Angie’s List Defends Removing Negative Reviews

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thinking about becoming a member of Angie's List? You might want to head on over to Consumerist and read this article first. :eek:

If a company offers you a refund after you post a negative online review of your transaction, does that make your original comment any less valid? According to Angie Hicks of crowdsourced review site Angie’s List, once your dispute with a company is resolved, you should only be allowed to say nice things about the company.

Seems to be in working order to me... I mean, would you rather have your bad review not deleted or a refund? I'm down for the refund and the only way to get the contractor to do that would be for them to "untarnish" their name.

I disagree with Angie's List. Just because I got my money back, it doesn't mean I'm satisfied. They should add a supplement to the review and let the customer create an "average" rating based on their initial and final experiences. I do agree that a refund should equate to a better review, but not necessarily an A or a B rating. So if I gave them an F then received a refund, I should re-review the service which would give them an average rating of C or a D. I think that's fair.

I disagree with Angie's List. Just because I got my money back, it doesn't mean I'm satisfied. They should add a supplement to the review and let the customer create an "average" rating based on their initial and final experiences. I do agree that a refund should equate to a better review, but not necessarily an A or a B rating. So if I gave them an F then received a refund, I should re-review the service which would give them an average rating of C or a D. I think that's fair.

The original complaint needs to stand. If it's a bad review and the company gave a refund or whatever, then it should be marked as "resolved". Resolution to a problem doesn't mean that the problem never existed in the first place.

So, the whole selling point behind Angie's List was to give consumers a place to check out service businesses. I guess the worm has turned and Angie's list is owned by advertisers now.

Not to mention once people know they can do this they will probably start publishing fake critical reviews to get free service

Seems to be in working order to me... I mean, would you rather have your bad review not deleted or a refund? I'm down for the refund and the only way to get the contractor to do that would be for them to "untarnish" their name.

Unless you consider that the first thing you should never do is pay them until the work is done and if the work isn't done right then you don't pay until it is done right.

Refunds are for chumps.

The original complaint needs to stand. If it's a bad review and the company gave a refund or whatever, then it should be marked as "resolved". Resolution to a problem doesn't mean that the problem never existed in the first place.

Exactly that's why they supplement the review and not delete it completely.

Anyone know a better resource just to get a list of contractors in your area? Everyone just using Google?

Instead of deleting negative reviews, why not have a "situation resolved" moniker for users to apply to the negative reviews they wrote themselves about the provider/company once they get a refund.

^ Or like bomni said, let users re-review and re-grade after a settlement of resolution is finalized.

I've always viewed Angie's List as the WinZip of internet reviews.

Except even less likely to get my money.

Except that the main reason for being a member of the site is presumably to find local businesses that are accurately well reviewed, and the removal of negative reviews means that the aggregate of reviews is inaccurate.

The site is having its own members pay to get negative reviews removed; to put it another way, the members are actually paying to make the reviews less useful!

It's friggin' genius...and disgusting.

Anyone know a better resource just to get a list of contractors in your area? Everyone just using Google?

Word of mouth from locals. Can't trust nothin' you read on the Internets.

To be listed as a recommended service, contractors have to pay to be on the list.

Isnt this pretty similar to ebay? My understanding is you cant neg them if they refund you.

After thinking on this some more...

Angie's List assists a "premium subscriber" in getting a refund through the complaint resolution process and removes the bad review. As we all know, most people are more apt to leave negative ranting and complaining than they are to shit rainbows and sunshine all over the internet, especially when it comes to a product or service that used their own earned money to get.

Now...If there was a consistently shitty service provider that was always getting hammered on Angie's List and giving out refunds to almost every customer that's a "premium subscriber", then, well, they wouldn't be in business long because they are constantly giving back a lot of their operating revenue and profits earned for the time spent performing whatever they do. And if they weren't giving out refunds, then the negative reviews would stay, pile up for a very crappy aggregated rating, and no potential customers would seek them out. Besides, if a providers rating is "boosted" because they were able to refund the customer and get the bad rating removed, they still have to work their asses off to maintain (and increase) their rating as well as figure out if it was their fault and how to avoid making the same mistakes warranting refunds in the future.

BUT, If I'm a service provider/contractor that's listed on Angie's List with 99% of all my customer reviews being a mix of A and B (maybe even a few C) gradings because I do provide higher quality work, and then I get a couple D or F reviews every blue moon left by some of those Perpetually Unhappy Fuck Faces out there (we all know one or more in real life), then I should be able to dash those dumb-assed reviews after I give those PUFF's a refund...because in this case 1 bad apple can spoil the whole bunch and jeopardize my business as a source of success and well-being and all the hard work I've done to maintain a truthful positive customer reputation...and I'd be willing to pay back money to a couple PUFF's to maintain that truthful reputation.

I don't think it's off base at all for ratings removals via customer refunds to be happening, because I doubt that same customer will be contacting that same provider ever again afterwards.

Angie's List assists a "premium subscriber" in getting a refund through the complaint resolution process and removes the bad review. As we all know, most people are more apt to leave negative ranting and complaining than they are to shit rainbows and sunshine all over the internet, especially when it comes to a product or service that used their own earned money to get.

Now...If there was a consistently shitty service provider that was always getting hammered on Angie's List and giving out refunds to almost every customer that's a "premium subscriber", then, well, they wouldn't be in business long because they are constantly giving back a lot of their operating revenue and profits earned for the time spent performing whatever they do. And if they weren't giving out refunds, then the negative reviews would stay, pile up for a very crappy aggregated rating, and no potential customers would seek them out. Besides, if a providers rating is "boosted" because they were able to refund the customer and get the bad rating removed, they still have to work their asses off to maintain (and increase) their rating as well as figure out if it was their fault and how to avoid making the same mistakes warranting refunds in the future.

BUT, If I'm a service provider/contractor that's listed on Angie's List with 99% of all my customer reviews being a mix of A and B (maybe even a few C) gradings because I do provide higher quality work, and then I get a couple D or F reviews every blue moon left by some of those Perpetually Unhappy Fuck Faces out there (we all know one or more in real life), then I should be able to dash those dumb-assed reviews after I give those PUFF's a refund...because in this case 1 bad apple can spoil the whole bunch and jeopardize my business as a source of success and well-being and all the hard work I've done to maintain a truthful positive customer reputation...and I'd be willing to pay back money to a couple PUFF's to maintain that truthful reputation.

I don't think it's off base at all for ratings removals via customer refunds to be happening, because I doubt that same customer will be contacting that same provider ever again afterwards.
If only there was some way to attach a comment to review saying that "This customer received a full refund." :rolleyes:

Seriously, if someone is constantly adding negative reviews just because they're bitter about a one-time experience for which they ended up losing nothing, that's an entirely different problem where the acceptable solution would be deleting the subsequent reviews. Deleting a single, honest negative review based on a refund is a scam that deprives subsequent potential customers of accurate information.

But as an Angie's List customer, you pay for access to honest reviews of service providers. If you don't give these people the entire story then your not doing what they are paying you to do.

It really isn't any harder then this.

It's a point of view thing. Angie's List was supposed to be a service for customers, not an advertising agency for businesses. That was how Angie's List billed itself to the little guy.

But the reality is that Angies List is playing both ends against the middle and it seems they only value their own bottom line.

If only there was some way to attach a comment to review saying that "This customer received a full refund." :rolleyes:

Seriously, if someone is constantly adding negative reviews just because they're bitter about a one-time experience for which they ended up losing nothing, that's an entirely different problem where the acceptable solution would be deleting the subsequent reviews. Deleting a single, honest negative review based on a refund is a scam that deprives subsequent potential customers of accurate information.

But as an Angie's List customer, you pay for access to honest reviews of service providers. If you don't give these people the entire story then your not doing what they are paying you to do.

It really isn't any harder then this.

Read my post again...I addressed that in my paragraph beginning with "Now...".

For habitually bad performers, the bad reviews from non-"premium members" (probably a majority of Angie's List users) and "premium members" that didn't utilize the Complaint Resolution Process stay right where they are. No refund. No removal. And now no customers...

What credibility did "Angie’s List" even have? It's a user-generated rating website (one of many) that charges it's users (suckers) for access. You'd have to be soft in the head.

Read my post again...I addressed that in my paragraph beginning with "Now...".

For habitually bad performers, the bad reviews from non-"premium members" (probably a majority of Angie's List users) and "premium members" that didn't utilize the Complaint Resolution Process stay right where they are. No refund. No removal. And now no customers...

I feel like i see things like this on amazon. I like to click on the person and see what they review, often i find they review negative to almost everything they buy.

I think reviews should be allowed to be contested. I don't know how many times I see a review with 1 star because the item didn't work on arrival (which could even be fault of the shipping service) but then the company next day'd a working product to which the customer was satisfied. I see the point of stating what happened, but that 1 star still brings the overall down. And when a majority of people just look at the overall rating instead of investigating, this can hurt a business.

I know what school Angie went to. The one where everybody gets a trophy because there are no losers. :D

I questioned angies list being honest from the start. Now I feel justified in thinking that.

Reseller Ratings does a little bit of this.

You got less than you bargained, you write a negative review.

The business has a chance to respond and then you, the reviewer can amend your review, BUT the stain still remains.

This deal with Angie's List is deceptive to a point.

I get the part about, if you got a refund through their service, you're satisfied; but the simple fact still remains, the overall experience AND the only reason Angie's list exists, was a bust.

Their service is a sham, based on the Consumerist article.
The fee you pay to subscribe essentially entitles you to preference for a refund or some kind of resolution with their "clients" or advertisers, and also insures the clients there will never be a negative review on their site about them.

It's total bullshit.
You should let negative reviews stand and be able to amend the review if you worked something out.

You shouldn't be allowed to spit polish a turd.

Angie's List has never been about the consumer. You can buy your status and ratings.

Source: Buddy who has an AC company and does it.

I feel like i see things like this on amazon. I like to click on the person and see what they review, often i find they review negative to almost everything they buy.

I think reviews should be allowed to be contested. I don't know how many times I see a review with 1 star because the item didn't work on arrival (which could even be fault of the shipping service) but then the company next day'd a working product to which the customer was satisfied. I see the point of stating what happened, but that 1 star still brings the overall down. And when a majority of people just look at the overall rating instead of investigating, this can hurt a business.

You figured it out.

Why can't everyone else?

You figured it out.

Why can't everyone else?
Being able to "contest" a review is fine. The people/companies being reviewed should be able to comment on their negative reviews in an effort to clarify what happened and perhaps apologize for the customer's poor experience. What shouldn't happen is whitewashing review sites into "if you can't say anything nice..." situations.

The review or at least the score should stay even if the company refunds the money. Refunding the money is great and a step toward good customer service but I'd still want to know if someone had a bad experience.

I disagree.

For Angie's Place to be a valuable service it needs to be free from the service provider manipulation. As it is, Angie's Place takes cash from both sides and plays a shell game with the reviews to keep the cash coming from both sides.

If I read a negative review from someone who had unrealistic ideas of what they were buying etc, I can figure that out all on my own. And it doesn't even require input from the business involved. See, I am not taking my car to a shop that screws up cars and then offers refunds to make ammends cause I don't want my car screwed up. I don't care what the company is doing "to make it right", it never should have been wrong to begin with.

The same for cleaning my carpet, dry cleaning my suite, repairing my dishwasher without destroying my tile floor, etc.

So I don't need anyone changing the landscape, I can see it just fine by letting it lay the way it was made.

I'm perfectly capable of spotting a whiner all on my lonesome, don't need any help from the business owner.

Yeah, I had the same thought. While it seems bad at first if you think about it some. This almost needs to happen. This only happens IF you have Angie's list get you your refund. Which the only fighting power they have is to remove your bad review. So you agree to give that up. Now you could have went off on your own to get a refund or at least try. Now once that is done if it happen all the time they would lose massive amount of money so for the few BS or fully legit bad reviews you can get rid of a few by paying off the people by giving them a refund. Say you replace a motherboard and the new one fails after 2 months. or you just do a crap job for some reason. So those go away for awhile. But soon you are either losing a lot of money or the people not getting refunds start to pile on the negative reviews and they still get a bad review over time. So it would be nice to see something like company resolved X complaints but in the long run it will catch up with them. Might take a few extra people due to not having that one or two bad reviews, but if they really are that bad it will catch up.

Back