ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme Z170 Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme Z170 Motherboard Review - In the past ASUS’ Maximus motherboards represented the finest motherboards you could buy within their respective form factors. The Maximus VIII Impact wasn’t perfect but it managed to achieve the same level of greatness as its predecessors. Can the Maximus VIII Extreme do the same? Read on and find out.

Great review and glad to see a mention of the DCP latency issue. I have a question in regards to that. Have your contacts at Asus mentioned if they are going to resolve it and where you able to track down what part of the ai suite was causing the dpc latency. As Dan knows I tried removing pieces of the ai suite to resolve it on my Asus maximus board and finally gave up and uninstalled the whole suite along with Sonic studio.

This was a huge problem for me and thanks to Dan I knew where to look but while it resolved the problem it means I don't have access to the ai suite as I cant trust it.

Great review and glad to see a mention of the DCP latency issue. I have a question in regards to that. Have your contacts at Asus mentioned if they are going to resolve it and where you able to track down what part of the ai suite was causing the dpc latency. As Dan knows I tried removing pieces of the ai suite to resolve it on my Asus maximus board and finally gave up and uninstalled the whole suite along with Sonic studio.

This was a huge problem for me and thanks to Dan I knew where to look but while it resolved the problem it means I don't have access to the ai suite as I cant trust it.

From what I can tell both the mentioned utilities are throwing off DPC. Turn those off and you look to be golden. ASUS says both are being updated and fixed in relation to DPC, but I have not seen it first hand yet.

Thanks Kyle that was what I had to do, I was hoping you would have some insight but at least its nice to know they are trying to work on updating them. I have to wonder though how many people thought they had faulty boards due this issues as DPC latency isn't something your average pc builder is even aware of.

Speaking of DPC latency, you should try a Rampage IV Extreme and Windows 10 sometime.

The onboard NIC (Intel 82579V) has a nice spike every 3-5 seconds up to 5700 that Asus nor Intel want to fix it seems (ndis.sys)... so good luck on that ever getting resolved. I would be tempted to never buy one of these boards again for the drop of support they provide on even this line after they release the "next best model" ~_~

Interesting review.

As the review notes though, this thing costs like 60% more than an MSI Z170 XPower (at ~$300 or so USD) and this board is up to almost $500.

It will be next to impossible to justify the board from a price to performance POV. The Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 has at least a PLX PEX 8747, as does the Z170 SOC Force. I really struggle to justify the price.

Perhaps the price tag is acceptable for a top of the line HEDT board, but yeah, I get a case of sticker shock for a mainstream board.

For the price this thing out to have:
- Totally overkill VRMs
- A crazy PCB
- Something special like 12 layers of PCB (most only have 8 these days)

Bought the Maximus VIII Ranger. I'm hoping its just as solid as the other boards in the series.

Yet another ASUS board packed with crap most enthusiasts or gamers will not use or disable. I cant wait for al-carte mainboards where I get to pick the config and they print it up for me and have it to my doorstep in a day or two ;)

I was interested in getting this board once I sold off my z87, i7 4770k system. However, seeing issues with DCP latency, I would "defer" to other boards. Does anyone have a z170 recommendation?

"I’d like to see Thunderbolt 3.0 included on the Maximus VIII Extreme given the extreme price point."

Doesn't it have this?

"I’d like to see Thunderbolt 3.0 included on the Maximus VIII Extreme given the extreme price point."

Doesn't it have this?

No, it doesn't. The USB Type-C port requires certification from Intel in order to officially support Thunderbolt 3.0. The Maximus VIII Extreme lacks this.

No, it doesn't. The USB Type-C port requires certification from Intel in order to officially support Thunderbolt 3.0. The Maximus VIII Extreme lacks this.
Mine has a thunderbolt header that supports 6 devices.

Also, the navigation on the article page is messed up. Each page is duplicated in the drop down list.

Back