20% Of Americans Use Internet 'Almost Constantly'

HardOCP News

[H] News
How much time do you spending online each day? Are you in this group? I guess I'd be online "almost constantly" too, not just because it's my job either. ;)

A great majority of Americans go online every day, and 21 percent use the Internet "almost constantly," according to a survey by Pew Research Center. Of the 87 percent of survey respondents who reported going online at all, the most common option chosen was that they go on "several times a day," with only 6 percent reporting not going online at least daily.

We have to get it up to 99~% with these new brain chips - Alphabet Inc.

Pew's survey was conducted by phone with 2,001 Americans aged 18 and older, in June and July of this year.
Only 2,001 people surveyed? Who the heck pays for these surveys anyway? I want to get my hands on this funding for ridiculous useless things. :)

Only 2,001 people surveyed? Who the heck pays for these surveys anyway? I want to get my hands on this funding for ridiculous useless things. :)

That's like a statistics kinda thing. There's actually like a mathematical basis behind figuring out a reliable sample size based on the confidence interval you're trying to reach. It has something to do with standard deviations from the norm and other junk that I had to learn about in a college class but mostly forgot because its not useful for most people doing day to day stuff. But yeah, 2,001 is a pretty decent sample size AND can seriously have its very own space odyssey if it wants because it's just got that much Arthur C. Clarke stuffed inside it.

That's 2,001 people too stupid to know their phone is always connected to the internet. Unless they found people without cellphones and only landlines, I haven't met someone without a cellphone since like 2006.

There is a difference between your phone using the internet and you being engaged using the internet.

Statistics you say? Burn that shit with fire lol. Nah, I actually did that crap for a living for a while. I'm super picky about *broad* samples. There's really no indicator here of where the samples came from. Was it just one town? Was it people all over the nation? I see they mentioned ethnicity and ages, but not geographic region.

Statistics you say? Burn that shit with fire lol. Nah, I actually did that crap for a living for a while. I'm super picky about *broad* samples. There's really no indicator here of where the samples came from. Was it just one town? Was it people all over the nation? I see they mentioned ethnicity and ages, but not geographic region.

Oh no, I totally agree. Math and I get along like really poorly and statistics...I had like 3 courses of that stuff in college and they were all a HUGE struggle for me. You do make a good point about the geography of where they conducted the survey. I really wanna assume they did a good job with it, but maybe that's just way too many rainbows and sunshine talking.

Well, looking at that number 20%, it's so devoid of real scale.

What are we, like 325 Million live in the US?

20% would be what, 64 Million people are on the internet all day long.

Hmmm, I just check, Cell Phone market penetration is estimated at 81% for 2015. So about 20% don't have a phone, and the same number never get off the internet.

I'm sure there are some missing parameters, um, you don't need a phone to get on the internet, your computer or phone can be using the internet while you soak in the tub. Now I have to admit, I fall pretty darn close to the 20% who are always online. I'm pretty much plugged in all day long now.

Hmm, typical day, phone wakes me up at 6 AM, get outa bed, start coffee, turn on computer, screw around on the computer until 7ish, shower, eat, drive 15 min. to work. Spend 8 hours at work on one keyboard or another. Go home, did I say my car has XFM? I read ebooks over lunch or while standing in line. I go home and game my ass off mostly, order make-up and vitamins for the wife from Amazon. Yes all day long I am pretty much engaged one way or another with the Internet or some other network.

Show of hands, others like me?

im on he interwebs all the time. It is my life..... sorta. Odd thing is, I prefer solo games, and not internet multiplayer ones.

That's 2,001 people too stupid to know their phone is always connected to the internet. Unless they found people without cellphones and only landlines, I haven't met someone without a cellphone since like 2006.

Exactly. Even people using Netflix connected to a smart TV or playing an online game are using the internet whether or not they really realize it without taking it for granted.

The internet of things is something a lot of people don't realize they are using all the time. Need an Uber? Using Pandora or something in your car? Internet!

... I haven't met someone without a cellphone since like 2006.
Hi, my name is DustMite and I do not carry a cellphone or a smart phone.
You have now met a person in 2015 that does not use a cellphone. :D
Since I ditched the cellphone in like 2009, life had been a whole lot less stressful.
It's a personal choice that may not be for everyone. ;)

Back