he returns it immediately. The 6-month scenario that you mentioned was not among my thoughts (*to be honest, i didn't paid much attention to Magoo's post.:eek: )
So i wonder, in my case, where my psu was used for only 2 days, ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1BY...etail-glance&nodeID=340831031&store=computers ), what kind of psu i deserve to get? Refurbished because i used a faulty psu for an entire 48 hours? !! (*while these 48 hours, it could have been damaging the rest of my brother's system? !!:mad:, only this would be a reason enough for any company to send the customer a brand new psu, in recognition of the danger it might have caused!!)
So, according to this logic, the only one that deserves to get a brand new psu, is the the one that he will return his faulty psu without using it at all ??!! That's a little hard to be achieved in my opinion!!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
-In my previous post i meant about the scenario that a product is used for a while, then the customer sees that is a faulty one, and then he returns it immediately. The 6-month scenario that you mentioned was not among my thoughts (*to be honest, i didn't paid much attention to Magoo's post.:eek: )
So i wonder, in my case, where my psu was used for only 2 days, ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1BY...etail-glance&nodeID=340831031&store=computers ), what kind of psu i deserve to get? Refurbished because i used a faulty psu for an entire 48 hours? !! (*while these 48 hours, it could have been damaging the rest of my brother's system? !!:mad:, only this would be a reason enough for any company to send the customer a brand new psu, in recognition of the danger it might have caused!!)
So, according to this logic, the only one that deserves to get a brand new psu, is the the one that he will return his faulty psu without using it at all ??!! That's a little hard to be achieved in my opinion!!

If your PSU was faulty after 2 days, you deal with the retailer. Retailers have 15 and 30 day return and exchange policies exactly for that purpose. Beyond 30 days, you deal with the manufacturer's warranty.

If your PSU was faulty after 2 days, you deal with the retailer. Retailers have 15 and 30 day return and exchange policies exactly for that purpose. Beyond 30 days, you deal with the manufacturer's warranty.

Yes, i sent the psu to the retailer, they said exactly what you said, that their technicians will check the psu and not the Seasonic ones.
P.S: The psu was faulty from day 1, but it just took me one more day to confirm it!! :D

UPDATE 15/01/16 : The PSU was faulty after all and got replaced by the retailer. Their technician's report was that the PSU's fan wasn't working while the fan was set on "normal operation", and thus it was getting hot.:(
The replacement unit works excellent though:), thus i changed the scored i gave to Amazon.co.uk ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1BY...etail-glance&nodeID=340831031&store=computers )

Last edited:

Yes, i sent the psu to the retailer, they said exactly what you said, that their technicians will check the psu and not the Seasonic ones.
P.S: The psu was faulty from day 1, but it just took me one more day to confirm it!! :D

Your post had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand so I don't know why you posted it. But Tsumi is correct.

If you purchase a new defective item it goes back to the retailer to replace. This has nothing to do with warranty service (which is what the post you were replying to was about) that is a merchandise return/exchange at the point of sale.

Not passive? Not interested.

I also heard Seasonic passive psu's have problems with coil whining. Meanwhile my passive Super Flower PSU is quiet as the sin itself and has been like that for the last five years. They released Platinum graded passive PSU more than a whole year before Seasonic did.
Agree. After experiencing a passive psu I'm no longer interested in buying one with a fan. Although b/c there aren't any completely passive SFX power supplies, I'm warming up to the idea of a semi-passive SFX unit for my ITX build.

But, it sounds like 2 passive units will be offered in the Titanium lineup: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seasonic-prime-80-plus-titanium-psu,30861.html

The Prime series consists of four Titanium PSUs with capacities ranging from 650W to 1 kW. The same line will also include two fanless PSUs, featuring 550W and 400W capacity and Titanium efficiency,

Regarding Seasonic ... I'm one of many that have experienced coil whine w/one of their units. That kind of noise really jams your day, especially if its coming from a machine you have to work on every day.

Last edited:
first time ive heard of titanium rating, thought platinum was highest.

Just sayin.

I don't have a lot of experience with Corsair PSU RMA.
This was my first Corsair unit that ever had a problem.
Although the AX version isn't sold anymore, I still appreciate that Corsair sent out a brand new model.
Quite honestly, since the AX 1200 was the best they had at the time, I was not surprised I got a new AXi 1200.

In contrast, Seasonic sent me a used product that in my opinion was cosmetically inferior and was dusty. I sent them a pristine 6 month old unit.
Did they honor their warranty? Yes.
Was it satisfactory in my eyes? No.

I realize I'm not entitled to jack shit, just the conditions of the warranty must be satisfied, but it's a pretty stark contrast.

I don't have a lot of experience with Corsair PSU RMA.
This was my first Corsair unit that ever had a problem.
Although the AX version isn't sold anymore, I still appreciate that Corsair sent out a brand new model.
Quite honestly, since the AX 1200 was the best they had at the time, I was not surprised I got a new AXi 1200.

In contrast, Seasonic sent me a used product that in my opinion was cosmetically inferior and was dusty. I sent them a pristine 6 month old unit.
Did they honor their warranty? Yes.
Was it satisfactory in my eyes? No.

I realize I'm not entitled to jack shit, just the conditions of the warranty must be satisfied, but it's a pretty stark contrast.

No, it's not a stark contrast. You got "lucky" in one situation and due to getting "lucky" you don't understand the realities of the situation and how warranty work is handled is all. Corsair didn't send you a new unit because they liked you. They sent you one because it was the bare minimum they could do to fulfill the legal requirement of the contract relative to their inventory at the time. Had you sent an out of production Seasonic unit in when they had no refurbs in stock you would have gotten a like item back from them. It is pretty simple.

Last edited:
They sure look nice. I like the brand. My X-760 has been going strong for 3.5 years now without any issues and is nice and quiet.

Previously I had a Corsair HX520 (Seasonic built) that I ran about 4 years before selling it.

10 year warranty sounds good to me too. Just shy of 12 years on this PCP&C (remember them?) 425w unit running the system in my sig.

Seriously considering a Seasonic for my new build.

Back