Seeing Around Corners Using Lasers

There are times when I try to look forward and imagine what the future might be like, and frequently, because of my history in the military, future combat is a feature I spend some time with. For awhile I was playing with the idea that stealth technologies had progressed to such a degree that future combat had become a big game of hide and seek in which the combatants played an elaborate game of trying to find as many of the enemy as possible without being found themselves, and that nobody dared shoot until you think you have a winning solution, then everyone fires at once at targets that each soldier has been designated.

So it's creep, and search, and spot, and target, but don't shoot yet, others move and target, and eventually one side thinks they can take out enough of the enemy first and all hell breaks loose and all that tension and stress leads to a couple of seconds of frantic shooting and victory is measured in the space of a seconds.

Technology like this always brings back this scenario for me.

I also wonder what Hollywood could do with this vision of future combat, the suspense would be crazy.

There are times when I try to look forward and imagine what the future might be like, and frequently, because of my history in the military, future combat is a feature I spend some time with. For awhile I was playing with the idea that stealth technologies had progressed to such a degree that future combat had become a big game of hide and seek in which the combatants played an elaborate game of trying to find as many of the enemy as possible without being found themselves, and that nobody dared shoot until you think you have a winning solution, then everyone fires at once at targets that each soldier has been designated.

So it's creep, and search, and spot, and target, but don't shoot yet, others move and target, and eventually one side thinks they can take out enough of the enemy first and all hell breaks loose and all that tension and stress leads to a couple of seconds of frantic shooting and victory is measured in the space of a seconds.

I also wonder what Hollywood could do with this vision of future combat, the suspense would be crazy.

I don't know, it seems like if that were the situation they'd just pull out and bomb the hell out of the entire area they suspect to contain enemy soldiers.

I don't know, it seems like if that were the situation they'd just pull out and bomb the hell out of the entire area they suspect to contain enemy soldiers.

Technology in warfare is to maximize enemy death and minimize friendly/civilian casualties. Bombs don't really play well with that kind of precision.

This is a recreation of existing technology.

I am glad more people are researching this.

Using lightwaves, and the rippled responses we will be able to enable wall hacking AR

You gota find them first, the stealth thing remember.

This is the future, let's go to space where I first imagine this, a boarding action where you are trying to take control of an enemy ship. Once you have gained the ability to dock/board the enemy vessel, the moment your boarders enter the breach they would be subject to counter attack from the vessels crew. Flash back to the opening of the first Star Wars movie. But instead of a classic gun battle raging down the hallways you don't see anyone, but they are somewhere, you know they are somewhere. If you bull your way in you'll get shot to hell. Instead your stealth guys have to carefully and methodically move through the ship room by room while both locating the enemy while not being located yourself. Drones can be used as sacrificial pawns to blast out radiated energy to help identify the enemy or to act as snoops helping to find them while acting as a temptation to the enemy who just can't stand waiting to see who finds enough of who first.

Anyway, it's a possibility I find interesting.

I keep hoping mankind will outgrow the need for war. But it's wishful thinking, for now.

I keep hoping mankind will outgrow the need for war. But it's wishful thinking, for now.

Perhaps we'll outgrow it, but I doubt it. I say this because I doubt we can create a world for ourselves where the motivations for war are absent.

Maybe if we can somehow manage a world government and some sort of equality but as long as different cultures have such different outlooks on life I don't see it happening.

Not unless one culture wins out and exterminates all of it's unruely neighbors. Iam just not sure what kind of victory that would be, nor where such a government would lead us to.

I think that in order to accommodate fastly different cultures in this world that we need to accept that we won't always play well together. It's either that or be ready to accept genocide hoping that the extermination will lead to a healthier future.

I'm not ready to accept that level of intollerance myself. But some are, some most certainly are.

Back