Botched Database Leaks Records For 191M Voters

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is there anywhere your information is safe these days? The government has leaked your info. Department stores have leaked your info. Kids toys have leaked your kids info. Game publishers have leaked your info. Now your voting info has been leaked. You might as well put a sign on your door with all your info on it. :(

Researcher Chris Vickery has discovered that a badly configured database exposed the voter registration info for 191 million Americans, including addresses, party affiliations and state voter IDs. It's not clear who originally managed the data, but Vickery and Databreaches.net are reaching out to everyone from online services to Congressional political action committees.

From the article:
There's a real possibility that this kind of incident could happen again.
"Could happen again," could happen?

Shouldn't it be reworded to read as: "when it happens again"?

The only person I really trust with my personal information is myself and then I'm not so sure of myself sometimes. :p

With so much "rogue IT" going on, I'm not surprised. I bet the database was in MS Access on somebody's desktop.

The severity of this seems up in the air.

If it's just general information like what party you are affiliated with and when you voted then some of this is public record anyways...just the fact they could get it at will makes it different.

But if your actual vote was exposed then depending on the state that could have significant legal issues.

From the article:
"Could happen again," could happen?

Shouldn't it be reworded to read as: "when it happens again"?

The only person I really trust with my personal information is myself and then I'm not so sure of myself sometimes. :p

No, because the sentence wouldn't make sense.

As for yourself... have you voted? If you have, and are of this 191 million, yourself isn't very trust worthy because you let these guys have it and now it's LEAKED! EAKED I TELL YOU!

so... they can't keep a database secure, but the voting machines.... yea sure they are totally safe from modification if they even work as intended to begin with.

Security like most IT spending is just an afterthought. Companies don't typically care or think about security until something happens or they are required to in order to pass audits.

Security like most IT spending is just an afterthought. Companies don't typically care or think about security until something happens or they are required to in order to pass audits.

Well, they are signing up for the Safety Act in droves because under that legislation they gain protection from civil law suites related to data breaches as long as they submit to security scans and comply with government cyber security guidelines.

Of course that's only good for business, government entities are different.

But remember...expecting people to show ID before they vote is racist!

Back