Secret Hashtags Help Teens Share Dangerous Habits

HardOCP News

[H] News
Would you look at that, teenagers are using secret hashtags to hide their activities from their parents. Say it isn't so! All joking aside, I'm not sure how effective a secret hashtag is with a name like "SecretSociety123."

When it comes to what’s known as non-suicidal self-injury – cutting, burning and scratching done with damage rather than death in mind – teens can be quite crafty at deploying hashtags that mask their activities, evade content safeguards and advisory warnings, and make it much harder for parents to monitor their virtual lives.

Shouldn't secret hashtags be counter-intuitive and less obvious than "#selfharmmm"?
I've never used hashtags so I guess I may not understand them or their userbase.

The broad term #cat, which refers to cutting, had more than 44 million search results in 2014 and more than 56 million in 2015, the study team reports in the Journal of Adolescent Health.

So how many of those millions were, you know, looking for cats?

Still, the results show that parents can’t rely on social media sites to provide safe places for their kids, and highlight the need for parents to be proactive in communicating with children about their online experiences, Moreno said.

Wait, parents actually have to parent instead of leaving it to social media? Shocking.

But all they'd need to do is click that hashtag in the post, how is that secret?

Wait, so you mean to tell me that Robert Plant WASN'T talking about having indescribable amounts of love for a lady? That it was somehow a codeword for SEX?

MIND. BLOWN. :eek:

the results show that parents can’t rely on social media sites to provide safe places for their kids

I need to get in on these studies, apparently there's funding available to figure out obvious stuff. I propose we write a proposal for one of the following:

1) An environmental study to determine whether regions with high humidity have less water shortages.

or

2) Research into tiny helmets for birds to help prevent casualties during bird strikes on aircraft.

Back