Major League Gaming Out Of Business, Assets Sold To Activision Blizzard

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
MLG, which had held video game tournaments across the US and Canada, is officially “over,” having sold practically all assets for $46 million.

Some speculate that the majority of the sale will go towards paying off MLG’s debts, leaving little to go around for the remaining stockholders. MLG has filed for multiple debt financing rounds this year alone, for a sum of over $6 million.

In addition to these changes, CEO Sundance DiGiovanni has been removed from his role and replaced by Greg Chisholm, MLG’s former CFO.

I take it the CFO didn't approve of blackjack?

another one bites the dust... I really dont like this. i guess being a little older, 37, and growing up in the southern bible belt (hate it) gaming was frowned on. I like various gaming leagues where they try to promote the positives of gaming.

And to further screw the common man, only those with the parachutes get any restitution from the sale, everyone else gets screwed

It's interesting that you can have million dollar tournaments and still be in financial trouble. That just screams mismanagement to me.

It's interesting that you can have million dollar tournaments and still be in financial trouble. That just screams mismanagement to me.

Do you have any idea how expensive hot pockets and monster energy drinks are these days?

You realize the vast majority of that money doesn't have anything to do with the company hosting the tournament itself. it's almost always donated from one source or another.

You realize the vast majority of that money doesn't have anything to do with the company hosting the tournament itself. it's almost always donated from one source or another.

I realize that the have a bunch of lil tweaker gamers that are put in charge of handling financials when they shouldn't be.

Just sayin'

another one bites the dust... I really dont like this. i guess being a little older, 37, and growing up in the southern bible belt (hate it) gaming was frowned on. I like various gaming leagues where they try to promote the positives of gaming.

This older (44 years old) gamer loves the Bible Belt, the Bible itself, and gaming. In fact, I just took advantage of an Interplay sale at gog.com and picked up some of the classic Star Trek titles from the early 90s!

The last time I watched a MLG tournament was a few years ago. I was pretty irritated that they weren't streaming on Twitch and you had to instead go to their website and use their subpar streaming client.

I thought they went under years ago. Still I did enjoy it some of the time. Now with Activision owning it, it will either really die, or it will just become one big advert for whatever console COD title they are pushing, or worse just Diablo and Starcraft. Both of the last two are good games, but having watched a few streams of them, they are just boring as hell to watch imho. Like watching a chess match.

I thought they went under years ago. Still I did enjoy it some of the time. Now with Activision owning it, it will either really die, or it will just become one big advert for whatever console COD title they are pushing, or worse just Diablo and Starcraft. Both of the last two are good games, but having watched a few streams of them, they are just boring as hell to watch imho. Like watching a chess match.

Wow you are out of touch and out of date. Diablo and StarCraft? Heros of the Storm is the new push for Blizzard. Overwatch will be coming out soon as well.

Heros of the Storm is like the poverty version of DoTA 2 (or maybe League of Legends if you prefer that).

I'm sure it's fun, but from a competitive standpoint it lacked any actual depth.

Overwatch is Blizzard's version of TF2. There's also Battleborn coming out.

May try both of those games just to see how they are. Seems like Blizzard is running out of ideas and jumping into the 2 genres late and will ride on the Blizzard name for hopes of success to be honest...

Maybe I'm just jaded or not as into games lately but their most recent releases were pretty bad considering how long they took to make them.

Wow you are out of touch and out of date. Diablo and StarCraft? Heros of the Storm is the new push for Blizzard. Overwatch will be coming out soon as well.

Yeah, it shows how much pro gaming has dropped of my radar. Overwatch will be fun to play, I am sure, but will it be fun to watch?

Heros of the Storm is like the poverty version of DoTA 2 (or maybe League of Legends if you prefer that).

I'm sure it's fun, but from a competitive standpoint it lacked any actual depth.

Overwatch is Blizzard's version of TF2. There's also Battleborn coming out.

May try both of those games just to see how they are. Seems like Blizzard is running out of ideas and jumping into the 2 genres late and will ride on the Blizzard name for hopes of success to be honest...

Maybe I'm just jaded or not as into games lately but their most recent releases were pretty bad considering how long they took to make them.

I work some of the major gaming tradeshows including PAX and BlizzCon so I get to see and hear people's feedback first person. HOTS (granted NOT DOTA2 or LOL level) is pretty well-received and I think was meant as a more approachable MOBA. Definatly leveraging their other franchise IP. It is Blizzard.

Personally, I still prefer SC2. I just wish HuskyStarCraft still commentated videos

I work some of the major gaming tradeshows including PAX and BlizzCon so I get to see and hear people's feedback first person. HOTS (granted NOT DOTA2 or LOL level) is pretty well-received and I think was meant as a more approachable MOBA. Definatly leveraging their other franchise IP. It is Blizzard.

Personally, I still prefer SC2. I just wish HuskyStarCraft still commentated videos

Yeah, I can definitely see that. I've had friends and co-workers who are more casual gamers ask me if I play it and they say they enjoy it. Keyword being casual.

I don't game quite as much lately due to work but prefer to play competitive type games that have a higher skill cap.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. I've had friends and co-workers who are more casual gamers ask me if I play it and they say they enjoy it. Keyword being casual.

I don't game quite as much lately due to work but prefer to play competitive type games that have a higher skill cap.

I love watching competitive SC2 but my APM is too low as I am an old fart . I can still mod though. :D

Also should qualify: I have a sweet spot for Blizzard games as I get to do case mods for them for BlizzCon for NVIDIA . . . . (airbrushing by my buddy Steve Nunez not me)

Q30f0s.jpg

6HjJRp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqpfZTNReZY

Back