Kid Racks Up $5K In Jurassic World iPad Charges

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
How many T-Rex’s can $5K buy, anyway?

…the youngster memorized his father’s Apple ID and password, which allowed him to make purchases, mostly to upgrade the dinosaurs available in the video game. In a six-day period, Faisall managed to make an impressive 65 transactions, at one point spending some $2,000 over the course of a single hour.

And his father got a reciept email from Apple for every one of those in-app purchases. Seriously, pay more attention to your kids people. Although the creator of a game where it is possible to pay $5000 worth of virtual items is at least partially to blame as well, that's outrageous.

Identity theft. Send him to jail. He's already fucked with people as a youngster, who knows how big it'll get when he grows up.

This wouldn't have happened if Apple didn't store his CC# online so they are to blame, IMO.

apparently none of you read the "article"

1. he never got emails when the purchases were made

2. his CC# wasn't stored. apparently his son memorized it as well as his apple ID#

Apple doesn't email for each purchase, they send invoices at the end of each week.

Apple doesn't email for each purchase, they send invoices at the end of each week.

Yup, this is how I find out my wife buys gems or farm stuff or whatever... Stupid games. Can't she upgrade her warships or tanks like the rest of us?! :)

apparently none of you read the "article"

1. he never got emails when the purchases were made

2. his CC# wasn't stored. apparently his son memorized it as well as his apple ID#

I did read it and you never read it correctly.

"As it turns out, the youngster memorized his father’s Apple ID and password, which allowed him to make purchases,"

Apple stores your CC# and has no option to opt out, at least that was how it was when I last used iTunes some years ago. Needless to say, I no longer use iTunes.

Apple stores your CC# and has no option to opt out, at least that was how it was when I last used iTunes some years ago. Needless to say, I no longer use iTunes.

And that is one of the reasons I'll never have an Apple product.

I have no credit card stored in Google play or Microsoft's store for that reason.

Even on Amazon, I have an old credit card set as my default because they make accidental purchases too easy.

And that is one of the reasons I'll never have an Apple product.

I have no credit card stored in Google play or Microsoft's store for that reason.

Even on Amazon, I have an old credit card set as my default because they make accidental purchases too easy.

You have to go through 3 screens on Amazon to make a purchase.

The others require you to confirm it before you make the purchase by putting in your password or confirming your fingerprint. How do you buy something on accident?

Yeah we are spoiled on android every transaction emailed receipt within seconds.

This exact thing is why in app purchases should be banned...

Also i know the game in question you don't need to spend any money on the game to play it... It is boring as freaking hell like Jurassic tycoon you make a "park" and evolve dinosaurs. Once you max out the park there is nothing left to do...

While it is absurd that the game is designed to even be ABLE to spend that much money in such a short amount of time, its clear that the FATHER was lazy and should NOT have given or told the child his account password.

Yes it is annoying to type in the password every dang time the kid wants a new free app but this is why the password is asked for. If the kid didn't have the password this would not have happened. Once again humans show us that they are the weakest part of security.

Now obviously they are probably going to refund these transactions, but never again should he put in an admin password or password that holds CC auth behind it where the kid knows what it is.

Also it would be a good idea if there were some kind of threshold, if you spend say more than $100 in an hour on apps or in-app purchases, you should have to enter the last 4 of the card and the code on the back to make sure you REALLY want to do it.

I can't imagine that 99.9% of people would ever NORMALLY spend more than $100 in an hour on stupid in game credits and parts and virtual coins etc.

I did read it and you never read it correctly.

"As it turns out, the youngster memorized his father’s Apple ID and password, which allowed him to make purchases,"

Some people right?

Anyways, Apple gives you the option only using Touch ID now for purchases. That's how I have it set up and it only asks for my PIN once a week.

Some people right?

Anyways, Apple gives you the option only using Touch ID now for purchases. That's how I have it set up and it only asks for my PIN once a week.

This. There are plenty of controls in place to limit purchasing. I've never had a of make purchase because they don't know the password. And the aren't fucking retarded.

Bad parenting
As a parent, YOU are responsible for everything your kid does. Everything. No amount of finger pointing is going to fix it.

If storing CC# was an issue, then everyone would be and should be up in arms. If your kid knows any of your passwords, change them. Simple.

Bad parenting
ZnKLVER.jpg

Yes it is annoying to type in the password every dang time the kid wants a new free app but this is why the password is asked for. If the kid didn't have the password this would not have happened. Once again humans show us that they are the weakest part of security.

Even that shouldn't have been a problem. On an iOS device you can set it to ask for a password any time you want to make a purchase, but allow you to download free apps without a password. There is just no reason he should have given the kid his password at all. Most smartphone users don't really understand anything about their device though, and that is probably even more true of iPhone users

Stop posting wrong, outdated information as fact.

But don’t worry — this story has a happy ending. Despite initially being told by an Apple Support team member that there was no guarantee he could get a refund, Shugaa eventually got all his money back
I disagree, this is not a happy ending, well ok maybe for the parent who decided to use his ipad as a baby sitter, but for me it would have been more funny for the charges to stick... but oh well, I guess this is like 976 numbers of the 80s (and if you don't know what that means... piss off!)

It wasn't wrong last time I used iCrap but I guess people like me complaining got the policy changed. :)

When did this change? When I was given an iPhone for work like 6 months ago it forced me to use a CC for an iTunes account. Just bought a new Android to replace that pos iPhone 5 but never realized it had changed.

LOL... Lots of angry people in this thread.

More to the point, having Apple REQUIRE you give them your CC# number works I guess cause more and more people keep doing it. Call it what you will, but it works for Apple.

Identity theft. Send him to jail. He's already fucked with people as a youngster, who knows how big it'll get when he grows up.
In jail, he would only learn more criminal skills and come out even worse than before. Sometimes you just need to cut your losses, and in this case I think everyone can agree that a 48th trimester abortion is the only viable option.

But it was fact you actually had to register a cc for an itunes account there was no option to finish registration without it that may have changed but when i signed up there was a work around where you had to tell apple you were in the uk or something to get the option to skip it.

LOL... Lots of angry people in this thread.

More to the point, having Apple REQUIRE you give them your CC# number works I guess cause more and more people keep doing it. Call it what you will, but it works for Apple.

I think Apple's big play to keep credit cards on file is with their iCloud storage plans. You get 5GB for free... Or for 99 cents a month you can get 50GB. Damn near everyone I know with iOS devices pays the 99 cents with a recurring payment each month to keep the 50GB backup storage.

That only applies to existing iTunes accounts that previously had credit cards. Looks like setting up a new account with no CC is fine.

You can also remove your CC from an existing Apple/iTunes account. I've had an Apple/iTunes account since the original iPod classic (the ones with spinning hard drives) and all I have to do is go into my account info and select "none" as my payment source.

Bad parenting
As a parent, YOU are responsible for everything your kid does. Everything. No amount of finger pointing is going to fix it.

If storing CC# was an issue, then everyone would be and should be up in arms. If your kid knows any of your passwords, change them. Simple.

+1

this is a shit between dad and kid. if you kids break someones car you pay for it too, and then you deal with your kid.

Back