Unicorns, Ad-Wrapped Cars And Other Signs Of A Coming Techpocalypse

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't think it is a matter of "if" a techpocalypse is coming, it's just a matter of "when." It's almost like the dot-com bust all over again.

"A lot of the money spent in the late 1990s during the dot-com boom was purely wasted," said Eric Goldman, a professor of Internet and advertising law at Santa Clara University, adding that the mania at small companies to show progress meant that family sedans emblazoned with corporate logos made sense. When the dot-com bust hit, demand for all that advertising collapsed. Ad-wrapped cars "went out the window," he said.

The computer industry is essentially dead when it comes to innovation. With lack of innovation comes lack of growth and nobody is going to make much money. The "techpocalypse" (I hate that word) has been here for a while. Intel's new new Skylake is disappointing. Newer faster tablets don't matter cause the software is just not there.

But infrastructure needs to expand and improve. Alternative energy sources like solar and wind power are becoming popular. Electric cars and self driving cars are going to be big. But the biggest tech venture is medical. CRISPR is going to change the world and the tool works, it's just a matter of applying it.

The computer age is over, but the medical age is about to begin.

The computer industry isn't dead on innovation, just mature. At one time, telegraphs and railroads were the new growth industries. Many folks got crazy rich investing in those industries. As both matured, other new things became the growth fields. Telephones, electricity, cars, roads, indoor plumbing all had their magic growth phase. When most folks have one of the new 'growth' gizmos, the excitement is gone. Computers and smartphones are basically at the no more excitement phase. Neither Microsoft nor Intel are hurting for income or cash flow but neither is an exciting growth stock anymore. Their products have become boring basic tools for folks wanting to invent the next exciting thing, whatever that might be.

I see people driving around with just a URL on their back window. Like I'm supposed to want to go to some obscure website without any reason. Vehicular advertising is only good when you pony up. And even then there's no guarantee. Fools and their money...

I see people driving around with just a URL on their back window. Like I'm supposed to want to go to some obscure website without any reason. Vehicular advertising is only good when you pony up. And even then there's no guarantee. Fools and their money...

Better then the QR rash we had to deal with several years ago....

Instructions? Just scan this WR code!

Back