Intel Completes Acquisition of Altera

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel today announced that it has completed the acquisition of Altera Corporation ("Altera"), a leading provider of field-programmable gate array (FPGA) technology. The acquisition complements Intel's leading-edge product portfolio and enables new classes of products in the high-growth data center and Internet of Things (IoT) market segments.

Altera will operate as a new Intel business unit called the Programmable Solutions Group (PSG), led by Altera veteran Dan McNamara. Intel is committed to a smooth transition for Altera customers and will continue the support and future product development of Altera's many products, including FPGA, ARM®-based SoC and power products. In addition to strengthening the existing FPGA business, PSG will work closely with Intel's Data Center Group and IoT Group to deliver the next generation of highly customized, integrated products and solutions.

So i've heard of this Internet of things market segment, but is that anything other than imaginary?

So i've heard of this Internet of things market segment, but is that anything other than imaginary?

Not really. It's got a lot of potential. From small things that you'd think of - Rasperry Pi, home automation, cameras, baby monitors, etc.. to barcode scanners, etc..

A lot of it is by hobbyist people just making cool little devices to connect a weather station to the internet or a sprinkler controller or whatever. But, there is a lot of business and manufacturing stuff that is being done.

It's still an emerging technology, but it's growing very fast. Lots of potential, but I still assume it's all pretty vulnerable. Connecting your sprinklers to the internet? Some time, you're going to have the sprinklers go off when you didn't want them to....

Not really. It's got a lot of potential. From small things that you'd think of - Rasperry Pi, home automation, cameras, baby monitors, etc.. to barcode scanners, etc..

A lot of it is by hobbyist people just making cool little devices to connect a weather station to the internet or a sprinkler controller or whatever. But, there is a lot of business and manufacturing stuff that is being done.

It's still an emerging technology, but it's growing very fast. Lots of potential, but I still assume it's all pretty vulnerable. Connecting your sprinklers to the internet? Some time, you're going to have the sprinklers go off when you didn't want them to....
But isn't everything you mentioned just service based architecture?
Like web services and whatnot? Why call it the Internet of things?

IoT refers to "connect everything" movement. IoT is essentially just connecting a bunch of dumb devices through the Internet.

Because they are all devices that used to operate independently. Now, they are connected to the internet (some, I question why they are....). Controlling a camera from across the world - the camera is now considered part of the IoT. It's like "The Cloud". It's the buzzword for something the existed before, but is expanding and becoming more mainstream.

Service based? Can be. Can be a dumb device with an IP address....

Because they are all devices that used to operate independently. Now, they are connected to the internet (some, I question why they are....). Controlling a camera from across the world - the camera is now considered part of the IoT. It's like "The Cloud". It's the buzzword for something the existed before, but is expanding and becoming more mainstream.

Service based? Can be. Can be a dumb device with an IP address....
But IP cameras have existed for years. IoT is a newish buzzword that is practically meaningless.
At least the cloud just describes VMs on the internet instead of being local.

Back