Bank of America Has Twitter Delete Journalist’s Tweets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only can big banks have your Twitter posts deleted, they can threaten to have your entire account deleted as well. The funny part about this is that it just happened the editor of Business Insider. Had this happened to anyone else, no one probably would have ever heard about the incident.

I had an annoying surprise this weekend: an email from a bank telling me that Twitter had deleted two of my tweets for copyright violations. The email also contained a threat: If I continued to violate the bank's rights, my Twitter account would be deleted. The bank, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, did not return multiple messages requesting comment. Twitter declined comment other than to point me to the company's copyright policy.

There's an ultra-high tech solution here for journalists. They can report their journalizing on the website of the news outlet for which they work instead of using Twitter.

Problem solved. Thanks. I'll take my consultation fee in the form of several cans of 9 Lives kitty food. :D

Oh twitter account... I thought they would delete his bank account.Meh...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Money talks.

And money stops the talking.

I would make a few twitter accounts and repost, then I would take my post make it a torrent and upload it :D So then it would always be there for all to see

What can two tweets possibly hold to violate copyright?

Insider information?

There are tons of things in a Twitter post that could represent huge legal issues for a bank. Without know what the Tweets contained there's no one to judge if the right or wrong thing was done here. I don't think that it wasn't general "big banks suck" language as that's far too prolific to go to the trouble of removing two tweets.

Man that guy is chock full of conspiracy theories.....

Though the purposeful Miss Universe gaff is interesting

Try dealing with a bank that is anti-gun. They will yo-yo you down the creek. Now, if your a drug lord trafficking guns, some banks have no problems.

Not only can big banks have your Twitter posts deleted, they can threaten to have your entire account deleted as well. The funny part about this is that it just happened the editor of Business Insider. Had this happened to anyone else, no one probably would have ever heard about the incident.

I had an annoying surprise this weekend: an email from a bank telling me that Twitter had deleted two of my tweets for copyright violations. The email also contained a threat: If I continued to violate the bank's rights, my Twitter account would be deleted. The bank, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, did not return multiple messages requesting comment. Twitter declined comment other than to point me to the company's copyright policy.

This is exactly why i dont use these services. They shape speech. I have no problem with people using these services, but this is where i get concerned with people who think these services are essential to their life. I uploaded a clip of the green mile i made myself to illustrate a point to a friend, Facebook flagged it on copyright grounds before it even posted. Automatic censorship, even though the clip was absolutely fair use.

Man that guy is chock full of conspiracy theories.....

Though the purposeful Miss Universe gaff is interesting

What's that one about? That it was an intentional mistake to make a viral hit and drive popularity for the pagent?

I kinda thought the same thing for how it went down.

What can two tweets possibly hold to violate copyright?
Since I actually clicked though to the article...

He posted portions (images) of confidential client notes he somehow obtained in 2 tweets. BofAML filed a DMCA complaint to get Twitter to take it down. Twitter took it down.

The problem here is that he wasn't given an opportunity to dispute the process. As a journalist, posting portions of the notes was certainly in the category of fair use, at least if it went far enough to court to determine that. Twitter's sloppy DMCA handling also has a problem with the way it threatens repeat offenders with expulsion. Given the Cox ruling a few days ago, it might be the safest, but not morally right, option. Twitter deserves to be shamed over this in any case.

While BoA might have had a case here, we will never know since the DMCA bypasses the whole 'due process' chain and goes straight for annihilation instead.

That's the scary thing here: not so much this specific situation, but that $entity can file a DMCA claim as a way to erase something from a website or elsewhere without the justice system being involved in any way, form or shape. Chilling effects, indeed.

No offense to any HardOCP users that Twitter, but what a total waste of time to use Twitter in the first place. I wouldn't open a Twitter account if Tony Soprano made me an offer that I couldn't refuse.

And BofA can blow me -- I dumped their credit cards and paid off my home loan just to get that massive pile out of my life.

Back