The Ford GT Has A Gorilla Glass Hybrid Windshield

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ford and Corning announced today that the companies have teamed up to on a Gorilla Glass Hybrid windshield for the 2016 Ford GT. The rear engine cover will be made of the same material as well as the panel between passenger compartment and engine bay.

What started as a lightweight concept technology is about to become reality for Ford GT customers when the all-new supercar debuts the Corning® Gorilla® Glass© hybrid windshield – a tough, durable, scratch-resistant window that is about 30 percent lighter than traditional glass. Developed by Ford and Corning, Gorilla Glass hybrid window will be used on both the windshield and rear engine cover of Ford GT, contributing to enhanced vehicle handling, improved fuel efficiency and reduced risk of glass damage.

I wonder what the cost difference is between this hybrid and traditional windshields. I know if you are buying a Ford GT you probably aren't worrying about cost.

Damn, that is sweet. There is a guy in my building that has a 06 Ford GT. Thing is sick.

Not too worried about scratches on windshield.

More worried about pitting from very small debris. And yellowing, if diverging away from glass.

I wonder what the cost difference is between this hybrid and traditional windshields. I know if you are buying a Ford GT you probably aren't worrying about cost.
According to this article, $2-$4 extra per pound of weight saved while the hybrid glass itself is quoted to be 25-30% lighter than traditional glass. Using the upper limit and their example of a 20 lb. windshield at $20, you would get a Gorilla Glass Hybrid windshield weighing 15 lbs. at $40. Not much more expense for something like the Ford GT, but for something high volume that could be quite the investment on the manufacturer's part.

According to this article, $2-$4 extra per pound of weight saved while the hybrid glass itself is quoted to be 25-30% lighter than traditional glass. Using the upper limit and their example of a 20 lb. windshield at $20, you would get a Gorilla Glass Hybrid windshield weighing 15 lbs. at $40. Not much more expense for something like the Ford GT, but for something high volume that could be quite the investment on the manufacturer's part.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to upcharge for the $600 Clear Performance Package.

Apple will probably announce their new electric car will have a sapphire windshield, gotta use that sapphire that didn't make it into iphones. We invented Transparent Aluminum(oxide)!

hummm you can tap on gorrilla glass and have it fracture... but half the reason they use safety glass is that it is supposed to shatter into safe round or at least not sharp edges... resin and aluminum silica mix like window glass. tempered glass and lexan are other options but both are expensive and do not shatter into safe pieces...

aluminum is used in pretty much every type of glass... the element silica bonding to the aluminum is what makes it transparent...

70% - 74% SiO2 (silica) 12% - 16% Na2O (sodium oxide) 5% - 11% CaO (calcium oxide) 1% - 3% MgO (magnesium oxide) 1% - 3% Al2O3 (aluminium oxide)

Instead, use this tech on headlights instead. I hate those stupid plastic headlights

Imagine getting all the bubbles out of the windshield screen protectors..

Do people actually use those? I've never used one or a case on any of my three smart phones and have never had so much as a scratch on the screen.

Do people actually use those? I've never used one or a case on any of my three smart phones and have never had so much as a scratch on the screen.

anecdotal evidence, but my gf and i have the exact phones, galaxy S3s. she has no case, but a cheaply amazon-type screen protector. i have no screen protector, but i do have the OEM leather folding case.

from the same car, from the same scenario, getting out of the car with phone in lap, her phone has scratches and dents on the covering, but the screen is like new. actually shes dont it a few times. i did it once, and now ihave a nice spider crack on the bottom right corner.

If by any chance there's a sharp staple or just car keys in your pocket with the phone, scratches happen pretty easy. Regular (plastic) screen protectors don't feel or look right. Tempered glass screen protectors are pretty cool tho, not only is it a layer or portection, some would argue it feels better than the screen itself.

If by any chance there's a sharp staple or just car keys in your pocket with the phone, scratches happen pretty easy. Regular (plastic) screen protectors don't feel or look right. Tempered glass screen protectors are pretty cool tho, not only is it a layer or portection, some would argue it feels better than the screen itself.

IME, you're more likely to scratch the sides of an iPhone than the glass and i never use a screen protector.

Back