Sex Ads 'Irresponsibly Placed' In Smartphone App For Kids

HardOCP News

[H] News
Talking Tom has some explaining to do. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that parents probably don't like ads featuring naked women talking dirty in apps for children. :eek:

Parents relayed their shock and anger to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after discovering their three, and seven-year-old children had seen the ads, which included the line “wanna f**k?”. The messages were played within the My Talking Tom app, next to a selfie of a naked woman sitting in front of a mirror.

Yet it's totally okay and socially acceptable for kids to see some guy get his hand chopped off with a light sword by his apparent father who's wearing a suit made of black plastic. Yup, the profanity needs to go and nudity is probably bad for you too, but there's so much violence out there that people see every day that it's just considered no big deal at all and that's a much bigger concern since all that gore leads to violent domestic disputes, murders, and any number of other things that are probably more un-okay than reproduction which is just gross, but at least no one dies when it happens.

Yet it's totally okay and socially acceptable for kids to see some guy get his hand chopped off with a light sword by his apparent father who's wearing a suit made of black plastic. Yup, the profanity needs to go and nudity is probably bad for you too, but there's so much violence out there that people see every day that it's just considered no big deal at all and that's a much bigger concern since all that gore leads to violent domestic disputes, murders, and any number of other things that are probably more un-okay than reproduction which is just gross, but at least no one dies when it happens.

Well if you are so offended by it, you should probably just go off the grid, live in a cabin in the woods, and mail bombs to those you feel are responsible.

Well if you are so offended by it, you should probably just go off the grid, live in a cabin in the woods, and mail bombs to those you feel are responsible.

Ugh, no thanks. Forests and cabins are for rednecks, hicks, and weirdos. You pretty much have to be a violent pickup truck and gun owner to qualify for someplace awful like that. I'm staying in a nice house where I can continue to make a positive difference in the world by sharing my super-smart ideas about things like this.

Uh, 21st century parenting mistake #1: You let your 3 y/o use a free app that contains ads? What planet are you on?

The fun part is that I am sure Talking Tom uses some kind of data mining service for its add platform, so it is showing adds that it thinks the user wants to watch. I have to wonder what the upset parents watch on their phone by themselves? ;)

The fun part is that I am sure Talking Tom uses some kind of data mining service for its add platform, so it is showing adds that it thinks the user wants to watch. I have to wonder what the upset parents watch on their phone by themselves? ;)

Exactly what I was thinking.

Some of the advertising platforms are very sketchy. You don't necessarily have any options of what will be featured. I guess the only thing you could do as a developer is drop that one and go with another that might be safer. Perhaps iAds from Apple.
However, you will also not make any money.

As someone else said earlier - if you are letting your kids use apps with ads, good luck!
(My kids used to use that app - I'm going to need to go through their iPads and see what they are running. Yeesh.)

You forgot to see who posted before you replied.. I almost did too. HAHAHAHAHA.

Ugh, no thanks. Forests and cabins are for rednecks, hicks, and weirdos. You pretty much have to be a violent pickup truck and gun owner to qualify for someplace awful like that. I'm staying in a nice house where I can continue to make a positive difference in the world by sharing my super-smart ideas about things like this.

Hehe, well played sir.

That being said, bad parenting and other factors are what produce killers, not violent video games.

If it was video games/movies, you would see a massive increase in violent crimes.

Hey everybody! It's the Christmas poo! :D

Every time an article about sexuality and children comes on, someone posts that we are all ok with violence with children, but we are puritans about sex and children. There's a big difference though. At a very early age, you can speak to kids about violence and its much easier concept for them to understand. They can get the consequence of someone getting hurt and why that is not a good thing.

If a 7 year old sees a video of a D getting slapped across a girls face and them evidently enjoying it, that might look like interesting behavior to replicate (everyone's happy, what a good time for all!). Violence and sex should be discussed with them before exposure. Easier to discuss violence.

I don't want my 7 YO daughter getting asked if she want's to F... Call me a Puritan.

So...just like staying up late and watching "chat line" commercials waaaay back in the 20th century.

I'm a redneck, hick and probably a weirdo. I do have a pickup truck and I own guns. I don't live in the woods and I have a nice house....mind blown!!!
In all seriousness, CUG, your troll posts make me laugh most of the time.

It was just a learning experience for them. The device happened to be teaching them the history of why the internet was created. :D

I'm a redneck, hick and probably a weirdo. I do have a pickup truck and I own guns. I don't live in the woods and I have a nice house....mind blown!!!
What? The defies all logic, reason, and every stereotype on the planet! :eek:

Jenna-Mind_blown.gif

In all seriousness, CUG, your troll posts make me laugh most of the time.

Aw gee, I'm always happy to see someone who doesn't take things too seriously. :D Then again, people that do get upset are okay too.

So...just like staying up late and watching "chat line" commercials waaaay back in the 20th century.

I'd say it's similar, but during Saturday morning cartoons.

Just a misplaced ad. Like a tampon commercial during a football game or other manly TV show. Does it suck? Yes, I'd be upset if my young child saw those ads. I'd complain, and I'd uninstall the app. Would I go farther than that? No.

Back