Should You Let A Security Robot Patrol Your Home?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why not let a security bot patrol your home? Hell, most of us are do-it-yourself kinda guys, we would just slap a gun on a Roomba and call it good. ;)

That scenario just got a little more likely. On display at CES 2016 is a new robotic vacuum from LG. The HOM-BOT Turbo+ employs what LG is calling augmented reality technology. The robot interfaces with your smartphone in some unique ways. To issue instructions to the vacuum, you can designate areas that need cleaning via your phone's camera. Tap on any part of the room in the image and the HOM-BOT Turbo+ will go there and do its thing.

This is what people imagine...

tumblr_mwnps2vGbs1sh2w9go2_500.gif

This is what we actually get...

stairs-my-only-weakness-o.gif

Let's say you determined that the living room needed to be patrolled/vacuumed before the kids got home and sent this request remotely to the machine. In the midst of it complying with said request, Turbo+ suddenly deems Miss Puss Puss (beloved family house cat) as a threat. After a valiant effort fought by Miss Puss Puss she finally succumbs to the robots onslaught... followed by many costly child therapy sessions.
No thanks. My woman will continue to do the cleaning/investigating scary noises for now.

A turret in a baby girls room? No issues with that. She can defend herself with critical thinking and opposable thumbs if the need arises.

Seems fine to me. Vacuum, gun carrying cyborg either is good to have

I don't know about other people, but I'd certainly let a model T-900 'Cameron' Infiltrator patrol my home in order to ensure that my safety is guaranteed and all my, er, needs are met.

cameron.jpg

This is what people imagine...

tumblr_mwnps2vGbs1sh2w9go2_500.gif

This is what we actually get...

stairs-my-only-weakness-o.gif

Indeed. Got my wife one of those smart vacuum cleaner robots that "learn" over time. I thought it did amazing on its first run but I am willing to bet money the whole "learning" thing degrades performance orientation-wise. I might reset it and see if I am imagining. Runs Linux, thought. Should play with it some more.

Back