AVG Chrome Extension Created Security Risk For Millions

HardOCP News

[H] News
I might be wrong but isn't antivirus software supposed to keep you safe from the bad guys? If you've been running the AVG Chrome extension, you might want to read this.

When Google reported the existence of a gaping flaw that appeared trivially easy to exploit and exposed users’ browsing history and hindered Chrome’s malware-checking abilities, they hoped AVG would move quickly to patch it up. To their credit, they put together a fix and pushed it to the Chrome Web Store within four days of Google security engineer Tavis Ormandy’s initial report. They failed to take care of a potential man-in-the-middle vulnerability, though, and had to push a second update the next day after additional prompting from Ormandy.

AVG has been the worst antivirus for a long time. I'm not sure why people use it.

AVG fixed a reported security issue in 4/5 days and people have sand in their vaginas about it... Can someone pull up a list of the unfixed security issue wasteland Google has created with Android?

It seems like all the big AV manufacturer's products are nearly as bad as most low-end malware these days.

Seriously -- people just need to use the built in MS security suite.

Should you go to the dark sticky corners of the web for certain types of entertainment, spy hunter or spybot search and destroy usually cleans everything up.

I think if it would have just said, "Chrome extensions create security risk for millions", that would have been more accurate. :D

Back