Unreal Engine 4 Augmented Reality Fight Scene

HardOCP News

[H] News
Some guy created a pretty cool Unreal Engine 4 fight scene demo in augmented reality using the AR plugin for UE4. With all the VR headsets on the horizon, how many of you are looking forward to augmented reality games?

I can't see anything else in it than casual crap. Augmented reality only works if i is seamless. That means without a bulky piece of expensive vr headset.

It'd make LARPing a lot more interesting! :)

VR I really like. AR, I'm on the fence on. It had the potential to be great, but it's just an overlay into your own world. I just don't know how'd I use it. There would need to be a "killer app" that got my attention that shows me how great it can be. While the video is cool and neat, it's not something I'd do beyond the initial "Wow, this is cool" phase. Like the AR with the Nintendo 3DS. It was awesome for 15 minutes.

I see AR being very useful in non-gaming situations. Repairing machinery, operating equipment, etc. You have that HUD that shows you exactly where things are, what to push, where part locations are - as you're looking at the device. Or, interface with the machinery - it'll show you diagnostics for whatever you're looking at. Lots of possibilities there.

Something like the Microsoft HoloLens teamed up with a fighting game like Tekken or Mortal Kombat would be cool. That could be pretty cool if you could scale the fighters up to be giants and the game could overlay on say your backyard or scaled to 1:1, 1/4 or 1/2 size and fight within the confines of a room or a table or something like that. Assuming you had a second holo lens, it could be a good time with a few friends.

I don't have any gamer friends so I'm cool with it being a solo experience as well, lol. AR has potential, we just need the technology that overlays all this stuff to be a lot smaller, like Google Glass small instead of HoloLens/Oculus Rift sized.

I can't see anything else in it than casual crap. Augmented reality only works if i is seamless. That means without a bulky piece of expensive vr headset.

So a casual will wear: "a bulky piece of expensive vr headset."?

Something like the Microsoft HoloLens teamed up with a fighting game like Tekken or Mortal Kombat would be cool.

I am looking forward to Microsoft's HoloLens too. I liked the movie viewing / entertainment aspects as well as the potential for gaming / apps.

I played the one run by Google for a while, and it was pretty fun.
Something like this? Not so exciting, but despite my age, Pokemon Go looks awesome.

I see AR being very useful in non-gaming situations. Repairing machinery, operating equipment, etc. You have that HUD that shows you exactly where things are, what to push, where part locations are - as you're looking at the device. Or, interface with the machinery - it'll show you diagnostics for whatever you're looking at. Lots of possibilities there.

This, a thousand times this. Like when you're trying to get a socket wrench onto a bolt that's hidden under the intake manifold on the back side of your engine.

Woot Terminator vision! :D

I'm thinking battle field comms and such could be a useful application, especially in close quarters situations.

I like the part where the last guy in black was a much better fighter so there for the guy in white had to puss out and use a weapon. What a little bitch.

So a casual will wear: "a bulky piece of expensive vr headset."?

Obviously not, that's why I don't see this usage picking up anytime soon.

I was commenting on augmented reality itself, that gaming wise it can only create casual crap ATM.

I'd like to see augmented reality games where you actually have to go out to the park and look for clues there. But you'd look batshit crazy walking around normal people wearing a vr helmet. Until they can put it into like google glass let's shelve it.

You genuinely think, that overlaying anything onto reality, has no value (beyond casual crap), until the peripheral used to display this information is imperceptible?

Just recently a doctor used Google cardboard to view an infant's heart in 3D, and perform an operation on it.
He saved this young girl's life, and would not have been able to constrained to existing alternatives (his words, not mine). This was an application of augmented reality, with a bulky (albeit inexpensive) piece of cardboard equipment.

Easy conclusions are dangerous my friend, and very revealing to those that haven't stopped quite so short.

I'm glad some people aren't in charge of some technology firms. There is some amazing stuff coming out. If someone had said - "nah, it really isn't that great. Scrap it. It's too bulky.", we'd lose a lot of great stuff. Look at the first computers. People said they were just expensive calculators. No one would have a use for them outside of large businesses....

It's that lack of forward out look that sinks tech companies.

You genuinely think, that overlaying anything onto reality, has no value (beyond casual crap), until the peripheral used to display this information is imperceptible?

Just recently a doctor used Google cardboard to view an infant's heart in 3D, and perform an operation on it.
He saved this young girl's life, and would not have been able to constrained to existing alternatives (his words, not mine). This was an application of augmented reality, with a bulky (albeit inexpensive) piece of cardboard equipment.

Easy conclusions are dangerous my friend, and very revealing to those that haven't stopped quite so short.

The post was about games, so I was thinking solely in terms of gaming I though that was obvious. Clearly not.

We aren't that far from having decent wireless power transmission to charge and run devices in a small room.

We currently HAVE the ability to transmit HD and UHD signals wirelessly.

So, given today's tech, does anyone see why it would be very long before we can have a lightweight no more than bulky-glasses sized device that gets both power to run the displays and the video signal from the nearby computer?

Doesn't really seem far-fetched to me. Almost doable right now. And far more realistic than putting the computing hardware in the headwear.

I'm glad some people aren't in charge of some technology firms. There is some amazing stuff coming out. If someone had said - "nah, it really isn't that great. Scrap it. It's too bulky.", we'd lose a lot of great stuff. Look at the first computers. People said they were just expensive calculators. No one would have a use for them outside of large businesses....

It's exactly this hostile, always assume the worst about the other one attitude that holds us back. So you can stuff it.

The post was clearly about gaming, so I responded within gaming terms. And I was commenting on Augmented Reality, which this news article is about, not VR in it's entirety.

People are so narcissistic these days, if they like something they think they need to rush to it's defense every time someone says something negative about it. With some people this goes so out of control that they refuse to acknowledge any fault with "their precious". Wake up, there is no ultimate of anything. There is always room to improve, and to improve you need to acknowledge what needs to be improved.

VR headsets are currently bulky, which limits their usage and application possibilities. It's a fact. And I never said VR should be scrapped in it's entirety. Don't project your fears onto my message. I said let's shelf augmented reality games until the technology gets better. THAT'S IT Nothing more, nothing less. And just to be clear augmented reality does not equal or include virtual reality. It's not even exclusive to VR technology, it's possible to do augmented reality without using VR as it's known today.

Somebody needs a hug.

Yes, it needs improvement. That comes with time. Bringing this out now would get people interested, get developers making things for it. Delaying it for a decade would send it to it's coffin. If you're never going to release something because it can be improved (everything can be improved - nothing is perfect) then it should be shelved. Release the first edition. Keep improving it. Release it again.

Technology evolves. But, there has to be the big, bulky edition first (or better - the unrefined version).

It'd make LARPing a lot more interesting! :)

VR I really like. AR, I'm on the fence on. It had the potential to be great, but it's just an overlay into your own world. I just don't know how'd I use it. There would need to be a "killer app" that got my attention that shows me how great it can be. While the video is cool and neat, it's not something I'd do beyond the initial "Wow, this is cool" phase. Like the AR with the Nintendo 3DS. It was awesome for 15 minutes.

I fully agree, there are many non gaming uses for AR. The uses you gave there are just a few of them and is what I am looking forward to.

First off, please learn the difference between AR and VR. While I can somewhat understand slightly what you are trying to say through all your post here, you keep confusing the two and try to use them interchangeable. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME however. AR = Augmented reality. With AR you see everything around you as it really is but with extra information presented or something projected onto a surface that really isn't there. So watching a movie on a wall with a screen that isn't really there, Playing a game on a fake screen. Playing a game with characters that appear to be in the room but are not really there.... VR = Virtual Reality. This is a fully immersive technology where everything around you is removed and you are 100% dropped into whatever you are playing or watching. Instead of you seeing anything in the room you see a 100% fake environment seeing only what would be the screen while playing a game with everything else removed.

Most VR headsets (PlayStation VR, Oculus, Vive...) are not for doing AR they are for doing VR and VR only. You then have AR headsets that are meant for doing AR and AR only such as Hololens or Google Glass. WIth a very slight few, maybe just Google Cardboard being able to be used for both. The reason is that VR headsets cover your eyes and have two screens (one for each eye) for controlling what you see. This means you would need realtime camera feedback from that device going back to the pc, and then having that displayed back to the screens. AR headsets in many cases with current designs of technology is a transparent lens that has an imagine projected on it, similar to the HUD in high end cars or certain aircraft. Google cardboard uses a cell phone which is doing all the processing and has a build in camera so that can do AR by turning on the rear camera to see around it. Or just use the screen to do VR.

So these are two very different technologies that are being developed with most devices being aimed at only one or the other and for every different uses. As for the headsets, most aren't actually that bulky once you get to the consumer side of things anymore. This isn't like trying to strap a virtual boy to your face from the early days of consumer VR. Instead you are looking at something with maybe 2 or 3 bulk of a good pair of gaming or noise canceling headphones.

We currently HAVE the ability to transmit HD and UHD signals wirelessly.

? Maybe i missed that 32gbps wireless consumer standard ure talking of.
Even the fastest cabled consumer ethernet standard tops out at 10gbps and that would be just enough for full hd @ 60 hz.

? Maybe i missed that 32gbps wireless consumer standard ure talking of.
Even the fastest cabled consumer ethernet standard tops out at 10gbps and that would be just enough for full hd @ 60 hz.

...without compression.
Consumers have historically and repeatedly indicated that they have no problem with compressed signals.

...without compression.
Consumers have historically and repeatedly indicated that they have no problem with compressed signals.

I'm not sure consumers ever really had a choice with getting anything but a compressed signal with the exception of Bluray. Look at Dish and DirecTV, and most likely land based providers, the signals that get beamed between their transmitters and the dish on your roof aren't even full resolution, last I knew which has been a few years, DirecTV had the best resolution at 1440x1080 or somewhere around there. I know the horizontal was 1440, can't specifically recall the vertical though. If consumers have never seen true HD then how are they supposed to know they aren't getting true HD.

I will admit to seeing your point though, many years ago when I worked for Dish, I repeatedly went into homes where people had thousands of dollars invested in their TV and either didn't even have an HD source connected or it wasn't properly setup. Just last week I went over to my girlfriend's parents house where they have had Dish setup on an old (forget the make) Kurio plasma...back when it was bought, it was one of the best TVs you could get...anyways, I go into the receiver's display menu and it was still only outputting in 480. Turned it up to 1080 and they were like OMG, that looks nice :rolleyes:

...without compression.

True, but as soon as ure talking VR / AR ure talking ultra low latency. Compression / decompression just adds another layer of latency to a system which is even with a cabled signal on the very limits of acceptable.

Problem isnt that we cant get the data wirelessly to the headset display pixels, problem is how do we do it in under 3ms.

As i see it, this is atleast another 5 years of.

Like what NASA is working on.
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...rate-to-bring-science-fiction-to-science-fact

I still don't know why people are still trying to do Augmented Reality in the *entertainment* domain. It's the kind of thing that just screams of industrial applications. For example, I really see it being useful for things like museum tours (additional info about exhibits and directions through the museum), pedestrian and cyclist direction (put turn-by-turn right in front of you), training for how to operate factory equipment (show the worker which knob to use next and which direction to turn it).

I just don't see how it's "fun" to sit there and see things overlayed on the real world. If I wanted to see the real world, I wouldn't be trying to play a game to escape from the real world.

I still don't know why people are still trying to do Augmented Reality in the *entertainment* domain.

So far, everything isn't really that great. I'm hoping they come out with something that is cool. Right now, it's standard style games overlayed into the real world. I just don't think they've realized the potential of it and haven't come up with the original game idea for it. I think the major benefit so far is non-entertainment stuff, too. So many possibilities there.

Back