TWC Warns 320k Customers Their Data May Have Been Stolen

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are a Time Warner Cable customer, I have some bad news for you. The company doesn't know for sure how this happened so it would probably be best to reset your password even if you haven't been contacted by the company.

Hundreds of thousands of Time Warner Cable customers received alerts this week telling them to change their email passwords after law enforcement officials notified TWC that hackers may have gotten their hands on this sensitive information. “Approximately 320,000 customers across our markets could be impacted by this situation,” Eric Mangan, director of public relations, tells Venture Beat. “To protect the security of these customers, we are sending emails and direct mail correspondence to encourage them to update their email password as a precaution.”

"and instead of giving you something that you might want (discounts to service for a period of time) we're going to give you 1 year free credit check 6 months after the breach actually happened"

Changed all passwords this morning as precaution. Best I can do.

Crap. Now i've got open up keepass and generate a new password ;)

Just one more reason to be unsatisfied with TWC. If anyone really needed another.

$70 for 50mbit on TWC in an area surrounded by farm fields, I can't complain. Only had a one day outage for the last 2 years that I was aware of. Plus my experience with support has been pretty good. Also not having a data cap is pretty nice, not a whole lot of those carriers around.

Brute force against weak passwords? Common sense to just use a longer more complex phrase.

Here probably what they didn't tell you. Law enforcement already had all your passwords and it was their database that was hacked, not TWC's.

BA-ZING!

Back