Tech Luminaries Plan To Stop Computers From Taking Over With “OpenAI”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A non-profit research firm has been established to “ensure, or increase, the probability that AI would develop in a beneficial way” with “no obligation to maximize profitability.”

OpenAI…vows to make its results public and its patents royalty-free, all to ensure that the scary prospect of computers surpassing human intelligence may not be the dystopia that some people fear. Funding comes from a group of tech luminaries including Elon Musk, Reid Hoffman, Peter Thiel, Jessica Livingston and Amazon Web Services. They have collectively pledged more than a billion dollars to be paid over a long time period.

Oh great, they're calling Elmo Munk a tech luminary like he's done anything other than head up companies that blow up space cargo with defective rockets and start fires in peoples' garages with overpriced, battery powered toy cars.

Oh great, they're calling Elmo Munk a tech luminary like he's done anything other than head up companies that blow up space cargo with defective rockets and start fires in peoples' garages with overpriced, battery powered toy cars.

Guess you've never used Paypal....

To change the world you have to break the norm. Nothing wrong in my mind with privatizing space travel due to the government getting out of the business and trying to shake up the 100 year old oil empire.

Failures are bound to happen. Apollo 1? Challenger? Have to break a few eggs to make a cake.

Paypal hasn't caused fires in peoples homes by hiring a buncha the cheapest engineers to design the next over-hyped product that Monk gets given credit for inventing even though he's just a corporate exec.

Paypal hasn't caused fires in peoples homes by hiring a buncha the cheapest engineers to design the next over-hyped product that Monk gets given credit for inventing even though he's just a corporate exec.

Because Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota, BMW cars have never caught on fire :rolleyes:

Get off the ignorance train, there's already enough idiots riding it as is!

The CEO gives direction for their corporation. Musk gets himself and his corporations into areas of the market that have holes - SpaceX (now a lot of competition), Tesla, and Paypal are good examples; SolarCity is questionable (i think he's just a board member there though).

Tesla is pushing other car companies indirectly through competition which is excellent for the consumer. I personally can't wait to get into the next round of EV's (note: i currently have a 2012 Leaf and I do and have enjoyed it). It's between the GM Bolt and Tesla Model 3. If the Bolt doesn't have automatic driving on at least highway travel i'll be getting the Model 3.

Back