New Education Bill To Get More Coding In Classrooms

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Signed this week, the Every Student Succeeds Act puts computer science “on equal footing with other subjects when state and local policymakers decide how to dole out federal funds,” which should aid the effort in driving computer science into school curriculums.

With this law, which replaces the 13-year-old No Child Left Behind law, the hope is that computer science will make its way into more U.S. classrooms, and eventually more graduates literate in the subject. Code.org says only 1 in 4 school teach computer science, and in 23 states computer science cannot be applied to math or science requirements.

Good move, though if they left out music/art, it's kinda half-assed (and congress tends to think art = waste, when it actually = more creative engineers)

I teach technology grades 6-8. The problem is that these classes get treated as electives, which means equal to art, PE, music, home-Ec, etc. So, are not allowed to have pre-reqs for reading or math level. In a logic and math heavy programming course this leads to many students not being well prepared for the topics.

Good move, though if they left out music/art, it's kinda half-assed (and congress tends to think art = waste, when it actually = more creative engineers)
THIS ++

I'm currently working toward my degree in CS/EE but also getting a certificate in acting on the side. All the time I get "why are you wasting your time with acting classes? Why not just take more eng classes or give yourself more freetime." Answer is because I don't wanna graduate to be a sperglord neckbeard engineer that can only crunch numbers and follow protocol . Doing myself and my potential employers no benefit that way.

THIS ++

I'm currently working toward my degree in CS/EE but also getting a certificate in acting on the side. All the time I get "why are you wasting your time with acting classes? Why not just take more eng classes or give yourself more freetime." Answer is because I don't wanna graduate to be a sperglord neckbeard engineer that can only crunch numbers and follow protocol . Doing myself and my potential employers no benefit that way.
That's exactly the way they want you to be! Jeeze, havent you seen Office Space? !

That's exactly the way they want you to be! Jeeze, havent you seen Office Space? !

They want that, but they want creative engineers. I had a couple of professors with a PhD in CS/CE and a BA in music.

This is the attitude of society in general, not just congress.

my nephew is in 5th grade and they are doing coding. Right now it is some fake coding where you take blocks and put them in order (like of like kodu or project spark) to do things. Once they get past a certain level with that they get to move on to javascript.

I was surprised they were doing any coding like that.

Back