Google Exploring Fiber for Chicago and Los Angeles

Can't wait to see the amount of the "Fiber tax" Chicago will tack onto the service. :rolleyes:

Given there is a carrier hotel there in both cities they won't have to do much to get to one of their hubs.

Can't wait to see the amount of the "Fiber tax" Chicago will tack onto the service. :rolleyes:

It is an interesting experiment to be certain, if they manage to put into Chicago without too much headache, how about other cities that are equally "fee" oriented like NYC or SF.

It pretty much goes like this everywhere....

Louisville: "We're putting out an RFI on fiber ISPs."
AT&T: "Pass."
Google: "We are considering expanding our Google Fiber service to Louisville."
AT&T: "We're bringing our gigabit internet service to Louisville"

As long as the Chicago suburbs get it along with Chicago proper, I'm all for it. Screw Comcast, screw AT&T ... save us in Lombard, please!

It's a toss up whether L.A. will get it or not. The premise that it's needed for creative types is way off: several surrounding cities have already completed fiber projects and many tech headquarters are set up around those communities: http://nextcenturycities.org/member-cities/

The city of Los Angeles isn't a huge creative hub anyways. Good for residents if it's selected, but it's not going to help the other 75%+ of the people in "Los Angeles" (the County).

I got excited about this just like I got excited about finding out AT&T Gigapower is coming to LA. Then I realized it's only LA city. I only live in LA county

It pretty much goes like this everywhere....

This is exactly what happened to OKC. Ever since Google said they may potentially be coming to the area with fiber, Cox Communications ALL OF A SUDDEN has gigabit ethernet on the way. When before the max tier was 100mb for ridiculous prices.

Does anyone know a rough timeline from when they start laying fiber to when people can actually start getting it?

SLC was announced back in march and they started laying fiber but there has been no news of when people will actually be able to get it.

This is exactly what happened to OKC. Ever since Google said they may potentially be coming to the area with fiber, Cox Communications ALL OF A SUDDEN has gigabit ethernet on the way. When before the max tier was 100mb for ridiculous prices.

At least you didn't get caught with Google Spyber.

Cox has been advertising gigabit speeds for almost a year, yet there has been no mention of when it will be available, and no mention of cost.

EXACTLY the same thing here in the greater Phoenix area.

Google: <cough> Phoenix Fiber <cough>.
Cox: We are rolling out the gigabits very soon people.

Google doesn't have enough money to pay all those crooks in Chicago.:rolleyes: Google Fiber will never happen in NYC.

And the north east continues to remain untouched. Locked into municipal contracted monopolies. Yaaaay :/

problem is even being in a fiber city doesn't mean you are going to get it. Its looking like only a small subsection of Nashville is going to get it. Hopefully comcast will be scared enough to quit being such jerks to everyone else.

Chicago.. Yeah, I wish, but don't think it's gonna happen.

Chicago, the "Fuck you. Give us money!" capital of Illinois, the "Fuck you. Give us money!" state.

Yeah, don't think it's going to happen.

But FUCK it'd be nice!

I'm in LA county, Cox cable, the speed is nice, but I much rather have a half price cut. They keep bumping up double our speeds (but not the data caps) to justify raising prices when we were happy at half the speed we're at presently.

At the least I hope this threat gets the various internet providers around here to get off their asses and start upgrading their infrastructure.

As long as the Chicago suburbs get it along with Chicago proper, I'm all for it. Screw Comcast, screw AT&T ... save us in Lombard, please!

This.

Define "Chicago" please, Google--the city or the city plus the millions who live in the suburbs who would happily pay for your service as well (9.73 million as of 2011 city + 'burbs).

I thought internet service was nationally tax free?

No. Chicago will, of course, try to insert SOMETHING that'll funnel unearned money to them.

It'll be couched in a bunch of semi-reasonable-sounding bullshit.

Politicians here mastered the "blood from a stone" thing decades ago. They can even squeeze hard enough for diamonds to spurt.

So they're always on the lookout for new sources of revenue.

Would love some competition locally, but due to a legal monopoly Comcast is it; other than shitty DSL via CentryTel. We have miles of fiber in town, some of it a few blocks from where I live that is dark because Comcast blocks anyone from using it since by city ordnance, they are are the sole broadband provider until 2050 or something like that. The only legal alternative is ONE local telco.
So, no Google Fiber here.. ever.

I'm in LA county, Cox cable, the speed is nice, but I much rather have a half price cut. They keep bumping up double our speeds (but not the data caps) to justify raising prices when we were happy at half the speed we're at presently.

This.

Every year or so, they raise the speed, and make a big deal about how they are providing more speed at the same price. Then, 6 months later they announce a price increase.
Only choice if you don't really need the extra speed, is to downgrade to a lower plan, but they make the lower plan so slow (like less than 1/10 the speed), that it is too slow for most people.

I don't get what the point is of you people complaining it won't happen. Are we all supposed to be supporting this here at the [H]??

I don't get what the point is of you people complaining it won't happen. Are we all supposed to be supporting this here at the [H]??

Why are YOU complaining? :rolleyes: People are stating facts just like all terrorists are Muslims. Call a spade a spade.

Gosh I hope they do the burbs of Chicago!

This. I actually figured Chicago itself wouldn't get it (or maybe just the rich parts), but other areas like Evanston will. There are plenty of suburbs that deserve it, and could easily get the infrastructure going fast (if it isn't already there), like the Lombard/Downers Grove/Oakbrook area, Naperville/Lisle, Schaumburg/Barrington, Skokie/Evanston, etc.

I actually think Chicago has a good chance at getting it. Rahm is all about helping big business get into Chicago. Google just opened up new offices in Chicago.

For crying out loud, bring it to the other "potential" cities already before announcing even more potential cities! (My city has been on that "potential" list for a while, even though the local government rolled out the red carpet for them, passing every law change they wanted!)

Close to what has happened in Raleigh/Triangle. TWC has bumped up everyone in the google fiber area to ~10x their original speeds (TWC Maxx as they call it) so they don't lose their entire user base en masse once fiber comes around.
The triangle being heavily tech savvy is especially on the fiber bandwagon, I can't wait to see how terribly TWC will be hit here.

Back