Potential 2P G34 setup option possibly extended to [H] members

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
posted over in the EVGA forums by bill1024

I have been in contact with a recycler and they have a lot of AMD parts they want to move.
I picked up a 2P, it uses standard PSU, it is all ready to take 61xx , 62xx 63xx CPUs
If you and other over at H want to pick some up may do better with the more we buy.
Love to see if anyone over at the overclockers forum would be interested. I want to see this stuff put to a good use. BOINC is a great use.
I paid 75$ they took my offer. Supermicro dual socket, I found someone else with 7.50$ 6172, I bought the last he had and found more for 12.50$
If I could go to this guy and tell him I help move x number of boards, he can give me a price. I figure maybe a package Board, 2 CPUs and 8 sticks of mem X dollars.
With these challenges and everything I have on the burner, holidays, daughter getting married next week and my sons wife expecting a baby any day now.
My head is spinning!!!!
I know money is tight too around the holidays.

Maybe I'll e-mail him again and have people get in touch and say they fold and do BOINC, get a group rate.......

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2427184

Well that would be amazing. If he can get some regular eATX 2P Opty boards I might be down for four of them!

This is a board I bought from them. It is not eatx. I don't use cases for my servers, just small wood blocks on a board. Going rate for this board on ebay is just over a hundred usd. They took my offer of 75, the only seller that did. Shipped it 2 day USPS.
Going to call him back and see if he has any 4P and what other boards they want t move.

http://www.supermicro.com/aplus/motherboard/opteron6000/sr56x0/H8DGU-F.cfm

I talked to the sales rep for a while on the phone, he called me wanting to know if I can use more of the AMD servers like the one I bought. He told me about how big they are, and when I told him I heat my house with computers he got the biggest kick out of it.
Seemed very interested in what we do BOINC and folding, I linked an email to him to BOINC and FAH.

They want to move some hardware and wanted an idea as to how many boards. I know the bigadv craze is over but these do make nice crunchers. I will also have to work out how he wants to do the sales, on ebay or direct, maybe tell them we are the BOINC crunchers, so they know we are a group.
I myself would love to see this hardware be put to good use.
H has always been good us and helped fix problems, shared your know how...
Going to check with a couple other teams too,

And if you guys would like OCNG support for H8DGU, let me know (I would most likely only need some time w/Linux remote access to get it figured out).
Time is short, my obligations will prevent me from working on it completely effective Jan 4th.

Any word yet? For under 100 it might be something I could get back into, I just cant throw a few grand at the wall like I used to, having a kid is fucking expensive lol

This is a board I bought from them. It is not eatx. I don't use cases for my servers, just small wood blocks on a board. Going rate for this board on ebay is just over a hundred usd. They took my offer of 75, the only seller that did. Shipped it 2 day USPS.
Going to call him back and see if he has any 4P and what other boards they want t move.

http://www.supermicro.com/aplus/motherboard/opteron6000/sr56x0/H8DGU-F.cfm

I talked to the sales rep for a while on the phone, he called me wanting to know if I can use more of the AMD servers like the one I bought. He told me about how big they are, and when I told him I heat my house with computers he got the biggest kick out of it.
Seemed very interested in what we do BOINC and folding, I linked an email to him to BOINC and FAH.

They want to move some hardware and wanted an idea as to how many boards. I know the bigadv craze is over but these do make nice crunchers. I will also have to work out how he wants to do the sales, on ebay or direct, maybe tell them we are the BOINC crunchers, so they know we are a group.
I myself would love to see this hardware be put to good use.
H has always been good us and helped fix problems, shared your know how...
Going to check with a couple other teams too,

Any idea if they'd sell those as completely systems? I really feel strongly about putting everything in a case but that's hard with proprietary formats...

Happy new year everyone.
Just saying, I do not own or work for the recycler and am not selling any parts myself.
I do not stand to gain any profit from this.

Sorry for the delay, been busy I have so much going on.
Once I get past this weekend things will have quieted down a lot. (knock on wood) God I hope so!!
Plan on calling them Monday morning Jan 4.
I have several questions and I will find out about getting a whole system.
Bet it will be case, board,server type PSU to go in their case, I'll ask.

Awesome. That would be a great setup if the price is good

I am interested. Do not need a case, but want it to be as close to being RTG as possible. So board, cpu(s), ram & PSU. Price shipped to 27265?

I'm interested in having a backup 2P as my current power setup won't really support a whole lot more. 4P's might be an even better backup depending on what you find out on boards and such.

I'm interested in having a backup 2P as my current power setup won't really support a whole lot more. 4P's might be an even better backup depending on what you find out on boards and such.

I think I might toss one in a datacenter. :D

I am in for one of these as well. A complete system would be ideal, but barebones would work too.

Holidays are over, my daughters wedding went off without a hitch this weekend. Was a great time, loads of fun. Had a much needed day to relax after the holidays and the wedding.

I called today and asked about getting the whole system with chassis, board, memory and CPUs.
Also asked about if they had any 4P boards..
He is going to get back to me tomorrow to let me know if they have any bare bones, or if they can put some together. Didn't think he had any 4P on his site but he was going to check and call other site.
He was a bit busy when I got a hold of him, but he is going to see what he can do.
Once I hear back I will post up and give the contact info.

There are no 4P boards at this time and they do not sell "Bare Bones" systems
Chassis can be found on ebay for these, there are other 1,2,4U server chassis out there that can be had that can accept many different boards.
One good thing is the 2P boards use standard PSUs

They have roughly 50+ left of the H8DGU-F boards.
They also have the power supplies and heat sinks.
Also have 2 different AMD processors that would fit these boards
a. 154 x OS6172WKTCEGO
b. 16 x OS6378WKTGGHK

The chassis and memory are not available.

Contact info Email first with request, tell him your with the folding/BOINC group Bill sent you.
Email Michael B.
[email protected]

X Technology Global
30 Log Bridge Road
Middleton, MA. 01949 USA
978-539-8310 Office
978-539-8311 Fax
http://xtglobal-usa.com/

Do you know the model numbers for compatible cases? That's the only thing stopping me right now.

Will this board accept standard desktop DDR3?

16 DIMM sockets
Supports up to 512GB Registered ECC or 128GB Unbuffered ECC/non-ECC 1600/1333/1066 SDRAM in 16 DIMMs
Quad channel memory bus
For Dual CPUs: Recommended that memory be populated equally in adjacent memory banks

DDR3 1600/1333/1066 MHz Registered ECC Unbuffered ECC/non-ECC SDRAM 72-bit, 240-pin gold-plated DIMMs

Will this board accept standard desktop DDR3?

Again, it's in the spec website of the motherboard :p

Looks like it can Supports up to 512GB Registered ECC or 128GB Unbuffered ECC/non-ECC 1600/1333/1066 SDRAM in 16 DIMMs

Ninja edit: Gilthanis beat me to it!

Maybe I missed something but what's the price he's going for on these boards and I seen you said he's got a ton of CPUs too

Maybe I missed something but what's the price he's going for on these boards and I seen you said he's got a ton of CPUs too

For the 12 core CPUs (2 of them) and a board it's $75 shipped. The 16 core CPUs are like $200+ each and a PSU is like $50 I believe.

75 bucks for 24 cores and a board? really? and I can just use a normal PSU right, just need more then one 8pin cpu power, like the good old SR2 days?

75 bucks for 24 cores and a board? really? and I can just use a normal PSU right, just need more then one 8pin cpu power, like the good old SR2 days?

I've emailed him--will let you know what he says ;)

Heck, you got a better price than I did!!
Yes, a regular PSu will work. EVGA 650 gold, even the regular bronze PSU comes with two 12V 8 pin connectors,
I advise to put a 40mm fan on the big NB heat sink if you are running outside of a case.
It gets pretty hot.

Michael said:
Good morning *****.

I will remember to thank Bill for your contact information.

I have roughly 50+ left of the H8DGU-F boards.

We also have the power supplies and heat sinks. Pictures included above.

We have 2 different AMD processors that would fit these boards

QTY

a. 154 x OS6172WKTCEGO

b. 16 x OS6378WKTGGHK

The chassis and memory have to go back to the vendor so they’re not available.

1 x H8DGU-F board with 2 CPUs (OS6172WKTCEGO) I can give you the same price as Bill $75 delivered.

The other CPUs (OS6378WKTGGHK) are much more expensive.

We have those listed for sale at $245 per CPU. I could do those for $200 per if you prefer those instead.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Kindly,

-Michael

Lookin' good!

Any idea what they are charging for heat sinks?

Heatsinks are apparently included in the $75 price but are available seperately $15 for a pair:
Michael said:
The price of $75 for the H8DGU-F board includes the 2 Heat Sinks and 2 CPUs (6172) delivered.

Heat sinks alone I would say $15 a pair roughly.

Ordered 2 of those setups this morning for $75 each. Comes with the stock heatsinks but I don't need them. I have 4 of those musky modded heatsinks among others already doing nothing. Also have lots of fans, HDDs, memory and PSUs in my storeroom. So $150 is all it's going to cost me to essentially get a 4P rig crunching WCG. Not counting the electric bill. lol

Yup, bought 4 of them too. Will let you guys know how they do!

I have had 5 of these mobos in the past few months and can answer your questions.

i put them in a Phanteks Ethoo Pro case which support the SSI EEB form factor. (they used to be $89)
I also removed the HD trays and put one in an ATX mid-tower case.

I only crunch WCG and these should get around 12K BOINC PPD on Linux running VINA WU's.
power usage will be around 250W at stock, but can be reduced with undervolting
they can also be OC'd via tpc.

The chipset and pwm will need fans to keep them cool.

that is a really good price for the hardware, but the power bill is not worth it. IMO
I find with DC it always comes back to points/watt and not initial investment cost. (at least for me)
I am in the process to switching to E5 V3 Xeons.

I have some items for sale that might interest you.
4 coolermaster hyper212+ that have been musky modded
4 complete musky mods for the hyper 212 (mod only, not HSF)
32 x 2GB DDR3 1333 sticks of ram for this mobo.
Supermicro 4p G34 1U barebones server.
FS thread here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1888245

PM me if interested.

Last edited:
My winter home is near Austin,TX. Don't get any snow but it can get cold here. The house has no heating system. So, instead of wasting electricity on space heaters, I choose to use my computers to heat the house. ;)

No pets, no wife, no kids living with me, so no cases needed.

I have had 5 of these mobos in the past few months and can answer your questions.

i put them in a Phanteks Ethoo Pro case which support the SSI EEB form factor. (they used to be $89)
I also removed the HD trays and put one in an ATX mid-tower case.

I only crunch WCG and these should get around 12K BOINC PPD on Linux running VINA WU's.

The chipset and pwm will need fans to keep them cool.

that is a really good price for the hardware, but the power bill is not worth it. IMO
I find with DC it always comes back to points/watt and not initial investment cost. (at least for me)
I am in the process to switching to E5 V3 Xeons.

I have some items for sale that might interest you.
4 coolermaster hyper212+ that have been musky modded
4 complete musky mods for the hyper 212 (mod only, not HSF)
32 x 2GB DDR3 1333 sticks of ram for this mobo.
Supermicro 4p G34 1U barebones server.
FS thread here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1888245

PM me if interested.
Well, 250W for 12K PPD isn't bad. Certainly not the amazing efficiency I'm getting from the E5 V3 systems, but pretty OK. And I figure 12k PPD for <$100 buys a lot of electricity over the lifetime ;)

I don't see these boards listed as compatible with tear's oc bios. Can I assume that won't work? If not, what version of tpc is used to oc and what commands?

I don't suppose anyone trustworthy on here would have the ability to buy one or two of these boards for me and ship it to Aus? I have a couple of big server cases, PSU's, plenty of ram and 4x 6172's doing nothing so this might be a good spot for them.

Back