How Much Would It Cost To Run The Millennium Falcon?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Have you ever wondered how much it would cost to run the Millennium Falcon? No? Me either, but that didn't stop these guys from crunching the numbers. If you ask me, $3 million a year doesn't seem like much.

We estimate that it would cost in excess of £2m in repairs and maintenance to keep the Millennium Falcon in service - although we're not exactly sure how much that is Galatic Credits. This figure is for a good year, in times of battling the Empire and navigating asteroid fields (as Solo is prone to do!) the already considerable costs would no doubt spike.

Yeah, the parsecs per gallon ratings are terrible on those older craft.

it was what, 16k credits to smuggler 2 guys off a planet middle of no where. how do you convert imperial credits to us dollars?

The only thing is, with warp technology and all that other space jazz, they can break rocky planets and asteroids up to mine for a hell of a lot of resources.. So materials would most likely be much, much cheaper.. And with that advanced technology most of the work is done by unpaid droids who's only cost is maintenance which most of the time they can do on themselves.

So it'd be hard to really make a comparison. Might really be more comparable to the price of upkeep on an SUV.

Hmmm, maybe they should have based their calculations on a ship that actually made it into space, like the NASA Space Shuttle.

Even if the numbers are in the ballpark, which as Fermi Problems show us, logical speculation can be usefully accurate, those numbers should be compared to something like the annual operating and maintenance cost of an F18. I bet they wouldn't seem so "extreme" then. Traveling 100's of lightyears at a whim? Landing on unprepared surfaces? VTOL? Advanced weaponry? If you leased the Falcon, you could pay back your annual costs with a single trip. People have paid more than that for trips to Earth orbit.

All you need to do is make a couple runs a year through the Kessel system! Pick up a load of Boosterspice and deliver it...without getting boarded by Imperials and having to dump your cargo.

There is a much better and vastly easier way to work this out.

Han agreed to transport Obi-Wan's party to Alderaan for "2000" (they might have been Hutt or Imperial currancy but that doesn't matter) - in the novelization Obi-Wan makes the argument that this is a fair sum for a passenger transport and Han's internal dialogue agrees that even if Obi-Wan is scamming him about the "15 when we reach Alderaan" it would have been worth his while. We can also infer then from other dialogue that Han's debt to Jabba the Hutt is less than "15 thousand".

Travel to Alderaan took less than one day (nobody is known to have slept anyway) but I'll generously assume that it took an entire work day, and that Han foresaw returning to Tatooine or another planet for the next job, so 1000 per day.

We know Luke sold his Landspeeder, about the equivalent of a moderately rusty used muscle car (Luke like to modify it and was known for hot-rodding), for less than 2000 because he expressed disappointment and Obi-Wan said "It will be enough" suggesting that he pitched in the balance. Luke must have entered negotiation optimistic that he could get 2000 for his Landspeeder.

Muscle cars on eBay in questionable cosmetic condition sell for around $2,000-5,000USD. I'll assume high-end on this one.

Han accepted the equivalent of $5,000 for two days work. If he works 5 days/week at this rate his gross income is about $651,785. It's impossible to say what proportion of his business expenses are ship upkeep but this is at least an upper limit.

Also interestingly enough at this rate his debt to Jabba must have been around $37,500 which sounds kind of low for what equates to a truckload of illicit drugs.

Everyone knows it would cost a large quantity of moogaplexers and fru-fru-fandu sparkles and that which each cost one handful of widdo wingo wings, which is the standard currency in the Made-Up Imaginary Land, and that converts to seventeen bags of pixie dust and two touches of a unicorn horn on your left shoulder. And my numbers are just as valid as any other amount since it's just a bunch of people playing pretend while making "vooop!" sounds with their mouths while they wave their arms as if they're holding a glowy sword.

The price to run/build one should be comparable to one of the German devices tested at the end of WW2.

Back