Adobe Sees Record Revenue After Switch To Cloud Subscriptions

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Any designers or photographers care to comment on Adobe's new business model? I hated the idea but eventually bit on their Photoshop and Lightroom subscription combo, which seemed like a decent enough deal.

…the company added $350 Million in recurring revenue in the fourth quarter alone. Adobe reports that this growth was driven by increasing enterprise adoption and the addition of 833,000 new individual and team Creative Cloud subscriptions. All of this paints a picture of a company that has made a successful transition to a subscription model. While many companies struggle to change themselves, Adobe executed a clear plan well before its back was up against the wall.

I'm digging the subscription model. They add new features and refine them on a constant basis now rather than fencing off the best new stuff for next years version. I primarily use Premiere and After Effects but do a little tweaking around in Photoshop on occasion. Adobe certainly hasn't been resting on it's laurels with any of it so far as I've seen.

Its actually pretty fucking awesome if you use it a lot. Its lame for hobby'ists though.

I could never justify buying Photoshop outright, let alone Master Suite. But I subscribed to CC Complete because working at a college qualifies for Student Teacher which is only $19.99 a month (normally $79.99). That is completely reasonable to me.

What I question is, what will be the long term affect. I think we can all agree that Photoshops rise to fame was the prevalent use by young people in the 90's and 00's. This exposure was made possible by rampant piracy.

A $600 piece of software would never become "mainstream" by itself. So it helped cement photoshop as the defacto photo manipulation software. Because as these kids went into college and then the workplace they had years of experience with this software. Which meant the companies would be inclined to purchase Photoshop. And the cycle just fed itself.

But now, moving to this subscription service, now what are the kids going to use for photo manipulation? They can't hack the cloud stuff. And the old warez versions are going to become obsolete as time goes by...6-8 years from now.

Your saying the student/teacher version is still $20 a month? That is still a LOT of money for something people use to make content that has no commercial value (meaning the hobbiest).

Maybe they will be successful, I don't know, but I'll sit on the porch in the rocking chair with my finger waiting to shake.

I don't like it. I'm still using CS6 Master Suite because of it. I'd rather pay outright for programs that my business depends on.

Your saying the student/teacher version is still $20 a month? That is still a LOT of money for something people use to make content that has no commercial value (meaning the hobbiest).

$20 a month isn't just Photoshop though. That's the whole Creative Cloud Suite. If you were doing graphic design, videography, or a mix of other things you might want that. Otherwise the cheapest way to get Photoshop is still the $10 a month sub with PS and LR, and that one can be used for commercial purposes.

It's not surprising to me that they are doing well. Trying to get people to shell out big dollars just for Photoshop and would still get upgraded about every 18 months IIRC doesn't fit into the average person's budget. You'd have to also sign up for a maintenance contract if you wanted to get your upgrades in the old days that weren't full price. So the new model is considerably cheaper. If you are a hobbyist you seriously should be able to afford this software, we're talking 1 - 2 hours of minimum wage work a MONTH and you get to use it. I can almost spend as much money just picking up fast food once these days. Most hobbyists probably still spend more on accessories for their camera per year than it costs to have a solution to process their work.

@NukeULater: Is your business not on a maintenance contract? I'd imagine a lot of businesses were technically already in a sub style model after their initial purchase. You paid a negotiated rate to get the software, then pay a fee for upgrade rights.

The Bleed the Customer business model.

Sadly, no different than Malwarebytes and the yearly sub crap or Office 365 and the yearly sub crap... The fear is that Microsoft might pull this crap with Windows. :(

*hugs his collection of Malwarebytes lifetime installs* :p

I honestly haven't seen much wrong with the subscription options for adobe or office. In the long run it is cheaper and you always have the current software. So if you almost never use it, then yes it is a waste. But for people who actually use the software they will save money this way. On the flip side, since it is priced better people actually pay for it. So they make more. Helps when instead of thousands on new software you spend a few dollars a month.

I honestly haven't seen much wrong with the subscription options for adobe or office. In the long run it is cheaper and you always have the current software.

It might be true if you always upgrade as soon as the latest version comes out.
But if you buy (especially with a discount) and keep using the old version as long as possible, the subscription is a lot more expensive. Adobe as lost revenue with my company as we are no longer upgrading the software every couple years (we usually would skip a version to save money)

We still have a couple marketing people running CS5. I gave pricing for the subscriptions to the manager and they didn't want to spend that much money. The few other people who where running Adobe products are either running even older versions, or the software was removed the last time I upgraded their computer. I usually just installed something else (usually free since they usually just need a viewer).

It's like saying it's cheaper to lease a car than to buy one. I have this argument with someone at the office. He leases a new car every couple years and thinks he's saving money, since his lease payments are cheaper than my loan payments (I only have car payments because the loan was 0%)

However, he always has a payment, while I keep my cars for 10+ years and have no payment for most that time. He spends a lot more money over the years than me even though he drives a smaller car.

I'll be keeping my CS6 for a loooong time. I'm just a hobbyist photographer and CS6 has way more power than I'll ever need. For me, the subscription model doesn't make sense since it's unlikely I'll ever be an expert with CS6.

I personally avoid anything (for the computer) that has a subscription. My Malware Bytes edition was a lifetime purchase that follows me when I get a new machine (don't think they sell that any more). My copy of DVDFab is also a lifetime buy. My antivirus is the free version of AVG. Most of the rest of my daily use software is open source so there's no subscription required (I have donated though).

I fall into the category of a "serious hobbyist" or "part-time pro" photographer, and will be keeping my student copy of CS5 for the foreseeable future. Surprised to see so many consumers in this thread praising the subscription model.

The obvious downside that isn't being discussed much: what happens to your files if you decide to stop subscribing in the future for whatever reason? I'm OCD about my workflow, redundancy, and having complete control of my work. Thus, I'm absolutely unwilling to subscribe and use a rolling-release software package where my files will become useless (or at least crippled) if my subscription ever cuts off. With the copy of CS5 I've purchased, I know that at any point in the future, I'll be able to open my processed image files and use/edit/export them exactly as I did originally.

Granted, the level of concern over this issue depends a lot on your workflow. If you tend to open Photoshop/Premiere/etc., use all the fancy filters and effects, but then flatten everything and export your end result as a generic TIF file, it isn't really a problem -- you've already lost the ability to refine all the intermediate steps that got you to the final product.

On the other hand, if you value a non-destructive workflow and are willing to put up with 500 MB-1 GB .PSD files for one image so that every step can be revised after the fact, the subscription model is really hard to swallow. There are a few features I wish I had in CS5, but so far, they're nowhere near worth losing the certainty I get by continuing to use it.

I have three subscriptions and of all the things in photography business it does 33% of my workload that pays (marketing, actual shooting, editing) buy takes up less then half a percent of my monthly earning. I'm not complaining about it.

I fall into the category of a "serious hobbyist" or "part-time pro" photographer, and will be keeping my student copy of CS5 for the foreseeable future. Surprised to see so many consumers in this thread praising the subscription model.

The obvious downside that isn't being discussed much: what happens to your files if you decide to stop subscribing in the future for whatever reason? I'm OCD about my workflow, redundancy, and having complete control of my work. Thus, I'm absolutely unwilling to subscribe and use a rolling-release software package where my files will become useless (or at least crippled) if my subscription ever cuts off. With the copy of CS5 I've purchased, I know that at any point in the future, I'll be able to open my processed image files and use/edit/export them exactly as I did originally.

Granted, the level of concern over this issue depends a lot on your workflow. If you tend to open Photoshop/Premiere/etc., use all the fancy filters and effects, but then flatten everything and export your end result as a generic TIF file, it isn't really a problem -- you've already lost the ability to refine all the intermediate steps that got you to the final product.

On the other hand, if you value a non-destructive workflow and are willing to put up with 500 MB-1 GB .PSD files for one image so that every step can be revised after the fact, the subscription model is really hard to swallow. There are a few features I wish I had in CS5, but so far, they're nowhere near worth losing the certainty I get by continuing to use it.

You really have this fear after 23 years of photoshop and the option for backwards compatibility?

No, perhaps not commercial value, but skill and talent.

Learning to use advanced tools (relative to commoners who barely know how to use computers) is quite handy to add to your skillsets. I worked in IT performing multiple roles of helpdesk, helpdesk lead, sysadmin, and a variety of other misc tasks, yet in this job I had convincing justification for a 10 USD/month Photography CC subscription (for Photoshop). I used Photoshop as a regular tool in my job.

Just knowing how to use Photoshop since my teenage years has given me an upper hand in general purpose application and general productiivity.

As an amateur photographer, I feel the photography bundle is a decent deal.
I don't want to shell out 240$ a year for Premiere though (I don't use it enough), which puts me in an odd spot where I need to pirate it.. might as well pirate it all.

I disagree. Paying monthly was way easier to handle than buying a suite at one time.

My other half has been using PS and other Adobe products for years and I hated the whole 'upgrade shuffle' and boy if you missed the upgrade window...

I used to hate upgrading to rebuilding her PC (well still do) as it was like playing Kerplunk with the Adobe stuff.

The outright purchase pricing was stupid too. You'd buy version 5 for say $300 and then miss version 5.5 that came out 6 months later but then find you couldn't upgrade from 5 to 6 unless you paid $600 for the whole thing. Horrible.

....snip...

I'm not too worried about it because it's easy enough to keep all of the original RAWs around. I can't imagine many people going back to a photo that you've already processed to just tweak something then resave it, especially if you already ordered prints. If you saved that TIF you should be able to do some tweaking to it if absolutely needed, otherwise whatever software you decide you want to edit with in the future you can just go back to the RAW and edit from there.

If you're a part time pro then I would assume "time = money", as soon as you get a new camera body then the time it's going to take to deal with attempting to run all of your pictures through a converter to work on your legacy software is going to be more costly than just paying for a subscription. Not to mention that in 10 years time you probably won't even be able to use the software unless you either kept around a now 10 year old pc to run it on, or you attempt to run it in a VM. For $30 you can pick up the software for 90 days, do what you need to do with it, and then cancel your sub again. And it will work on whatever modern hardware and software you are using.

trentchau said:
You really have this fear after 23 years of photoshop and the option for backwards compatibility?
If Adobe ever does get too pricey again, or something happens and they go under, you can bet there is going to be an enormous market ready to fill that gap. It would be one thing if it was some little oddball program that few people use, but if we're talking about PS there will be an upgrade path since the majority will be affected by a change.

What I question is, what will be the long term affect. I think we can all agree that Photoshops rise to fame was the prevalent use by young people in the 90's and 00's. This exposure was made possible by rampant piracy.

No, no it wasn't how it got famous. It got there first (the desktop) and did the job better than anything else for the most part. Everything else at the time was a turnkey appliance type setup and was insanely expensive compared to the adobe offerings. Sure, multiple install office piracy was pretty rampant, but it had zero to do with the warez kiddies distributing it.

A $600 piece of software would never become "mainstream" by itself. So it helped cement photoshop as the defacto photo manipulation software. Because as these kids went into college and then the workplace they had years of experience with this software. Which meant the companies would be inclined to purchase Photoshop. And the cycle just fed itself.

The companies had already been purchasing the software. Which is why the universities bought it. That and the insane academic discount for institutions. Before CC, the master collection was something like $200 per lab workstation.

But now, moving to this subscription service, now what are the kids going to use for photo manipulation? They can't hack the cloud stuff. And the old warez versions are going to become obsolete as time goes by...6-8 years from now.

That;s not the real problem. The real problem are all the small graphics houses and freelancers. The usual model was they'd buy into it at some point, and upgrade at the last opportunity to get upgrade pricing. Usually every 2-3 versions. This put the total cost of ownership at about $250-350 a year per desirable item for print and web design. You also didn't need to have everything for every workstation usually.

Price wise, they had real issues with the wedding photographer world, which is where the $10 photography pack came in.

web and print is marginal.

Videography is reasonably set up price wise.

Academic pricing for institutions is FUBAR. We haven't updated our institutional licensing since they went all cloud. We've been riding out the last shrink wrapped solution.

Maybe they will be successful, I don't know, but I'll sit on the porch in the rocking chair with my finger waiting to shake.

For photography, their pricing for the hobbyist is great. $10 a month. I have had access to better than academic pricing for years, and that averages out to less than I could manage even with that pricing for just photoshop if I got every version.

As a designer and front-end web developer, I absolutely love it. It works out to being roughly the same price as if you upgraded on every version, but it's much more convenient and you get a rolling version with constantly upgrading features. It also means that I don't have to choose between the Mac and Windows versions, so that I can use the same subscription on my Macbook from work and my desktop from home.

As a designer and front-end web developer, I absolutely love it. It works out to being roughly the same price as if you upgraded on every version, but it's much more convenient and you get a rolling version with constantly upgrading features.

This. If one is always going to be using the software, the low monthly payments along with constant upgrades is very nice. The only real downside is that after years and years of payments you have nothing if you stop making the payments. If there where some way to keep a static version after so many payments then that removes the only big downside.

People are saying its 10 a month, but isn't that a yearly subscription? Aka 120 a year (paid monthly). If it were 10 a month thatd be fine for occasional use. But at 120 a year, if you only use it a few months a year, then that sucks.

People are saying its 10 a month, but isn't that a yearly subscription? Aka 120 a year (paid monthly). If it were 10 a month thatd be fine for occasional use. But at 120 a year, if you only use it a few months a year, then that sucks.

Nope, I'm paying the 10$ monthly.

Nope, I'm paying the 10$ monthly.

you: at 11:04:51
Hi, my name is Andrew. I was wondering in regards to the cloud subscription (for students), is the $9.99/mo plan available one month at a time? If I need it three months out of the year, but not consecutive months, can I only pay for the months I use it?
Pauline: at 11:05:01
Hello Andrew , Nice to have you on chat. I will be glad to help you with the purchase today.
Pauline: at 11:05:27
Photography plan is available as annual plan only.
Pauline: at 11:05:32
The annual plan paid monthly requires annual commitment. You can cancel the plan after a year.
you: at 11:05:45
Thank you very much

from adobe (just now)

It's buggy at times. Mostly the cloud interactivity part.

The welcome window would constantly hang forever on most of my apps.
Fortunately they allow you to disable it, once it eventually loads.

For $10/month for Photoshop/Lightroom, it makes total sense for those that need Photoshop (which would cost more to outright purchase each new version upon release) or amateur photographers on up that use the heck out of Lightroom and need to use Photoshop occasionally.

Problem i have with it, is that for average users its kinda spendy.
It feels very "cable company bundly". Which is not what users like right now.

I believe it allows for 3 simultaneous logins however. So you could potentially split it with someone.

Being that I make 20x that on average per wedding, and do about 25 weddings a year along with corporate gigs as a paid photographer...it takes a shit ton of laziness not to earn back what photoshop and lightroom gives back in return..

And I know everyone is not a professional, but all it adds up to is not taking 2 trips to taco bell a month to have this. Otherwise there's a lot of free software like gimp you can use if you are truly frugal.

TL:DR Adobe cloud is the LEAST of my worries in expenses as a photographer. Hell 1 SSD cost more than what I would spend a year in software.

Its actually pretty fucking awesome if you use it a lot. Its lame for hobby'ists though.

This.

We used the cloud setup at my last position for the whole company and being able to subscribe / unsubscribe users based on their needs saved us a lot of time and money versus buying individual licenses and shuffling machines.

As an individual though, I'm still on LR 5.7.1 that I downloaded for free. I'm a hobbyist photographer that shoots 10k or so shots per year. For my needs, I just need functionality. I'd much rather put that money saved towards gear versus having the newest update of some software.

It gets a thumbs up from me so far.

I'm doing the $20/mo student plan for the whole Creative Cloud Suite. Mainly using LightRoom and Premiere at this point, but plan to dive into Photoshop soon. I've been a GIMP user for years, but it looks like I finally have a good reason to transition over.

Sometimes it's buggy. Otherwise, it's fine if you're going to use it a lot.

This. Typically you would upgrade every 6-7 years. In general the subscription costs are the same, but you get constant upgrades. The problem is for those that stop using it. Lets say you no longer heavily use it, although 2 years later want to quickly edit some old work. Or do some small projects. Now you're screwed and have to shell out again. And it suddenly starts getting pricey for how much you use it.

from adobe (just now)

Well, that sucks. It seems I have the annual subscription, just that I'm paying monthly. I didn't realize I was signing up for a year when I registered.
I never before subscribed to an online service that couldn't be canceled at any time.
Also, the prize seems to be higher in sweden. My annual cost is the equivalent of 144$.

Adobe Subscription Terms said:
Should you cancel after 14 days, you’ll be charged 50% of your remaining contract obligation and your service will continue until the end of that month’s billing period.
Cancellations can be made any time by visiting your Manage Account page or by contacting Customer Support.

I guess this 50% deal is better than signing up for a year. Except they claim they can at any time change the monthly fee.
Statement in bold is false however. The 'Cancel plan' button just tells me to contact customer support.

Back