Redbox President Steps Down

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's not like this is surprising, the writing has been on the wall for ages. I'm actually rather impressed that Redbox has made it this long.

A disappointing revenue outlook for Redbox, whose red vending machines offer DVD rentals starting at $1.50 a day, shows that new movie titles and the addition of more videogames have not been enough to stave off the challenge posed by streaming rivals such as Netflix Inc. NFLX, +1.29% which also still rents out physical DVDs by mail.

Really hope they don't go under. There isn't a disc rental place within 45 miles of me.

It's my fault guys.

I literally only use promo codes for free Blu-rays, and those count as full rentals to accumulate for another free rental for every 10 rentals.

I haven't paid for a Redbox rental in years, and I get all my new releases from them and not Netflix.

I'm sorry.

I'm not sorry.

I like Redbox,they just need more movies that aren't crappy B movies that no one has ever heard of. I'm cheap,I'd rather wait a few months to get a movie at RB for 2 bucks than pay 6 bucks for a digital rental.

I like Redbox, but I rolled back my usage a lot because 90% of their Blu Rays have the HD audio stripped off of it. I know it's probably not their fault, but I'm voting with my wallet regardless.

I love Redbox. Anyone who has a home theater likes Redbox.

People that stream just want shit at their fingertips... even if it is shit quality. They are also praying (or are bliss to) data limits don't occur knowing how much bandwidth streaming costs.

Personally, I cut the cable at home, and I haven't even replaced it with streaming. Sadly, I have been too busy to grab any dvds from redbox either.

I use and love Redbox also! I hope they pull through! :)

Meh, I liked RedBox. It was a good way to get a quality blu-ray recent release on a whim.

I like Redbox and use their kiosks almost weekly. Sad news. :-(

I think they are being screwed by the movie cartel.
Their content had been declining for a while, so has my usage.
The entire idea of RedBox makes a lot of business sense, but that all stops when you are at the mercy of even larger business.
Netflix's content and even hulu's content are all dependent on billion-dollar corporation, netflix's content ebbs and changes, but they are hedging with their own content, red-box can't do that.
I think hollywood wants more of the 24hrs streaming 'rental' at 4-6$.. which is a ripoff really.
I mean not even a year, hell a week, access, no miserable 24hrs.

I used Redbox until, out of 5 DVDs I rented for a long weekend, I ended up with one... Only one... that would play in a set top DVD player.

They wern't scratched or damaged. They were "copy protected" so severely that you might as well have called them defective.

I figure at this point, if they're going to make it so difficult for me to watch something I legally rented, I'll just go back to pirating and save myself the hassle. Higher quality, too.

I think hollywood wants more of the 24hrs streaming 'rental' at 4-6$.. which is a ripoff really.
I mean not even a year, hell a week, access, no miserable 24hrs.

Finally, someone else who thinks $4 to $6 streaming rentals is absurd.

While we're on the topic, the prices to "purchase" digital content is completely ridiculous as well; full hd movies should cost $4 to $6 to "own".

Not good. Redbox is my go-to "legal" option for movies. I refuse to pay $4+ to rent a movie.. and I won't even get started on the $20 Amazon Video is charging for for each of the original Star Wars (with no rental option anywhere that I have found). With almost 15 kiosks in a 5 mile radius around my home, it is easy to stop and grab or return a movie leaving for work, coming home, picking up the kids from school, grabbing groceries, etc. Bring it home, rip, watch at my leisure, delete when done. Makes it simple to stockpile a list of movies I want to watch without worrying if some rental place has them in stock (if a physical rental place even existed anymore). Honestly, it's because of Redbox that I got away from the movie pirating scene. Sure, I have to pay a little, but I don't have to worry about DCMA notices, corrupt downloads, high bandwidth usage, or possible viruses. And like staknhalo mentioned, the number of free or BOGO offers even cuts that cost down (usually used for the kids movies since I just grab DVDs for them.. quality isn't a concern to 6 and 9 year olds).

I love Redbox. It's worth it to me to go to the box when they have a coupon going. Who doesn't love nearly free blu-ray rentals.

Redbox and others are always busy when I see them. I'll rent (DVDExpress here) Blu-ray's on the weekend, but it's hard to find the good ones in stock unless you're early.

I'd rather go to Redbox for a lot of movies than buy them or rent the streaming version. Many warrant a rent. And, physical media trumps streaming for home theater.

Not as big of a Redbox fan as I was a year ago. I reserve the disc online, zip over to the drugstore and pick it up. But always have to wait behind a line of people browsing the machine to either pick up or return discs.

I'd rather pay the $6 to rent the VOD version, especially if the disc is going to stripped of bonus features, commentary or HD audio. And the stupid "windowing" policy with video releases ensures Redbox is always the LAST vendor to get new movies.

Back