Target Developing Mobile Wallet

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
As a Target fanboy who has really taken a liking to their mobile apps, I’ll be following this with some interest, although NFC strikes me as being more practical than scanned codes.

Target does not accept any type of mobile wallet in stores, but takes Apple Pay in its mobile application. The Minneapolis-based retailer is planning to integrate its wallet into its existing mobile application and does not intend to employ the wireless near-field communication technology used by the likes of Apple Pay and Android Pay, one of the sources added. It is leaning toward using QR code technology, used by Starbucks Corp and Wal-Mart, which allows customers to scan a code at the payment terminal, the sources said.

I couldn't begin to trust anything Target does itself since the breach. Other smarter people have come up with ideas that work and are secure. Use those Target.

Target spends about $1,000,000 per day in transaction fees. This is why they push the red card. The red card debit is nice because it is chip and pin only.

Just what we need..yet another digital wallet choice in a sea of digital wallets.

Target spends about $1,000,000 per day in transaction fees. This is why they push the red card. The red card debit is nice because it is chip and pin only.

Don't you mean credit card?
I didn't know that any stores where offering a debit card.

I only use credit cards when I shop (and I use the red card since they give me 5% off)
The only time I ever use a debit card is at the bank's ATM.

Uhug, not another one... I'll be glad once the card wars get sorted out and finally over with.

Like every other format war everyone is trying to have their own. It really needs to be one or two payment systems that everyone uses so it can be focused on for security and standardization. There's no way in hell I would trust Target to manage a mobile payment system like this.

Uhug, not another one... I'll be glad once the card wars get sorted out and finally over with.

The war was over before it began. Mobile wallets are extremely foolish from a security and convenience stand point. It won't be long before this stupid fad dies off as well.

Back