Facebook Ready To Tackle The Workplace

HardOCP News

[H] News
So all Facebook had to do was remove games and all the sudden it's ready to tackle the workplace? Umm, okay. The bigger question is how many employers are going to be onboard with this?

Geared toward businesses and their employees, Facebook at Work acts like the same social network used by more than a billion people around the world. It includes virtually all the same features and options, such as profiles, timelines, posts, groups, pages, events and the ability to follow and interact with other people, in this case, co-workers. Games, however, won't be part of the package.

After initially snickering a little, I actually think this is a brilliant idea. I can't tell you how many companies have internal social networks that full-on suck. Some are Yammer-based, others are just a mishmash of Sharepoint nonsense and internal profiles gone overboard.
I'd rather people use something familiar and relatively well done instead.

After initially snickering a little, I actually think this is a brilliant idea. I can't tell you how many companies have internal social networks that full-on suck. Some are Yammer-based, others are just a mishmash of Sharepoint nonsense and internal profiles gone overboard.
I'd rather people use something familiar and relatively well done instead.

Definitely. There is business value in team oriented work in social networking. We've tried a couple but I agree, FB would probably be better.

More than that, this allows you to friend a co-worker without having them on your real FB page. With virtually no exceptions, I simply won't friend a co-worker. We've all read the horror stories of bosses finding out about something via an FB post. Better to keep their nose out of my life outside of when I'm at work.

The day the marketing department convinces my company to use Facebook in the office is the day I fine a different job.

Don't have a Facebook account, don't want a Facebook account , especially if connected to work.

Just as bad as when the company wanted to plaster everyone's pictures and information on the company web site, and they couldn't under stand why I refused to allow them to even take my picture (as I knew it would be used if they had it).
I'm not management, a sales person, or a field tech, so I have no direct contact with customers. There is no reason they need to put my information on a public facing web site.
And yes, I'm over protective of my privacy. If you look up my real name, about all you will find is a few public records like when I bought my house, and what high school I went to.

You can't even access facebook at my work without a proxy service. I guess we're not participating. :-P

The day the marketing department convinces my company to use Facebook in the office is the day I fine a different job.

Don't have a Facebook account, don't want a Facebook account , especially if connected to work.

Just as bad as when the company wanted to plaster everyone's pictures and information on the company web site, and they couldn't under stand why I refused to allow them to even take my picture (as I knew it would be used if they had it).
I'm not management, a sales person, or a field tech, so I have no direct contact with customers. There is no reason they need to put my information on a public facing web site.
And yes, I'm over protective of my privacy. If you look up my real name, about all you will find is a few public records like when I bought my house, and what high school I went to.

I don't think this is a public facing website. I believe it's just a way for people within the company to communicate with each other. If this was something that people outside the company could see, I wouldn't consider it either. My guess is that globally visisble means anyone int he company could see it. Friends=friends within the company, but I'd assume anything I post on FB Business can be accessed by the company brass.

Ultimately, it's just a company bulletin board using a familiar interface

Back