Played Quake Lately? - [H]ardOCP

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Played Quake Lately? - Yes, I said Quake....you know the 3D Shooter game? With many of us having a few spare moments over the next couple of holiday weeks, this might be something to tickle your gamer fancy if you need a break from Fallout 4. The good thing is that Quake is pretty cheap (you likely already own it) and you can get a new visual experience for free.

Last edited:
Its funny you mention this. I just finished playing that on Nightmare about 2 weeks ago. Quake is my favourite franchise of all time.

Man that looks awesome!
I remember first getting into modding with Q1. The day I figured out the func_door changed my life.
Think I'll have to get this installed and get down with some old-school deathmatch!

Its funny you mention this. I just finished playing that on Nightmare about 2 weeks ago. Quake is my favourite franchise of all time.

Yeah, I have been playing on normal difficulty today, and it is not that hard at all. Need to go nightmare tomorrow.

I've been playing the original DOOM. Had a hard time trying to remember all the secrets. I was going to install Quake after I finish DOOM.

The best game ever, updated again? It's been a few years, I'm ready to dive back in!

(timedemo demo2 is still the first thing I do on a new build, yes I know its a useless thing and the worst way to measure anything)

I think I've only really played one Quake game. It came with one of my graphics cards, but I don't remember which one... I think it was the 7800GT. It came with Quake 4, now that I looked it up online. That was a fun game. I think I beat it, but I was probably only playing on Easy.

I've been generally more on the Wolfenstein side of things though. I really enjoyed playing RTCW on my Xbox, and I played it on PC as well, before playing Wolfenstein ET for years and years (off and on). I wish Wolfenstein ET would get an infusion of new players, because it really was a great MP experience. With the flexible modding system, it also had almost unlimited amounts of levels and objectives. I'm just sad the community died out like it did.

holy crap!!! Please tell me we will finally to get see the conclusion to the Ranger Gone Bad series :D

Last edited:
Ah Quake...had an Intel 386sx33 atthe time it came out, virtual slideshow..got a 486dx-2 66, couldn't stop playing it!

Quake is one of those games that I fire-up on occasion to relive the good memories. Now that I'm aware of mods, Quake will be played a lot more in the coming weeks.

I played through Doom3 and the expansion about 2 months ago.

I likewise found a really nice HD pack searching on line that made the game
look fabulous. The guy even had some weapons and other mods that made nice improvements to the gameplay.:D

Interesting, had no idea the game is still being modded. I hope Quake goes on sale on Steam next week so I could try this out :cool:

Thanks Kyle for writing up about this mod.

Ah Quake...had an Intel 386sx33 at the time it came out, virtual slideshow..got a 486dx-2 66, couldn't stop playing it!

You upgraded from a 386 to a 486 3 years after the pentium got released ?

I think you are confusing quake with doom

I played through Doom3 and the expansion about 2 months ago.

I likewise found a really nice HD pack searching on line that made the game
look fabulous. The guy even had some weapons and other mods that made nice improvements to the gameplay.:D

linky please?

Interesting, had no idea the game is still being modded. I hope Quake goes on sale on Steam next week so I could try this out :cool:

Thanks Kyle for writing up about this mod.

You are welcome. I had no intention of writing this article, but I finished editing a review about 4am and I was sitting here and fired up Quake and started looking around and could not believe how spectacular Quake HD Remix looked and played....had to share with my comrades. :) I still think the gameplay excels beyond a lot of games I play from today.

I recall a few years ago I used a mod pack that pretty much updated everything from models to textures and incorporated shaders, bump mapping and other effects.

I can't remember the name or where I got it. But at least the models looked a lot better than the pics Kyle posted.

I recall a few years ago I used a mod pack that pretty much updated everything from models to textures and incorporated shaders, bump mapping and other effects.

I can't remember the name or where I got it. But at least the models looked a lot better than the pics Kyle posted.

If you are going to post like this, you had better come up with some links for the rest of us.

I still have my original Quake CD when I bought it back in late 1997. I'm going to spend the $2.50 - $5.00 when it goes on sale and add it to my Steam library. Looking forward to trying out the HD Remix - thanks, Kyle!

I was a diehard Commodore Amiga user, always hoping for that resurgence that never came. I spent way more than I should have on one of the last A4000T's before they were gone, added a Picasso 4 video card, and for an Amiga, I had an amazing machine. Dedicated gurus were helping to keep the platform alive by taking the Linux ports of iD games and getting them running on Amiga. I played Doom, Doom II, and Quake on that thing (though Quake really stretched it performance-wise). I may have even tried Quake II, not sure.

Then I got an IT job (ironically, because the IT director at my work was impressed by all my efforts to mod and maintain my Amiga) and had to let PCs into my life. Started out with a laptop because I didn't yet understand things like upgradability and discrete 3D graphics acceleration.

I broke down and built my first tower PC after getting frustrated with laptop gaming. For the build, one of my new IT co-workers gave me a basic little ATi Rage 2 card he had sitting around. I got a cheap copy of Quake 2 and fired it up. Huh--ran nice on my new machine, but the graphics didn't seem all that special over Quake on my Amiga. Where was all this advanced gaming I had been hearing about?

Hmmm, what's this option in the graphics settings do? Something about hardware rendering? Let's see... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!

Once I had recovered enough from my super-orgasm over seeing real-time 3D rendering and shading for the first time, I also noticed how much incredibly faster and smoother the game ran. Instead of trying to decide if I would run at 640x480 or 800x600 (800x600 would bog down in software rendering, but 640x480 was so chunky that it was hard to see what you were doing), I was loving life at 1024x768.

Watershed moment that all this Quake talk brought back. Just had to share... :D

Best fps of all time, Unreal follows closely. Waiting for Quake 5, though not sure if that will ever happen or how it'll turn out with ID disseminated.

He (Nick) should do this to Quake 2 (unless it's already been done a few years back iirc?)

Last edited:
Best fps of all time, Unreal follows closely. Waiting for Quake 5, though not sure if that will ever happen or how it'll turn out with ID disseminated.

He (Nick) should do this to Quake 2 (unless it's already been done a few years back iirc?)

iD didn't make Quake 4 either.

A quick Google search will give you the engines you are referring to. Dark places and FuhQuake come to mind.

I was a diehard Commodore Amiga user, always hoping for that resurgence that never came. I spent way more than I should have on one of the last A4000T's before they were gone, added a Picasso 4 video card, and for an Amiga, I had an amazing machine. Dedicated gurus were helping to keep the platform alive by taking the Linux ports of iD games and getting them running on Amiga. I played Doom, Doom II, and Quake on that thing (though Quake really stretched it performance-wise). I may have even tried Quake II, not sure.

Then I got an IT job (ironically, because the IT director at my work was impressed by all my efforts to mod and maintain my Amiga) and had to let PCs into my life. Started out with a laptop because I didn't yet understand things like upgradability and discrete 3D graphics acceleration.

I broke down and built my first tower PC after getting frustrated with laptop gaming. For the build, one of my new IT co-workers gave me a basic little ATi Rage 2 card he had sitting around. I got a cheap copy of Quake 2 and fired it up. Huh--ran nice on my new machine, but the graphics didn't seem all that special over Quake on my Amiga. Where was all this advanced gaming I had been hearing about?

Hmmm, what's this option in the graphics settings do? Something about hardware rendering? Let's see... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!

Once I had recovered enough from my super-orgasm over seeing real-time 3D rendering and shading for the first time, I also noticed how much incredibly faster and smoother the game ran. Instead of trying to decide if I would run at 640x480 or 800x600 (800x600 would bog down in software rendering, but 640x480 was so chunky that it was hard to see what you were doing), I was loving life at 1024x768.

Watershed moment that all this Quake talk brought back. Just had to share... :D

It's funny how all of us die hards remember getting hard seeing the transition from software to hardware in gaming (like GLquake) yet the guys today all take it for granted with everything including their cell phones doing hardware. I'm glad I lived it though.

You upgraded from a 386 to a 486 3 years after the pentium got released ?

I think you are confusing quake with doom

Yar,I seem to recall my old 486 dx-66 not being able to run Quake well at all. It ran a good game of Doom 2, but Quake was too much for it. Poor Seymour was stuck playing through Quake on a Sega Saturn, not a terrible experience but certainly not ideal.

I still have Q1 installed from CD, all modded up with various things. I just want to clarify before I download 4.5 gig.. I can still use this mod in a normal install right? Or does it have to be the Steam version to work? I started the download, but got leery after reading the part about custom resolutions.
Thanks for a fresh breath of Quake Kyle! :D

Yar,I seem to recall my old 486 dx-66 not being able to run Quake well at all. It ran a good game of Doom 2, but Quake was too much for it. Poor Seymour was stuck playing through Quake on a Sega Saturn, not a terrible experience but certainly not ideal.

Quake on saturn was probably the equiv of playing on a 386. The multiple cpus in the saturn never really got effectively used back then, causing programming issues. FPU in cpu's was coming of age and MMX was trying to crack through around when Quake came, so if the game ran on a 486, it'd run pretty bad. Saturn probably ran around 320x240 or so depending on game, which is why it could pull off a muddy 25-30 fps iirc.

I just realized the steam version DOES NOT include the NIN soundtrack!!

That is, just the worst for you guys that don't still have your retail copies and it's especially horrible for the youngblood's who've never played it before....

Back