FTC Calls Lumosity Ads False & Deceptive

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Federal Trade Commission has accused Lumosity of using false and deceptive ads for its brain-training games. The FTC seeks restitution, refunds, rescission of contracts, disgorgement of ill-gotten gains, and an injunction.

Lumosity uses false and deceptive claims and testimonials for its online brain-training exercises in its nationwide ad campaigns, the Federal Trade Commission claims in court. Lumosity, which claims more than 35 million users in its ads, makes false or unsubstantiated claims about real-world performance, age-related conditions, and a slew of specific health benefits, including "post-traumatic stress disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, traumatic brain injury, stroke, and side effects of chemotherapy," the FTC says in the Jan. 4 federal lawsuit.

Good, when I first saw one of their ads a year or so ago I looked into the research behind it. Total BS. There's been even further research done that shows that their games do make you improve at one thing - their games.

Yup. And my penis isn't 4" longer, as promised by another product.

Marketing. At least they have someone that can call them out on their BS, but the claims were pretty big. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. Although, I did want to check it out. Looked like fun, and some "Brain games" would be nice to have instead of the brain dead games that are out there....

This reminds me of a joke...

One day two boys were walking through the woods when they saw some rabbit turds. One of the boys said, ''What is that?''
''They're smart pills,'' said the other boy. ''Eat them and they'll make you smarter.
So he ate them and said, ''These taste like crap.''
''See,'' said the other boy, ''you're getting smarter already.''

What about all the dating site commercials? Hell, what about most commercials in general? Lumosity is hardly unique here.

Yup. And my penis isn't 4" longer, as promised by another product.

Marketing. At least they have someone that can call them out on their BS, but the claims were pretty big. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. Although, I did want to check it out. Looked like fun, and some "Brain games" would be nice to have instead of the brain dead games that are out there....

Most countries have laws against deceptive marketing. The US is massively behind the times, this is a small step for consumer protection but I'd rather see them address the massively misleading herbal supplement industry first. Any claim you want + no testing = herbal supplement industry.

Watch the show Adam ruins everything.... total debunking of marketing and other things...

Them claiming health benefits is one issue, people believing it is another. People need to be a little smarter and suspect of all marketing claims. Food marketing is one of the worst but people still fall for it.

Back