Software Glitch Let 3,200 Prison Inmates Out Early

HardOCP News

[H] News
Somebody is going to get fired over this. Honestly, how could they know about the problem for three years and still not have a fix?

Washington's Department of Corrections has been forced to admit that around three percent of the prison population has been released early since 2002. The issue, which was admitted yesterday by Governor Jay Inslee, surrounds a software glitch that's been incorrectly calculating the duration of inmates sentences.

$20 says one of the software engineers had/has someone on the inside.

Somebody is going to get fired over this. Honestly, how could they know about the problem for three years and still not have a fix?

Washington's Department of Corrections has been forced to admit that around three percent of the prison population has been released early since 2002. The issue, which was admitted yesterday by Governor Jay Inslee, surrounds a software glitch that's been incorrectly calculating the duration of inmates sentences.

Seems like 2-3 years is enough time to fix this, but sometimes seemingly simple problems have complex solutions, especially if the S/W is poorly designed.
Fortunately it's just 100 days.

How about having a human verify the date once the computer says it's time? Seems like a second set of eyes would be a good idea.

Here in California we don't need software, instead we have liberal judges and spineless politicians that force early release of criminals.

How about just never letting people out of prison instead of relying on a computer system to say when it's okay? People who are guilty shouldn't be allowed to join society again because like 95% of them just end up doing some other crime thing once they get back out.

How about just never letting people out of prison instead of relying on a computer system to say when it's okay? People who are guilty shouldn't be allowed to join society again because like 95% of them just end up doing some other crime thing once they get back out.

I know youre just trolololing, but its closer to 51%

This is Washington we're talking about here. No one is gonna get fired over this.

Think of the cost savings to taxpayers for the marginally early release.

Think of the cost savings to taxpayers for the marginally early release.

Think of the cost to all the people who where robbed, assaulted or killed by criminals who should have still been in jail.

Think of the cost to all the people who where robbed, assaulted or killed by criminals who should have still been in jail.

Repeat offenders probably would have repeated anyway, just a little bit later.

Here in California we don't need software, instead we have liberal judges and spineless politicians that force early release of criminals.

They release them, because you don't have the space. Call your state rep and ask them to raise your taxes so they can build more jails.

Call your state rep and ask them to raise your taxes so they can build more jails.

Wouldn't help.
They let them out early and raised taxes. We have one of the highest tax rates in the country, and also some of the highest paid correction officers in the country.
The politicians and judges don't care, because they all have protection or live behind walled housing tracks.
What's sad is that the lower income people most affected by these early releasers will keep voting these same people back into office. Can't wait until I can retire and can finally move out of this state (and I was born here).

And that number is easily reducible with better efforts towards rehabilitation and a shift in certain public attitudes.

The problem isn't public attitude. It's the sense of entitlement that criminals give to themselves. They think that after being in a prison that they somehow deserve to be treated like a normal person when they're proved by killing someone or doing drugs or speeding that they're not. They're just criminal scum that shouldn't even be allowed to look a non-criminal in the eyes let alone like speak to one of us. It's already bad enough that the working class think they act like that, but really the prison system needs to just keep these awful murderers, rapists, and drug addicts away from the rest of us for as long as they're alive. Anything else would be inhumane.

mESgKYM.jpg

The problem isn't public attitude. It's the sense of entitlement that criminals give to themselves. They think that after being in a prison that they somehow deserve to be treated like a normal person when they're proved by killing someone or doing drugs or speeding that they're not. They're just criminal scum that shouldn't even be allowed to look a non-criminal in the eyes let alone like speak to one of us. It's already bad enough that the working class think they act like that, but really the prison system needs to just keep these awful murderers, rapists, and drug addicts away from the rest of us for as long as they're alive. Anything else would be inhumane.

This is living proof as to why the USA has such a huge number of inhabitants in jail.

Enjoy your failed criminal laws and punishments. Maybe one day you will understand the cause and will try to find a useful solution. I don't know, you could start by looking at other civilized countries and checking their crime rates... then you could cross that with how hard their punishments are.

This is living proof as to why the USA has such a huge number of inhabitants in jail.

Enjoy your failed criminal laws and punishments. Maybe one day you will understand the cause and will try to find a useful solution. I don't know, you could start by looking at other civilized countries and checking their crime rates... then you could cross that with how hard their punishments are.

We are working on it. The end of marijuana prohibition is going to be the biggest step. So many people in prison because of weed... It's insane. The few states that have legalized recreational use have seen their crime rates fall. Most of the huge prison population are illegal immigrants and drugs. Deport them, and do something about the horrible Reagan minimum sentencing in drug cases.

I don't get why people think it's such a big deal to smoke something that they advocate for it to be made legal. The problem with that is the people who use weed. They're self-centered and addiction prone which is something that's partly environmental and partly genetic lineage. Making something legal only reduces the visibility of criminal activity related to that thing rather than actually fixes the people who are so willing to throw away everything of value to get high off something. Those kinds of people DO NOT belong in civilized society and in order to stop that cycle, breeding prohibitions should be instituted to slowly weed (no pun intended) them and their problem out by stopping them from passing on their problem to another generation of children.

But I thought computers don't make mistakes, and they should do all our driving for us? Right??? RIGHT?????

But I thought computers don't make mistakes, and they should do all our driving for us? Right??? RIGHT?????[/QUOTE
Wrong. So if self driving cars "only" reduce fatal accidents by say 90% and cause the other 10% we shouldn't have them because there are still 3000 fatal accidents a year instead of 30,000? That's the kind of logic used by bad programmers.

LOL at tossing 20% of the working population in jail for life at a cost of roughly 3 billion a year (not counting the cost to build jails to house 60 million more people) for drug use...and an addition 20-40 million/year for traffic violations.

I can't even imagine how much economic devastation that would occur when 1/3 of the workforce goes from tax payer to a revenue liability.

I don't get why people think it's such a big deal to smoke something that they advocate for it to be made legal. The problem with that is the people who use weed. They're self-centered and addiction prone which is something that's partly environmental and partly genetic lineage. Making something legal only reduces the visibility of criminal activity related to that thing rather than actually fixes the people who are so willing to throw away everything of value to get high off something. Those kinds of people DO NOT belong in civilized society and in order to stop that cycle, breeding prohibitions should be instituted to slowly weed (no pun intended) them and their problem out by stopping them from passing on their problem to another generation of children.

Easy now Hitler, or maybe we should be weeding out the sick and mentally ill too? How about those born with Downs syndrome? They should probably be put down at birth right?

LOL at tossing 20% of the working population in jail for life at a cost of roughly 3 billion a year (not counting the cost to build jails to house 60 million more people) for drug use...and an addition 20-40 million/year for traffic violations.

I can't even imagine how much economic devastation that would occur when 1/3 of the workforce goes from tax payer to a revenue liability.

We could make that a lot cheaper by denying services and reducing the amount of space prisoners are allowed to have. Give them a 4x7 foot room and don't let them leave it ever to go to a cafeteria, a gym, a library, support group, or anything else. They can get the cheapest food possible and sit in their box for the rest of their life at like a really cost.

Easy now Hitler, or maybe we should be weeding out the sick and mentally ill too? How about those born with Downs syndrome? They should probably be put down at birth right?

That's a slippery slope you're trying to build the foundation of your argument and I like how you tried to do the emotional appeal thing by including a villainous historical figure. I like that you're at least trying even though you're not very good at it or taking a very original approach.

We could make that a lot cheaper by denying services and reducing the amount of space prisoners are allowed to have. Give them a 4x7 foot room and don't let them leave it ever to go to a cafeteria, a gym, a library, support group, or anything else. They can get the cheapest food possible and sit in their box for the rest of their life at like a really cost.

That's a slippery slope you're trying to build the foundation of your argument and I like how you tried to do the emotional appeal thing by including a villainous historical figure. I like that you're at least trying even though you're not very good at it or taking a very original approach.

CUG, I <3 you so much. You're my daily web entertainment, especially when people start raging at your well crafted posts.

CUG, I <3 you so much. You're my daily web entertainment, especially when people start raging at your well crafted posts.

Aw gee thanks! :) It's always nice to know someone out there is smiling. Now I'm all happy and stuff which is great since it's Christmas and all that.

Alright, well I like how you try to make this about me instead of you taking a moment and think about your own arguments. Because, seriously, either you're trolling or you just need some time to mature. You proposing to put people who smoke pot in jail in a 4x7 cell for life and slapping them with a "do not breed" sticker, calling them degenerates is just plain stupid.

I'm gonna have to go with you trying hard to get ppl to rage at you...maybe you get your kicks out of it who knows. I for one can't be bothered anymore because I almost fell in your trap. Better leave it. :D

If you ignore the constitution? Sure.

Alright, well I like how you try to make this about me instead of you taking a moment and think about your own arguments. Because, seriously, either you're trolling or you just need some time to mature. You proposing to put people who smoke pot in jail in a 4x7 cell for life and slapping them with a "do not breed" sticker, calling them degenerates is just plain stupid.

So your "mature" counter argument is "It's stupid, you're immature, and trolling!" which certainly seems like a very mature way to respond to someone who isn't taking your bait with the Hitler name calling thing. Yeah, so call me back when you have something rational to contribute to this discussion like maybe, I dunno, solutions instead of the silly stuff you're sharing now because...

I'm gonna have to go with you trying hard to get ppl to rage at you...maybe you get your kicks out of it who knows. I for one can't be bothered anymore because I almost fell in your trap. Better leave it. :D

No matter how hard you try to pretend like this is a trap, which it OBVIOUSLY isn't, you still aren't adding value to the conversation that might move us closer to an answer to the problems all those stoned out pot smokers and murderers cause across the planet.

If you ignore the constitution? Sure.

There's totally a process to add or remove junk from that thing-y. I think changes are called amendments or something, but anyhow, it's written on paper and not in stone for a reason.

lol come on man... "stoned out pot smokers and murderers"? Not one of those "stoned out pot smokers" I've met in my lifetime showed ANY violent or aggressive behaviour.
Solution? Legalize it. No more reason to fill your prisons with people who hardly are hurting anyone but potentially themselves. And you get rid of smugglers and dealers who I think are far more dangerous than the actual end user.
Sure there is a social aspect to it, because let's face it, a lot of them are bums. But prison? No.
I can tell you one thing though, your solution is not it.
And you know, murderers already get life in prison and some are even put to death. Pot smokers and murderers don't belong in the same sentence.

There's totally a process to add or remove junk from that thing-y. I think changes are called amendments or something, but anyhow, it's written on paper and not in stone for a reason.

You keep dreaming up those nightmare amendments. There's not going to be an amendment that passes in the lifetime of any adult on [H].

lol come on man... "stoned out pot smokers and murderers"? Not one of those "stoned out pot smokers" I've met in my lifetime showed ANY violent or aggressive behaviour.
Solution? Legalize it. No more reason to fill your prisons with people who hardly are hurting anyone but potentially themselves. And you get rid of smugglers and dealers who I think are far more dangerous than the actual end user.
Sure there is a social aspect to it, because let's face it, a lot of them are bums. But prison? No.
I can tell you one thing though, your solution is not it.
And you know, murderers already get life in prison and some are even put to death. Pot smokers and murderers don't belong in the same sentence.

Assuming CUG is serious, she thinks Reefer Madness was a documentary.

Back