Courts Expand Class-Action Lawsuit Against Uber

HardOCP News

[H] News
More bad news from the courts today for Uber. How much more remains to be seen as the flood gates are now wide open for potential plaintiffs.

Many more Uber drivers in California can participate in a class action against the ride service over their employment status, a U.S. judge ruled on Wednesday, even if they did not opt out of an arbitration clause in their contracts. Drivers sued Uber in San Francisco federal court, contending they are employees and entitled to reimbursement for expenses, including gas and vehicle maintenance. The drivers currently pay those costs themselves.

Many more Uber drivers in California can participate in a class action against the ride service over their employment status, a U.S. judge ruled on Wednesday, even if they did not opt out of an arbitration clause in their contracts. Drivers sued Uber in San Francisco federal court, contending they are employees and entitled to reimbursement for expenses, including gas and vehicle maintenance. The drivers currently pay those costs themselves.

Way to be a tool of the cab unions, wipe out your employment opportunity, while destroy the ability of others to make a few extra bucks in their spare time.

Ubers model doesn't work if you are thier employee and they have to pay all the expenses.

Way to be a tool of the cab unions, wipe out your employment opportunity, while destroy the ability of others to make a few extra bucks in their spare time.

Ubers model doesn't work if you are thier employee and they have to pay all the expenses.

Well, if your business model is to dictate how, when, how much, and where to do business to your employees and somehow get away with classifying them as contractors, you're gonna have a bad time.

What they should be pivoting to is allowing the drivers to set their own pricing and service if they truly want to label their drivers as contractors.

Well, if your business model is to dictate how, when, how much, and where to do business to your employees and somehow get away with classifying them as contractors, you're gonna have a bad time.

They set the price, but the drivers decide if/when they want to pick people up.
To me that would make then contractors.

If my employer let me set my own hours, let me decide when I wanted to work and didn't, and decide which projects I wanted to take on, and ignore the projects I didn't, then yes, I'd consider myself a contractor.

They set the price, but the drivers decide if/when they want to pick people up.
To me that would make then contractors.

If my employer let me set my own hours, let me decide when I wanted to work and didn't, and decide which projects I wanted to take on, and ignore the projects I didn't, then yes, I'd consider myself a contractor.

The problem is they really don't. Uber has a means of prioritizing who gets what depending on their availability. Basically the only way to get jobs is be full time of you are in a busy area. If you want to be like me and just pick up the odd person when you have spare time. The only way that will happen is if no other drivers are available. Uber is getting sued because they are trying to use their software to treat their drivers like regular cab drivers without paying the penalties.

The problem is they really don't. Uber has a means of prioritizing who gets what depending on their availability. Basically the only way to get jobs is be full time of you are in a busy area. If you want to be like me and just pick up the odd person when you have spare time. The only way that will happen is if no other drivers are available. Uber is getting sued because they are trying to use their software to treat their drivers like regular cab drivers without paying the penalties.

This is 100% false. I have 2 friends that only drive as uber drives about 4-6 hours a week during surge pricing on the weekends and it works great for them. Uber prioritizes based on location. If you're a smart uber driver and you drive over to the bars near closing time, you're going to get prioritized over a dumb uber driver sitting in their house waiting for riders to come to them.

This is 100% false. I have 2 friends that only drive as uber drives about 4-6 hours a week during surge pricing on the weekends and it works great for them. Uber prioritizes based on location. If you're a smart uber driver and you drive over to the bars near closing time, you're going to get prioritized over a dumb uber driver sitting in their house waiting for riders to come to them.

I said busy areas, so no it isn't false in the least. If you aren't fortunate enough to be in a busy area and just want to pick up a ride here and there as time permits you won't get crap. I'm well aware how their model works as I tried it for a short time. There are too many "full time" drivers in my area so the times when I was available nothing ever came open. Literally in my area 45 other drivers had to be booked before I would get anything and that just never happens.

One has to wonder why these people signed up to be Uber drivers in the first place, when there was no promise made of things like fuel and maintenance reimbursement.

Back