Text Me? Ping Me? Communications Overload In The Digital Age

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know most of you use a variety of messaging apps but are any of you as bad as this guy? Don't be shy, you are among friends here, it's okay to share. ;)

In all, on my phone right now, I have at least a dozen apps that allow me to get in touch with people. There’s standard text messaging; video messaging apps like Snapchat and FaceTime; work-related channels (Outlook, LinkedIn); dating apps (Tinder, OKCupid); and social networks (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) — and that’s before you get into the niche and even absurd, like GroupMe (messaging for groups) and Venmo (which is for paying people, but requires you to add a message with your payment). And, of course, there are dozens (hundreds!) more that I don’t use at all.

Not me, a variety yes, but there are entire categories I don't do.
Email, and old account and gmail.
SMS Text and Kakao Talk.
Linkedin

That's it.

Gmail and whatsapp/telegram.

Don't have a Twitter/Facebook et al

Not having a Facebook was a dealbreaker for an airline industry job I tried taking in 2010. Ridiculous.

Not for me email. If it can't be done over SMS or email, then I don't do it.

I worked for a company that paid Linkedin for their HR service so I had to create a Linkedin account, now it just generates spam.

So this guy purposely installs a bunch of apps, most of which are also websites, uses them, and then complains about it?

I have text and I have phone, that's about it. While I could technically do email, I turn that off because I do not want my emails on my phone, however I still have the ability to fire off an email if necessary, or more importantly check out a coupon code :D

Capture_2015_12_14_18_07_00.png

I gave up on email long ago. I can't remember the last time I actually responded to a message. It's just so much easier to call someone during my commute.

Capture_2015_12_14_18_07_00.png

I gave up on email long ago. I can't remember the last time I actually responded to a message. It's just so much easier to call someone during my commute.

For personal that's fine, for business that's suicide imo. I use email for tracking and aaccountability, I have no way to prove what we told me from a phone call but I can hold you to your shit with an email.

It's just going to get worse with the industry push for 'wearables' and ubiquitous computing. We need smarter devices that know enough not to interrupt us for trivial matters. Right now you have to enforce your own preferences, but in the future maybe they can leverage some AI to automate it more.

Phone calls for day to day business and when my friends and I need/want to have a real discussion.
Email for official communications as Ragenrok stated, proof of a conversation as people do not tend to stand behind their "word" as they used to.
Text for quick bits of information that do not require an entire conversation and are not time critical.
As for everything else, not a formal or official form of communication. If I say that I did not know about something because you did not tell me, and you said I posted it on Facebook, Snapchat, etc, I will respond back with, "again, you did not tell me".

I prefer e-mail. Phone calls are NEVER things you can prove so having stuff in writing is nice. My office uses this stupid Lync or whatever kind of chat IM thing that's literally straight out of the 1990s that a bunch of the older people like. I really get annoyed by it though. It's got to be the least efficient way of communicating. Like I'm _right there_ maybe twenty paces away at my desk and people insist on typing so as soon as they do, I stand up and walk over to their desk to talk to them. I can't wait until that generation of people retires so we can start doing face-to-face interaction instead of all these dumb tech-assisted things that they thought were sooo impressive when they were kids. Ugh.

Back