Electron Lifetime Is At Least 66,000 Yottayears

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Physicists have recently deduced that electrons only manage to stay around for 660,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

The best measurement yet of the lifetime of the electron suggests that a particle present today will probably still be around in 66,000 yottayears (6.6 × 1028 yr), which is about five-quintillion times the current age of the universe. That is the conclusion of physicists working on the Borexino experiment in Italy, who have been searching for evidence that the electron decays to a photon and a neutrino; a process that would violate the conservation of electrical charge and point towards undiscovered physics beyond the Standard Model.

That's it? Those electrons better get their shit together if they want people to take them seriously.

However, the Standard Model does not adequately explain all aspects of physics,
Sure that's a good reason to just say "fuck it, we don't think it works" we're going with our gut on this!

Borexino's organic liquid contains a vast number of electrons (about 1032), and the fact that no electron decays were seen during the search allowed the team to estimate a minimum value for the average lifetime of the electron.
Now no proof isn't exactly a new thing, because very often it's backed by other science that it was built on, so you're given "the benefit of the doubt" but it is still called a hypothesis. Now here, they go against the grain, and still have no proof, but if we don't have proof we can put a minimum time on the decay process...

I'm going to call this a non-science story for the time being

The Last Question

I have linked this short story before, but it really is a fantastic listen. It's a 1956 short story by Isaac Asimov that deals with humans concern of entropy of the entire universe. For the time period it was written in, it's a fantastic concept, and, technology wise, it still makes sense even today (despite the integrated circuit coming about 2 years after this story).

It's 30 minutes.....give it a listen. It's one of my favorite stories.

The Last Question

I have linked this short story before, but it really is a fantastic listen. It's a 1956 short story by Isaac Asimov that deals with humans concern of entropy of the entire universe. For the time period it was written in, it's a fantastic concept, and, technology wise, it still makes sense even today (despite the integrated circuit coming about 2 years after this story).

It's 30 minutes.....give it a listen. It's one of my favorite stories.

Thank you for this great link!

Back