Winamp Has New Owner, May Relaunch Again

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Do any of you even still use Winamp? I feel like there’s so many other alternatives, like foobar or MusicBee.

Vivendi Group, which owns or is involved in famous companies such as Dailymotion, Ubisoft, and Deezer, could help relaunch Winamp, although the press release announcing the acquisition offers no suggestion in this regard. The company, however, does mention Winamp and Shoutcast as two of the most important assets that will join its portfolio following the takeover.

I always liked winamp because of its low resource usage and high compatibility with most formats. These days almost every audio program support nearly every format and with computers running 8gb+ of ram the memory usage is really no longer a factor.

If it was still the best it would be the most popular still. Just doesn't cut the cheese anymore.

Yeah, I don't see a need for this anymore. Kind of like trying to bring back RealPlayer. Had its use way back in the day, now every other audio software does the same thing.

Yes i still use winamp as my audio player is most of my machines... been using it since i can remember because it's very light, opens very quickly and has some nice plugins available.

I'm tempted to try it out again but I really have no reason to go back after switching to Foobar about a decade ago.

Another vote for Winamp with MMD3 skin. Scales well at 200% dpi and light weight if you don't install all the other crap with it. All I need is something that plays flac files with big controls and a playlist menu.

I also use winamp, both at work and at home. Low resource usage, always works, doesn't require Internet access or report my usage, and will manage my classic ipods without the need for itunes. I've had no reason to use something else, really.

I mainly use Foobar because I dig the surround sound plugins, but it's kind of clunky. The fact that it still has a "2000" at the end is pretty telling of when the UI was thought up.
There are dozens if not hundreds of MP3 players with library functions (even WMP works fine for that), so WinAmp probably isn't needed any longer.
As much as I *hate* the program, I have a feeling most people are sadly using iTunes.

I used to use Winamp with an Alpine skin since it looked like my car radio at the time.

No use for winamp anymore, not now I sub to Spotify and play music through sonos its no longer installed on my machine, and my mp3 collection if it was a physical thing would have a thick layer of dust.

Winamp 2.0 skin, small mode, playlist.
First thing I install on any new build after drivers.

Wow Winamp! Last time I used it I was on dial-up back in 2003.
"Brrrrr....piiinnnggg...waaaaa..."

Oh man. Its been a while since I used winamp. Last time I recall using it was in 2008. Used the DJ function for my clan's BF2 TeamSpeak room.

Because it really whips the llamas ass!!! No other player has ever been able to replace it for me. Plugins for DSP, the milkdrop visualization is still amazing to watch and can go across all 3 of my monitors for eyefinity music amazment! Not to mention a ton of obscure plugins for it for playing music from old game roms from TurboGraphix 16 to Snes and Playstation 1, coupled with some of the still amazing DSP plugins, you can make anything sound great. Oh and the organization of the music library is still amazing, with custom library filters that are easy to setup and sort through all your crap. The built in format converter and labeling system there is SO MUCH it can do, all the other players pale in comparison honestly. If you haven't used it in a long time, you should give it a try again.

I have tried Foobar, Kmplayer, itunes, windows media center, VLC, windows media player, they have some strong points, and I do like windows media or VLC for movies, but for audio, they all suck next to winamp.

I have tried Foobar.....they all suck next to winamp.

Foobar2000 has a really steep learning curve to it. I think anyone that recommends it, has probably been using it for several years or more and doesn't realize how adapted they are to it.

While I use iTunes for managing and playback, Foobar2000 is my go to "utility" music player. I get everything ready and standardized there first before going to iTunes. But setting it up is a bear.

Because it really whips the llamas ass!!! No other player has ever been able to replace it for me. Plugins for DSP, the milkdrop visualization is still amazing to watch and can go across all 3 of my monitors for eyefinity music amazment! Not to mention a ton of obscure plugins for it for playing music from old game roms from TurboGraphix 16 to Snes and Playstation 1, coupled with some of the still amazing DSP plugins, you can make anything sound great. Oh and the organization of the music library is still amazing, with custom library filters that are easy to setup and sort through all your crap. The built in format converter and labeling system there is SO MUCH it can do, all the other players pale in comparison honestly. If you haven't used it in a long time, you should give it a try again.

Winamp to this day has the most audio plugins and for anything you can possibly think of. Plus built-in ripping and format converting. Winamp was perfect years ago, all I see today is new players with less features.

Do any of you even still use Winamp? I feel like there’s so many other alternatives, like foobar or MusicBee.

Vivendi Group, which owns or is involved in famous companies such as Dailymotion, Ubisoft, and Deezer, could help relaunch Winamp, although the press release announcing the acquisition offers no suggestion in this regard. The company, however, does mention Winamp and Shoutcast as two of the most important assets that will join its portfolio following the takeover.

Sometimes 2.92 or 2.95 is what I've used for years. Simple and small.

Back when I did mp3s, Winamp's decoder was superior to anything else. And now that I do FLAC--I still use Winamp.

I use version 276 because it is the only free windows player that supports the MP3Pro format with a Thomson plugin no one else supports it to my knowledge at least not for free. I use with my win 8 Acer w4 820 tablet to bluetooth to my Tacoma, Plus I save a crapload on disc space with Mp3pro format Also have over 60000 Mp3;pro files.

Been whooping llama asses since 1999 on my machines. Now I just need napster again and I'll be all set to relive my college days

Still using winamp for the global hotkeys support. Being able to pause, switch tracks and adjust volume without having to switch to the program is great.

I realize there's keyboard that have this kind of feature built in but the implementation and layout isn't standardized by any means.

It's hard for us to go back to Winamp after so long. I went to camp Foobar and haven't looked back. It'll take a lot for me to get back to Winamp as I don't really want to whip the llama's ass by 2015.

Back