Woman Arrested For Hit-and-Run After Her Car Calls 911

HardOCP News

[H] News
Talk about technology biting you in the ass. I can just imagine what the police said when they arrested the lady, "Ma'am, we received a report from your car that you are a dumbass."

A Florida woman has been arrested for a hit-and-run accident in Port St Lucie, after her car called the police to report the collision. According to police, who say the 57-year-old driver hit a truck and a van before driving off, her car’s emergency assistance feature automatically called 911, reporting the accident and location.

ahahahaha! That's classic, pretty neat feature I didn't realize was built into some cars now a days.

That's a bunch of bullshit. Even more reason to keep driving older vehicles.

ahahahaha! That's classic, pretty neat feature I didn't realize was built into some cars now a days.

just wait until these cars are 15 years old and being used in a demo derby. Cops are going to show up to what they think is a 20 car crash :p

Oh yes, so much bullshit that the criminal didn't get away with it. Seriously, the idea that everything is cool if you don't get caught is a 5-year old's version of ethics. How would you like to be hit by a driver to then takes off?

I bet it was a GM vehicle with Onstar. I know they have that feature.

This is an opt in feature on newer Fords, I believe it is called 911 Assist and it definitely wasn't on by default on my new Escape. If you get into an accident, the car will have your phone call 911 over the Bluetooth connection. This is actually quite handy as it allows anyone in or out the car to talk to 911 even if the phone can't be located or some of the occupants with phones are unconscious.

Oh yes, so much bullshit that the criminal didn't get away with it. Seriously, the idea that everything is cool if you don't get caught is a 5-year old's version of ethics. How would you like to be hit by a driver to then takes off?

I bet it was a GM vehicle with Onstar. I know they have that feature.

This was a Ford according the to article, see my comment above.

just wait until these cars are 15 years old and being used in a demo derby. Cops are going to show up to what they think is a 20 car crash :p

Or just defective sensors at that point after so many years... Now that will start to be a pain in a few years...

Is that Bruce Jenner killing people again??

bruce-jenner-header.jpg

There is of course the classic video of the 700HP CTS-V calling OnStar during a 1/4 mile run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8As1zshWxn0

From one toxic forum troll to another...good job. :D

In all seriousness though, it's good that people who do naughty stuff aren't able to get away with it thanks to their phone and their car being smarter than them. I'd be worried though that if I had something like that it'd upset the police because my driving is awful and I've hit lots of things like mailboxes and garbage cans and dumpsters and those stupid curb things they put in front of parking spaces...those suck because you can't see them until you accidentally drive over one and it makes like a loud clunk sound and your car is stuck over it.

I bet the driver is one of those who always says, "I don't mind being monitored or surveilled. I'm not doing anything wrong." :D

In all seriousness though, it's good that people who do naughty stuff aren't able to get away with it thanks to their phone and their car being smarter than them. I'd be worried though that if I had something like that it'd upset the police because my driving is awful and I've hit lots of things like mailboxes and garbage cans and dumpsters and those stupid curb things they put in front of parking spaces...those suck because you can't see them until you accidentally drive over one and it makes like a loud clunk sound and your car is stuck over it.

I guess I'm impressed. I never thought of myself as a forum troll, but being recognize by one of the best is pretty amusing to me. Thanks for making me laugh!

I guess I'm impressed. I never thought of myself as a forum troll, but being recognize by one of the best is pretty amusing to me. Thanks for making me laugh!

Aw, you're not a forum troll. It's just that other people would have said that so I thought I'd like head them off at the pass by doing it first so they'd be sitting their at their keyboards gritting their teeth while they think stuff like, "Curse you CreepyUncleGoogle! You've foiled my evil plans again!" and that makes admitting that I'm a toxic forum troll soooo worth it.

I do not. I just do not believe that an inanimate object should not be reporting things to the police. The nanny state, rat mentality is a bunch of bullshit.

fucktard. you sign up for this 911 assist on fords and onstar on chevy. 99% of the population like the idea that if they have an accident it calls 911 to help them. You are involved in a head on collision on a back road, normally you just lay there and die if serious or somebody comes by and see you. With these OPTIONAL services now the car realizes there is a problem and calls 911 for you. Personally I don't sign up for the services as if I die in a crash I wont' care. So my life is expendable. However if I had kids and they were in the car with me I would care and use the service to make sure they got aid as quickly as possible.

fucktard. you sign up for this 911 assist on fords and onstar on chevy. 99% of the population like the idea that if they have an accident it calls 911 to help them. You are involved in a head on collision on a back road, normally you just lay there and die if serious or somebody comes by and see you. With these OPTIONAL services now the car realizes there is a problem and calls 911 for you. Personally I don't sign up for the services as if I die in a crash I wont' care. So my life is expendable. However if I had kids and they were in the car with me I would care and use the service to make sure they got aid as quickly as possible.

My C63 does not have this feature, BUT my Hyundai Sonata does. The only reason I even paid for it is because it also includes the remote start feature which I really do like. But I also dont mind the idea of 911 assist and I also wouldnt hit and run so. But like you said all of this is optional. Ford I believe does it through your phone and it isnt paid like onstar for GM and Bluelink for Hyundai.

My C63 does not have this feature, BUT my Hyundai Sonata does. The only reason I even paid for it is because it also includes the remote start feature which I really do like. But I also dont mind the idea of 911 assist and I also wouldnt hit and run so. But like you said all of this is optional. Ford I believe does it through your phone and it isnt paid like onstar for GM and Bluelink for Hyundai.

yeah, from what I was just reading it is a feature of sync where it just dials 911 on your phone. Which is probably why their version is free as it isn't anything but hands free being able to speed dial a set number during a certain condition as opposed to Hyundai and Chevy that use their own dedicated network which requires people and technology.

I do not. I just do not believe that an inanimate object should not be reporting things to the police. The nanny state, rat mentality is a bunch of bullshit.
Except it's an opt-in feature that requires you to first sign up for the umbrella SYNC service before actually activating the 911 Assist feature. Over a year later I still haven't even activated SYNC in the Mustang I bought...

LOL. If you've gotten your car stuck on a parking block than I guess it was put there for MY safety. :D

LOL. If you've gotten your car stuck on a parking block than I guess it was put there for MY safety. :D

There wasn't another car on the other side parking space, but there's no reason to make those things so big that a car has trouble getting over one. It was really embarrassing to have to get like a tow truck to lift up the car and move though and the tow truck guy found it very funny, as if I'm the only one on the planet that's ever done that before. :(

I don't like the nanny state, rat people out mentality, either. I don't like cameras watching me, cars tracking me, etc.. But, this is optional (at this time), so I'm fine with it. As a Dad, if I were in a wreck, I'd want EMS there ASAP to help my family. Yes, I'll give up some of my privacy for safety for them. This is one of those things that isn't being used in a bad way (yet). If they start using it to track people, and arrest them for parking violations or speeding 4 MPH over or whatever, then I'll change my tune. Right now, it's not being used for that purpose. It's a safety thing. Optional safety thing. Don't want it? Don't turn it on.

Yes, I'll give up some of my privacy for safety for them.

There's totally a Benjamin Jefferson quote that people say over giving up privacy for safety that clueless, but politically-inclined people would yank out of context to post in reply to that since they're not creative enough to think up something witty for themselves. So yeah, just insert that dumb quote right here someplace.

Yeah, such bullshit we should all be able to get away with hit and runs! :rolleyes:

Make this shit mandatory. How can you argue against a system that automatically narcs on scumbags that cost others tons of money?

This is an opt in feature on newer Fords, I believe it is called 911 Assist and it definitely wasn't on by default on my new Escape. If you get into an accident, the car will have your phone call 911 over the Bluetooth connection. This is actually quite handy as it allows anyone in or out the car to talk to 911 even if the phone can't be located or some of the occupants with phones are unconscious.

Exactly. There are two components to this that people need to understand.
1.) The vehicle itself has no cellular call capability. It has to be tied to your phone in order to do this. The vehicle uses your phone to make the actual call.
2.) While the feature is certainly something you have to opt in to using, it hounds you every time you start the vehicle if you don't have the feature enabled. You end up turning it on after awhile because it's fucking annoying.

it hounds you every time you start the vehicle if you don't have the feature enabled.

On my Escape this stopped after a while, however it was at least six weeks of naggingI believe. Then I actually went and setup the feature once it stopped nagging me.

On my Escape this stopped after a while, however it was at least six weeks of naggingI believe. Then I actually went and setup the feature once it stopped nagging me.

If you update your vehicle to use Siri, the bitch won't stop.

There wasn't another car on the other side parking space, but there's no reason to make those things so big that a car has trouble getting over one. It was really embarrassing to have to get like a tow truck to lift up the car and move though and the tow truck guy found it very funny, as if I'm the only one on the planet that's ever done that before. :(

No, you are probably not the only one that has done that, but you have to be a HORRIBLE driver to do that. Have you thought of taking driving classes? Or just not ever driving ever again. I pray I am never in the same city as you as I don't think anyone is safe from your driving from how it sounds.

There's totally a Benjamin Jefferson quote that people say over giving up privacy for safety that clueless, but politically-inclined people would yank out of context to post in reply to that since they're not creative enough to think up something witty for themselves. So yeah, just insert that dumb quote right here someplace.

Benjamin Jefferson? *twitch* you just caused my brain to hurt. :(

No, you are probably not the only one that has done that, but you have to be a HORRIBLE driver to do that. Have you thought of taking driving classes? Or just not ever driving ever again. I pray I am never in the same city as you as I don't think anyone is safe from your driving from how it sounds.

I admit I'm a bad driver okay? But seriously, it's impossible to see those stupid things once you pull far enough forward for the stuff at the front of the car to hide them from your view. You can kinda see them if you heading towards them at an angle or if you hang your head out the window, but that's not very safe if there's something next to your car and you also let all the cool or warm air out when you put the window down to stick your head way out. If you're not super tall, you also have to almost stand up to lean out far enough and that's probably even more dangerous since your foot could slip onto a pedal or something. They really need to just get rid of those things or make them small enough to drive over with a small car and not get stuck on top of...oh and they mess up the plastic stuff on the bumper too by scraping it up and cracking it.

Benjamin Jefferson? *twitch* you just caused my brain to hurt. :(

Sorry...but it's true. If I didn't mention it, someone else would have quoted him sooner or later.

Sorry...but it's true. If I didn't mention it, someone else would have quoted him sooner or later.

please stop, my IQ can't take much more of this. :( and no, I don't think anyone would have quoted a mythical hybrid Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson squid demon. At least imagine they would form a squid demon of some type when combined.

The "I didn't see it" defense is going to be great when instead of a parking garage block, it's a small child.

They should be suspending suspended people's licenses for doing shit like this. If you're regularly hitting shit with your car, you're no less of a danger than someone than someone who is driving drunk.

Yea, I figured ol' Ben Washington would have something to say.

I give my kids a cell phone for some security (call if you need a ride, stuck somewhere, etc.). I lock my doors for security. Security system can call and be monitored for security.

I'm not giving up my freedom's all willy nilly. It's an optional service, non-intrusive (like I said - at this time).

If the government were to become a part of it, and get access to track individuals movements, driving habits, etc., then it'd be a problem. Right now, it's not.

So, what if a person has an accident and is incapacitated? Let's say the driver hits a tree, or filps their car? If no one is around, the car calling 911 could be a lifesaver.

As far as I know, such systems are opt-in, to appease this that worry about the 'nanny-state, rat mentality'.

It's not bullshit. It's a feature in a car that is there for the driver's safety in the event of an accident, that functioned perfectly and that the driver actually needed. That the driver, whether conscious of their illegal actions or not, left the scene and was later caught because of the same feature is poetic justice.

But you can keep driving your older cars. However, you should go ahead and acknowledge the potential irony of a future situation in which your older car, lacking more cutting edge safety features, not only fails to help you avoid a really terrible accident, but also is unable to alert the people who could save your life.

I just want the brother to see the whole picture. Don't let it bother you though, nothing like that will ever happen to you.

It's not bullshit. It's a feature in a car that is there for the driver's safety in the event of an accident, that functioned perfectly and that the driver actually needed. That the driver, whether conscious of their illegal actions or not, left the scene and was later caught because of the same feature is poetic justice.

But you can keep driving your older cars. However, you should go ahead and acknowledge the potential irony of a future situation in which your older car, lacking more cutting edge safety features, not only fails to help you avoid a really terrible accident, but also is unable to alert the people who could save your life.

I just want the brother to see the whole picture. Don't let it bother you though, nothing like that will ever happen to you.

nice post. It's nice to see people can reply without resorting to name calling or immaturity to get a contrasting point across.

please stop, my IQ can't take much more of this. :( and no, I don't think anyone would have quoted a mythical hybrid Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson squid demon. At least imagine they would form a squid demon of some type when combined.

Wonder Twin Powers .... ACTIVATE !

Back