Internet Speeds In The U.S. Have Tripled Since 2011

HardOCP News

[H] News
What was your internet connection speed back in 2011? What is it now? I can't complain, my connection speed went from 50Mbps in 2011 to 300Mbps for the same price, thanks to free upgrades from my ISP.

U.S. Internet connection speeds have tripled over 3-1/2 years to keep up with consumer demands for streaming video and downloading content but the United States still lags many other countries. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said in a report on Wednesday average download connection speeds had increased to nearly 31 megabits per second (Mbps) in September 2014 from about 10 Mbps in March 2011.

Last edited:
Mine went up a whole 40%, from 25 Mbps to 35 Mbps, while my bill went up at the same rate. The only choices in my area are Comcast cable (on 30-year old inherited copper) or CenturyLink DSL...

I went from 10mb in 2011 to Gigabit in 2014. Thanks to Google Fiber coming to my neighborhood, the cable company increased bandwidth and reduced their prices. Google hasn't even connected my house yet.

I had 25 Mbps in 2011. I moved more to the country and have a whopping 3Mbps DSL connection now (the fastest available and the ONLY high speed option).

Mine went from 30Mbps to 100Mbps (I normally get 130Mbps down) but my upload only went from 3Mbps to 4Mbps which is quite sad. at least my bill only went up about 10%.

I had about 30 with Time Warner in 2011 ... switched to Fios for speeds around 100 ... moved to a new city in 2014 and now have around 100 with Comcast ... so, yeah, tripled sounds about right

I had 20mb CenturyLink DSL and last year went to Comcast (ugh) but at 105mb. For less money even.

I've had 30/5 for about 8 years now, but my bill has certainly gone up by a good percentage.

Mine went from 120 Mbps Down and 20 Mbps up to 35 Mbps Down and 5 Mbps up. Had to move to a new area that had an inferior connection. And get this, here's the kicker, I moved from a place where your neighbor was a mile away to the city.

I went from 10mb in 2011 to Gigabit in 2014. Thanks to Google Fiber coming to my neighborhood, the cable company increased bandwidth and reduced their prices. Google hasn't even connected my house yet.

I'm jelly.

in the last 5 year span from 2010-2015

I went from a docsis 2.0 modem with a 10/1 connection to Docsis 3.0 and a 45/4 connection then a 60/10 connection

now on 100/10 and finally decided to update the router for this connection.

Had a Dlink DGL4500 now own a Netgear R7000 running asus merlin eveything is great.

I would like more upload but that won't happen until docsis 3.1 in 2016 at some point.

I had 16/5 and went to 50/10. My internet bill is now about $150/mo...

I'm stuck in a vicious cycle.
Every 12 months or so they raise the speed (free!), and 6 months later they give me a big price increase.

Last speed upgrade was for 25 to 50mbit, and I'm expecting the next price increase in a couple months.

I'd rather stay at the old speed with a lower price :(

Mine went up 2400% (download side) because as happy as I was with the ISP I had, 6Mbps ADSL was just not cutting it, as a result I made my deal with the devil and Comcast now gets a check from me every month for slightly cheaper (no phone "fees") to get me 150Mbps.

Huh, I'm a rural Verizon DSL customer and our speed went from 3.0Mbps to 1.5Mbps over the past four years. As more customers moved into the neighborhood the SNR and attenuation went to shit and they had to artificially lower the speed just so it would stay connected (somewhat) reliably. Guess there isn't enough bandwidth for everybody. All for $55/month including home phone service that we don't use. What a deal.

I had 25 Mbps in 2011. I moved more to the country and have a whopping 3Mbps DSL connection now (the fastest available and the ONLY high speed option).

I would strangle a puppy to have a dsl option up at my cabin. My choices are Satellite or dial up.

I had 100Mb in 2011, moved to a more populated area 30 minutes north in 2013, and today the best I can get is 50Mb. :(

I am on Comcast Business and speeds tend to be fairly stagnant, at least compared to residential (Xfinity). Though it is nice to be able to transfer a half dozen terabytes each month and not have them care.

I have either comcast at $90 per month for 20mb/5mb service or what I currently have which is Uverse 3mb/512k for $20 a month. My hatred for Comcast still overrides my needs for higher speeds.

I have either comcast at $90 per month for 20mb/5mb service or what I currently have which is Uverse 3mb/512k for $20 a month. My hatred for Comcast still overrides my needs for higher speeds.

Just curious, what exactly do you "hate" about them that AT&T does so much better?

comcast in my area- denver, went from 50Mbps on Blast+ to 125Mb/10Mb

I moved and am currently using CenturyLink DSL @ 40Mb/5Mb for $40 a month instead of paying $100 for cable/tv

And yet our options for budget internet are no better than they were 20 years ago.

30 to about 215 with just a minimal price increase, since TWC let me use my own modem and not pay the ridiculous lease fee. I could buy a new modem each year and still have money left over compared to what they are charging to lease one.

I had 10/1 cable in '11 from Insight.
I have 30/3(I think) now from TWC.
Same $55/mo since.
They have 60/? in my area now, but its nearly $100.
I can stream uncompressed 1440p from YouTube without buffer issues, so no need to upgrade. Never have issues with Netflix or gaming. I don't torrent anywhere close to what I used to. Having money and Redbox changed me from a life of e-crime ;)

I was at 30/8'ish in 2011. I'm at 180/28 right now and actually paying less thanks to a Comcast bundle.
As long as I don't have to call India for billing issues, I couldn't be happier.

Huh. I knew my town of 35k people was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad until I see what you all are getting.

2011 - paid for 8 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up
2014/15 - paid/paying for 15 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up

I could get up to 50 Mbps, but I'd have to spend nearly $100/month to do so. (Man, I wish TWC had some competition in this region!)

AT&T dsl in California, huge increases here.
Mine: 1.5 -> 18 ($52)
Dad's: 3 -> 27 ($30)
They gave him some sort of old grouchy person discount that I can't wrangle out of customer service.

Speed is the same, price been going up, caps may become an issue... I need another provider... And whoever gets Google fiber.. Buy the service just to make them successful.. Make they can become nationwide someday before I die.

I don't really understand why a lot of discussions (if not most) regarding internet speeds seem to leave out cost. It's only truly progressive if internet speeds went up 3x while cost remained the same (pegged to inflation).

Huh. I knew my town of 35k people was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad until I see what you all are getting.

2011 - paid for 8 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up
2014/15 - paid/paying for 15 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up

I could get up to 50 Mbps, but I'd have to spend nearly $100/month to do so. (Man, I wish TWC had some competition in this region!)

Same size as my town. We have zero competition for TWC. Windstream all but pulled out DSL access years ago when they bought BellSouth. I can get 25Mb DSL for $45, and it sucks. Could never even get 4Mb from it. BS left our little city in ruins. It's so bad, that Nielson took our box away because they had such a hard time pulling data from it via phone connection. Why they never update those things to wireless is beyond me.

Time Warner gave us free upgrades from 50 to 100MB down, and then 100MB to over 300MB down...for the same $60/month.

My internet plan is called the "Ultimate 50", but it's more like "Ultimate Winning" :D

Heh where I'm at: 2011 I think I was still on at&t dsl. 6 down for about 45/mo. 2013 I went to suddenlink 10/1 for about the same price but now it's 15/1.5 for 40 a month.

Back