The Biggest Video Game Disappointments Of 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
This list of the biggest video game disappointments of 2015 is pretty good but there is a lot of stuff they missed. What was your biggest video game disappointment of the year?

We’ve never seen anything like it: Rocksteady and Warner Bros. released Batman: Arkham Knight on PC and the port was so totally f*cked that they actually stopped selling it and took it back to the shop for improvements. This was a loser across the board—a good game was totally hobbled by seemingly foreseeable performance problems, and the experience no doubt soured the ambitious, impressive Arkham Knight for a lot of PC users.

no zelda, no star fox for wii u... nintendo wii u did so badly that wasnt even worth being mentioned.

Agree with Batman for PC being on that list.

But Fallout 4? That is just stupid, typical kotaku BS. By all accounts Fallout 4 is a good game. Just because it isn't the glorious best game of all time doesn't make it qualify as worst disappointment of 2015.

But Fallout 4? That is just stupid, typical kotaku BS. By all accounts Fallout 4 is a good game. Just because it isn't the glorious best game of all time doesn't make it qualify as worst disappointment of 2015.

Yeah Fallout 4 is GOTY contender regardless of some of the overblown bugs. Seems Kotaku is trying to be hip and edgy, kinda like how Destructoid will give a game a 5 out of 10 to get everyone talking about how edgy they are. Rebel rebel.

Arkham Knight was the big disappointment for me. Loved the first two games (tolerated Origins), but it was such a letdown that the PC port was released in the state it was. Eventually will play the game on PS4.

Arkham Knight was the big disappointment for me. Loved the first two games (tolerated Origins), but it was such a letdown that the PC port was released in the state it was. Eventually will play the game on PS4.

I'm not defending the PC version's bullshit issues. With that said if you've got a good machine you can still get a solid experience out of it.

Fallout 4 is a dated, lazy game. The only good thing about it is it's exceptionally well made geography and open world exploration. Every other major game mechanic pretty much starts falling apart at about level 20 and is broken by level 50. The animation quality is mostly atrocious and the overall texture and model work leaves a lot to be desired. If it had a reasonably interesting story that would all be mostly forgivable but as is par for the course for Bethesda, they couldn't write their way out of a soggy paper bag. If it weren't for the mods it would barely be worth buying.

I pretty much agree with the whole list and It really is a shame about Arkham Knight's PC technical issues because it's a great game.

Fallout 4 is a dated, lazy game. The only good thing about it is it's exceptionally well made geography and open world exploration. Every other major game mechanic pretty much starts falling apart at about level 20 and is broken by level 50. The animation quality is mostly atrocious and the overall texture and model work leaves a lot to be desired. If it had a reasonably interesting story that would all be mostly forgivable but as is par for the course for Bethesda, they couldn't write their way out of a soggy paper bag. If it weren't for the mods it would barely be worth buying.

I pretty much agree with the whole list and It really is a shame about Arkham Knight's PC technical issues because it's a great game.

Yeahhhh.... that's stretching it quite a bit there but we are entitled to our opinions. With that said, looking forward to your next big game release :D.

I'd have to agree with Fallout 4. It is one of my favorite games of the year. Yet at the same time I'm seriously disappointed and annoyed with parts of the game design.

FO4 is still a damn fun game though even if it isn't leaps above FO3/NV which is totally fine with me.

Yeah Fallout 4 is GOTY contender regardless of some of the overblown bugs. Seems Kotaku is trying to be hip and edgy, kinda like how Destructoid will give a game a 5 out of 10 to get everyone talking about how edgy they are. Rebel rebel.

No, it's not.

When compared to all the other fantastic RPG's that came out this year (Ahem : Witcher 3) Fallout feels like an empty shell sandbox with a mediocre story.

No, it's not.

When compared to all the other fantastic RPG's that came out this year (Ahem : Witcher 3) Fallout feels like an empty shell sandbox with a mediocre story.

I do like playing FO4 but do have to agree, it doesn't just pull me into the game like witcher 3 for instance. Still worth the money to buy but certainly not a god-send of a game in my eyes.

Hey look opinions!

Well Witcher 3's story of some girl who keeps running away while I do errands for people bored me to the point that I quit before I even found her. People keep talking about this incredible story but in my opinion it's all been done before. Yes it's hard to make something original today but it's honestly so boring that I just couldn't continue. The bad movement controls and terrible interface didn't help.

Fallout 4 was pure brain dead fun, I blew stuff up, I had awesome quicktime moments, I built cool bases and I built crazy looking guns. The combat and movement was responsive and the game ran and looked great. Though the story was basic it was simple to follow and had a great reveal. I liked everything about Fallout 4 and beat it within the first month after putting 48 hours into it. And now I am on my second playthrough.

Still haven't finished Witcher 3

Hey look opinions!

Well Witcher 3's story of some girl who keeps running away while I do errands for people bored me to the point that I quit before I even found her. People keep talking about this incredible story but in my opinion it's all been done before. Yes it's hard to make something original today but it's honestly so boring that I just couldn't continue. The bad movement controls and terrible interface didn't help.

Are you only doing the main quest? Because Fallout 4 main quest isn't much to write home about either and that’s all it sounds like you did in Witcher 3. Witcher 3 really shines doing side quests. The simplest random quest can have the craziest twist.

FYI...Movement was improved many patches ago.

Are you only doing the main quest? Because Fallout 4 main quest isn't much to write home about either and that’s all it sounds like you did in Witcher 3. Witcher 3 really shines doing side quests. The simplest random quest can have the craziest twist.

FYI...Movement was improved many patches ago.

The only fantasy games I could finish were Zelda games. I don't think I care for most fantasy RPGs unless they give me more freedom to do things outside the norm. Which is why I liked Skyrim and Oblivion so much even though I never beat the main story, I just didn't care for the plot.

Does the main character (Geralt) still talk in that constant grinding monotone? It was like he had one sound 24/7/365. If he said "Happy Birthday" or "I'm going to kill you" they would sound the same

Does the main character (Geralt) still talk in that constant grinding monotone? It was like he had one sound 24/7/365. If he said "Happy Birthday" or "I'm going to kill you" they would sound the same

I actually enjoyed that aspect. Reminded me of Pam from the trueblood show "you must not know me very well. My happy face and my mad face are the same"

He speaks like that because its canon. He is a mutant whos emotions are heavily suppressed, almost to a point of being stripped away, so he could be effective monster and demon hunter (fear has no control for example). They even joke about this during one quest where he is asked to perform in a play, to which Geralt responds that if they didnt notice he is not exactly high on emotional expression. :D

If you cant stand it then fine. Just dont mistake it for bad voice acting because the actor does his job really, really well. Especially when Geralt gets sarcastic.

He speaks like that because its canon. He is a mutant whos emotions are heavily suppressed, almost to a point of being stripped away, so he could be effective monster and demon hunter (fear has no control for example). They even joke about this during one quest where he is asked to perform in a play, to which Geralt responds that if they didnt notice he is not exactly high on emotional expression. :D

If you cant stand it then fine. Just dont mistake it for bad voice acting because the actor does his job really, really well. Especially when Geralt gets sarcastic.

As interesting as it sounds, it just doesn't work well in a game that's supposed to immerse you in a world where you play a guy with the emotional range of a tree stump. It makes all my choices feel the same when he barely shows interest in anyone unless he's boning them.

Not going to lie, the male protagonist in F4 is basically the same way, the voice actor showed almost no range but the female is spot on and definitely worth playing as.

As interesting as it sounds, it just doesn't work well in a game that's supposed to immerse you in a world where you play a guy with the emotional range of a tree stump. It makes all my choices feel the same when he barely shows interest in anyone unless he's boning them.

Not going to lie, the male protagonist in F4 is basically the same way, the voice actor showed almost no range but the female is spot on and definitely worth playing as.

Fair point. Although i personally liked roleplaying this dry monster hunter for hire who also wanted to find his step-daughter who is (even if he has hard time expressing it beyond static words) very dear to him.

Actually f4 was pretty disappointing for me. Instead of a rpg with fps elements, we got a fps with RPG elements. The dialogue wheel is miserable. I haven't come across any skill (not speech) checks outside of an int check on the USS Constitution quest. Even then the option was use your int OR the fix materials that are in the fucking box next to the quest giver. It didn't alter the actual outcome one bit nor did having int save time (not having to track down the materials from all over the wasteland) or change the quest path.

No I didn't say it was bad acting. It was just very monotonous (if done well) in conjunction with the dry fetch quests. Witcher I & II were real grinds that way.

Actually f4 was pretty disappointing for me. Instead of a rpg with fps elements, we got a fps with RPG elements. The dialogue wheel is miserable. I haven't come across any skill (not speech) checks outside of an int check on the USS Constitution quest. Even then the option was use your int OR the fix materials that are in the fucking box next to the quest giver. It didn't alter the actual outcome one bit nor did having int save time (not having to track down the materials from all over the wasteland) or change the quest path.

Fallout 4 did feel very watered down in that regard but it was still an exciting and fun game. Metal Gear Solid V on the other hand had incredible content, exciting gameplay and a huge amount of freedom compared to previous ones. Unfortunately the story was damn near garbage and Snake was a mute.

I stopped playing Fallout 4 cause I got bored and started playing AC:Syndicate. Fallout 4 seemed amateurish.

Can't express emotions, yet fucks everything with a heartbeat.

Makes sense to me

Fallout 4 did feel very watered down in that regard but it was still an exciting and fun game. Metal Gear Solid V on the other hand had incredible content, exciting gameplay and a huge amount of freedom compared to previous ones. Unfortunately the story was damn near garbage and Snake was a mute.

There's an interesting article in Wired that claims Bethesda's smaller teams give games less polish and more bugs, but that these give the games a sort of hand-made charm missing from mega staffs (AC games).

"Players see the lack of polish in Fallout 4 as a separate issue from the game’s greatness, an issue that could be teased out and fixed. As a game developer with 15 years’ experience on teams large and small, I see something much different, and incredibly rare: A highly successful studio focused on sustaining a team and its games through slow growth, reasonable team sizes, strong company culture, and creative fulfillment.

While the rest of the AAA game industry has ballooned team sizes and budgets in a dogged pursuit of slickness and sales, Bethesda has remained small, lean, and, yes, sloppy. It may be impossible to make the games Bethesda makes while giving them a high level of polish, and trying to do so could destroy the studio..."

Fallout 4 Is Full of Bugs, But Fixing Them Could Ruin It
http://www.wired.com/2015/11/fallout-4-bugs/

One thing for sure is that the biggest disappointment of 2016 will be Star Citizen :)

I hate to hear people say that. Arkhangelsk knight is a fucking incredible game. Outstanding actually. Far better then the previous games which were great too. I'd highly recommend that you go play it on PS4 or whatever. Yeah it sucks they fumbled the PC port but it doesn't mean the game isn't fantastic, which again... You really need to get on it if you're a fan. Seriously. Go!

Nah, I agree with the article when it comes to fallout 4. Game is very much "phoned in" ala Bioshock 2.

The RPG aspect of the game is basically non existent compared to the last 2. Engine is dated, performance is poor on high end systems, 60+ fps systems have to be locked or game plays like street fighter 2 turbo edition, settlements are half ass thought out. Weapons and armor are bland...... that being said I am still playing it. But it really should have been alot better.

Batman actually ran well enough to play for me, but the fucking batmobile tank thing killed it for me.

Nah, I agree with the article when it comes to fallout 4. Game is very much "phoned in" ala Bioshock 2.

The RPG aspect of the game is basically non existent compared to the last 2. Engine is dated, performance is poor on high end systems, 60+ fps systems have to be locked or game plays like street fighter 2 turbo edition, settlements are half ass thought out. Weapons and armor are bland...... that being said I am still playing it. But it really should have been alot better.

Batman actually ran well enough to play for me, but the fucking batmobile tank thing killed it for me.

No. Fallout 4 is in the running for goty and is #6 on gamespot's top games list.
http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/top-25-games-of-2015/2900-430/

So, no, Fallout 4 does not belong on that list. The likely scenario is that Kotaku has a feud going with Bethesda like someone posted in this thread.

Back