Intel Xeon E3 1245 v5 Linux Benchmarks

HardOCP News

[H] News
The alternative OS gurus over at Phoronix have just posted some Intel Xeon E3 1245 v5 Linux benchmarks. Here's a quote from the full review:

The Xeon E3 1245 v5 is a quad-core processor with Hyper Threading to yield eight threads. The base frequency of this newly-launched CPU is 3.5GHz with a turbo frequency of 3.9GHz. This 80 Watt TDP processor also features Intel HD Graphics P530, has an 8MB cache, and supports the other features common to Intel's Skylake processors. This processor sells for just over $300 USD.

Last edited:
What?! They require a motherboard with C232/C236 chipset? Thats ridiculous, I wonder why they made that move?

What?! They require a motherboard with C232/C236 chipset? Thats ridiculous, I wonder why they made that move?

I dunno, the spec sheet reads like an i7 6700. If the only real difference is ECC, I can see the lock-down.

Oh, and the 6700 is rated for 15w less. Not sure how much that difference would be in a real-world test however.

Target prices seem to be within 20 bucks of each other too. That removes the old "value" Xeon with 8 threads and 40 bucks off the i7.

Blame the integrated graphics for bumping up the price?

I dunno, the spec sheet reads like an i7 6700. If the only real difference is ECC, I can see the lock-down.

Oh, and the 6700 is rated for 15w less. Not sure how much that difference would be in a real-world test however.

Target prices seem to be within 20 bucks of each other too. That removes the old "value" Xeon with 8 threads and 40 bucks off the i7.

Blame the integrated graphics for bumping up the price?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact you can overclock using the BLK now... just a thought

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact you can overclock using the BLK now... just a thought

Doubt it.

Seriously, show me one item on the spec sheet that's different besides ECC from a Core i7 6700.

Because if you don't care about ECC you can use any old 1151 processor to power your server! Including he Core i7 6700 that has EXACTLY THE SAME SPEC.

You won't buy this processor if you won't give it a proper home on a C-series motherboard, because ECC. You're just bitching because they got rid of the discount 8 thread option.

Back