Microsoft Uses GPUs to Build Record-Breaking Image Recognition System

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft researchers became the latest to achieve record results on ImageNet, a prestigious image-recognition benchmark, thanks to the use of GPUs. Microsoft’s system, compared with last year’s result, cuts the top-5 error rate by half, correctly classifying images within 1,000 pre-defined categories more than 96 percent of the time. The system is a 152-layer neural network, which is nearly five times deeper than the state of the art. The breakthrough comes amidst an artificial intelligence renaissance sparked by the use of GPUs to create powerful neural networks. Until recently, asking a computer to tackle simple image recognition tasks — such as recognizing a bird in a picture — caused the most advanced systems to stumble.

Not sure if I like this idea. You know it will only be used for more Big Brother motives. Cool technology sure, but I just have so little trust in Microsoft anymore and whom they might sell or lease time to, to use it's capabilities.

Perfectly combined with 1TB of OneDrive storage for all Microsoft's data mining needs (or some of them at least since they need OS-level data collection that they keep turning it back on again for you in Windows 10 updates). :D

Perfectly combined with 1TB of OneDrive storage for all Microsoft's data mining needs (or some of them at least since they need OS-level data collection that they keep turning it back on again for you in Windows 10 updates). :D

Took the words out of my mouth.

Wonder if this will fix that video from a week ago where it was tagging the video as you recorded it. So on the screen you would see "woman in blue dress standing next to sign" "brick building with cracks" "red car parked next to curb"....

Yes this could be used for evil I guess. Or it could be used for faster login using face or image login. Or could be used as they said there for AI to recognize images.

Although if you are afraid of a programs being able to use a camera to look at a picture of a cat and know that is a cat then good for you I guess.

Although if you are afraid of a programs being able to use a camera to look at a picture of a cat and know that is a cat then good for you I guess.

Think bigger. Autonomous robots. They could know the difference between a dog in the way of it's path or a tumbleweed. They would know the difference between Barbara and Jeanine. They would know a potato from a rock. Instantly.

All these little things they are working on (and Steve gives the whole 'Skynet' vibe to) could be bundled together to really create a Terminator (or Sonny, or whatever your robot of choice is).

It could be used for bad purposes, but when has the government used technology for their own power grabbing benefit? That's the downside to technology.

Not sure if I like this idea. You know it will only be used for more Big Brother motives. Cool technology sure, but I just have so little trust in Microsoft anymore and whom they might sell or lease time to, to use it's capabilities.

While it's true that the data collected will be monetized in some way like credit bureaus but you can't single out Microsoft since everyone does it. Facebook does it, Yahoo nags me for my cell number every time I log in to index me, Apple, Google, etc. So, unless you stop using the internet altogether it's kind of hypocritical to pretend not everyone does it.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Only because it's a really reasonable conclusion. Unless you're living under a rock, it's painfully obvious that Microsoft is working as hard as possible to catch up with Google, Facebook, Twitter, and any of those other platforms that exist solely to creep around looking at everything you do.

I do love the people that are all like, "Oh, but you didn't also complain in your post about all those other companies that are collecting data so you MUST think they're okay in doing it which, based upon the situation I just invented for you, invalidates your being concerned about Microsoft (my one true corporate love that I dote over incessantly because I have irrational emotions about a stupid piece of software or a faceless, nameless corporation) so you can't bring up that point anymore now that I invented a situation for you that I think justifies me arguing against it even if that's not what you said to being with." I think someone just did that in this thread, come to think of it. Heatlesssun does it in the Windows privacy related threads too pretty consistently if someone else doesn't...or at least he comes by to go "Rah-rah! Yeah!" to the people that post it first before he gets to it.

Back